1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

collet sticking on 9000g 28ga?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The collet on my 28ga 9000g is sticking pretty good. when I put a hull in and pull down the handle, everything is fine, but when I go to let it back up, it'll go a little bit, then lock, and you really have to horse it to get the collet to release to get the handle back up. I've put synthetic grease on it, no change, and the mec graphite grease as well with no change. I'll probably take it all apart later this week, just looking if anyone has any other thoughts besides taking it apart (don't really want to if I don't have to, its not hard to do, just very time consuming).

2. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

sounds like you got shot in there.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you need to take it apart and clean it good . The anti sieze works ok but will dry out I found that case lube is better. When you get it out take a hack saw and cut a groove in bottom where the nut goes on, makes it easy to screw in and hold

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Before you take it apart you can use a dental pic and try to dislodge any shot that is stuck in the slots that are between the collet fingers. You might get lucky and fix the problem. HMB

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Hey Ricks1, I like your idea on the slot and am going to try that next one I have apart. Instead of the hacksaw, couldn't I just use a saw blade in the dremel tool? I have 3 dremels sitting at the repair bench. I have gotten more gunk all over me and this will be solved by your suggestion for the blade slot. I also like the accuracy and the chance to even out the wear by turning the collet with the screwdriver. Hey Skeet Man, drive on over to Omaha Nebraska and bring your 9000G. I can't wait to try Ricks1 idea. Thanks Ricks1 Your Collet May Vary Omaha

6. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have experienced similar problems with all four gauges on my Mec Grabber reloaders. Last night I was loading AA 28 ga. old style shells that had been reloaded several times. Pulling the handle down was no problem - but coming back up the handle would "stick" and need to be forced up. I've checked the collet for shot and can't see anything. Used the dental pic like someone suggested with no improvement.

Then an odd thing happened. I found some once fired "old" AA 28 ga. empties and started reloading them. Mysteriously no more shell "sticking" when moving the handle on the upstroke ! ! The only difference seemed to be using once fired empties instead of the ragged ones.

I think I will try some once fired 20 ga. AA's ( old style ) to see if I experience the same effect - that is, no shell sticking.

Sorry, don't have an answer to your question, but thought I could add additional info.

I have often thought there might be shot deep in the collet as I experience some shot spillage from time to time - but have never figured out how to get the collet completey out/off of the reloader (?)

If you figure it out share with the group

Noel

7. TLEE

TLEE TS Member

WHen mine hangs like that it is usually the collett adjusting nut hanging up against the base of the reloader. Do a minor tweak to the nut and see if it helps

8. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

One more suggestion: take the MEC sliding collet nut off... and leave it off.

The base sizer then no longer functions, but you did not need it. Your reloads are fire-formed to your gun any way. Can't get any better than that.

Removing the MEC sliding nut and related linkage solved many problems.

9. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Hope you don't mind me butting in but I have a similar problem with my 28ga 9000g. My handle however will stop dead halfway down and it won't budge, if I raise it up all the way it will then come down but the shells have advanced and it's a mess. A couple of times it's mushroomed out the brass on the bottom. This may be a similar problem so I thought I would ask. Oh, and once in a while I'll raise the handle after it has gone down all the way and the primer is still in the cup and powder pours through the primer hole! Related? Thanks. Mike.

10. willing

willing Member

Try this for cleaning collet.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=148737

Bill

11. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Sticking Mec Collet? Press binds on the upstroke? Primers pop out of their hole in the plate? Worse, your primers flip upside down? Here is a a link to how I solved the problem. http://www.spolargold.com/spolar.htm
    LOL!!!

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Well, I finally got some ambition to look at my press. I completely removed the collet, and even though I'd lubricated the fingers when everything was completely assembled, the inside was bone dry where you couldn't reach unless you took it apart. I could see spots where the collet had begun to friction weld itself in place, with little lines in the "collet cup" for lack of a better term (the part that closes the collet fingers) that corresponded with the cutouts in the collet. I cleaned everything up real good, and dressed down the lines in the "cup" with some 400 grit sandpaper, applied some Super Lube grease (one of the ones recommended on shotgunworld, has some sort of teflon stuff in it), and now everything is right as rain, better than new. Did my 3 other 9000gs while I had some ambition, fixed the problem with the .410 that was mushrooming the shell heads occasionally (the bottom of the collet was dirty and not allowing the shell lifter to go down all the way), fixed the primer flipping issue on the 20ga (again a lack of lubrication on the collet caused it to "snap" open, which would toss the primer), and did the 12ga just for good measure. Reset the brass sizing as well to SAAMI spec (always did it by eye and if it fit in the gun it was good enough before).

13. Doug39

Doug39 TS Member

I had the same problem on my 12ga. 9000 today after i spilled some shot. I readily got the spilled shot from the inside of the collet--my problem was a few pieces on the outside, some of them between the collet and the main post. Once I used a dental pick on them problem was solved. It was a lot easier to do than taking the collet apart. By the way I usually use Slip 2000 as my lubricant. Easy to apply and does not dry up. Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.