1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

****Colonial Arms Chokes**** Opinions???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Easystreet, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Looking for opinions of the Colonial Arms chokes....... especially the stainless Sporting Clays extended chokes. Anyone use these? How do they pattern? How about quality of construction, smoothness, concentricity, etc???? Thanks.

Easystreet

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I had a brand new Colonial choke tube in my 30" M-32 barrel. 8 shells later the barrel is now 28" and has Briley thinwalls and my wallet is $1,100 lighter. Bill Malcolm

3. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Bill im just curious what happened that made you decide to shorten your barrel were they that bad ive never tried them to know. Kirk

4. Beretta687EELL

I bought the K gun from a dealer who used it for skeet, so both barrels had skeet tubes in them. I shoot trap, so we traded one (since he only had one) of my skeet tubes for a new IM tube he had in inventory. Swapped them in the shop and went to the club. Smoked 8 targets and then couldn't hit much after the first 8 shots. Long story short, the tube blew out of the gun and bulged the barrel. BS excuses from everyone and after waiting for over 2 years to have promises kept, I sent my barrel to Briley. The barrel was too badly damaged to repair and had to be shortened 2", tubes installed, hanger redone and barrel re-blued. Bill Malcolm

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Bill,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm not trying to make excuses for the Colonial Arms choke, but maybe that particular choke tube wasn't made for or intended for use in your gun.

I'm very cautious about any choke tubes that I use. Before using them in my gun, I'll check to make sure that they are fully seated into the ledge in the barrel and I run a bent paper clip around the ledge to make sure that the skirt of the choke doesn't protrude into the bore.

If the choke is properly seated, doesn't protrude into the bore, and the threads are the correct size/pitch, then there's little chance of the choke causing any problems with the barrel, IMO.

Again, sorry to hear about your problem, and thanks for your comments.

Easystreet

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are better quality ones out there for not a lot more money...try Carlsons, Hastings or Trulocks..all great and very easy on the wallet

7. Beretta687EELL

I'm going back probably 7 or 8 years. I believe that the dealer I bought the gun from installed the Colonial tubes in the barrel in the first place. He shot the gun himself. The tube in my gun was supposed to be new and unused. I called Colonial and all they asked was if I had used choke tube grease. The dealer promised to replace the barrel and never came through. The dealer has since died and as far as I am concerned so did Colonial. As per another thread, Briley makes mistakes like the rest of us do, but they stand behind their work and products. Bill Malcolm

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Use Wrights Chokes and be done with it end of story. They are simply the best damn choke tube you can use no matter what type clay target sport you are shooting.----Matt

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Had Colonial Thinwalls put in a M12 SR. Same result as Bill had. Same lot of excuses. Never again.

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I have some thin wall tubes in my BT-99 (my son shoots it now) and have had NO problems. Had a very good g-smith put them in (Thurman Goble). I now prefer extended choke tubes (ease of putting in/taking out) but would have no problem going back to colonial tubes based on prior experience.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

if your getting threads cut let briley do it, they are standard equiptment on some very high end guns, they do a ton of these, i dont even see that many colonial chokes, if its a nice gun i wouldnt chance it.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

that blow out had nothing to do with the choke tubes unless the back of the choke tube was damaged and protruding into the barrel when you shot it

Colonial makes a good product

Installation on the other hand is whomever did it- and that is not always so good

you also have to check the tubes to make sure they are tight-

if tubes arent tight or concentric- you can get gas blowing into the gap and gradually it will bend the tube in further to the barrel- making an obstruction

Any tube if it has been dropped or isnt concentric will protrude into the bore and that will get worse shot after shot

I had a barrel that wrights threaded and that barrel was returned several times and they never got it right--- their choke tubes always came loose-- wrights made excuse after excuse after excuse- I personally might buy a choke tube from them but I would never ever have them thread a barrel- they just would not own up to their mistake== because they didnt want to purchase a new K-80 barrel - bad buisness for Wrights- bad response

When you thread an existing barrel- it has to be perfect - or it weakens the barrel

Thus the selling point for Briley and Angleport and the others that thread it with a square pattern- it doesnt weaken the barrel anywhere near as much- square shoulder bearing on each thread-

You still to check to make sure the tube isnt damaged and that it remains tight

btw- Krieghoff used to have a box of blown out or damaged choke tubes - factory tubes from customers guns--- factory choked guns- their barrels nearly always survived it-

regards from Iowa

Gene Nosco

13. JRW

JRW Member

I had them in a mono gun several years ago. The only problem was no one had replacements due to different threads. That may be changed now. Jerry in MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
choke tube colonial
colonial arms
colonial arms choke tubes
colonial arms chokes

colonial choke tubes

colonial choke tubes review
colonial choke tubes reviews
colonial chokes