1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Collectors Colt Army Special

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by lsvgail9, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsvgail9

lsvgail9 TS Member

0   0   0

Collectors Colt Army Special.
    1923 100% $795 you pay shipping to the ffl Dealer.

call ronald 702-363-2894

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Nice looking gun~~~ :)

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

0   0   0

Barrel length?

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Pic plz.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I don't know about you but I tkink it is way over priced especially for that condition. Bulge.

6. 6chuter

6chuter Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Ronald,

Please show pictures and give caliber, barrel length, price, etc. of all the revolvers you are selling. It would really help in selling them. Especially to Colt collectors.

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

0   0   0

I'm going to have to look this one up. A friend gave me an old (1924) Colt Army Special 38 last year for some work I did cleaning and selling a bunch of his guns. Some of you bought those guns.
    Anyway, he gave me the pistol, I sent it to Colt and had it reblued, tuned etc. That cost me $200 + shipping. Mine looks new because it is nearly new. Pix, after the reblue, are at the above link if anyone is interested. The action in this pistol is very close to a Python action - smooth and crisp. That's how they built them back in the day.

More later

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

0   0   0

100% my ass!

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

0   0   0

OK. Fjestad's Blue Book from 2006 (you can adjust for inflation) has the following info:

ARMY SPECIAL MODEL - .32-20 WCF, .38 (various), and .41 Colt cals., 4, 4 1/2, 5, and 6 in. barrels, hard rubber grips standard through 1923 - checkered wood with medallions beginning about 1924, blue finish, fixed sights, rounded checkered cylinder release thumb catch, smooth trigger, has heavier frame than New Navy, approx. ser. no. range 291,000-540,000, last patent date on barrel was July 4, 1905. Mfg. 1908-27.

100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10%

$750 $675 $500 $400 $325 $295 $275 $250 $225 $200 $185 $175

Add 15% for nickel finish.
    Subtract $50-75 if hard rubber grips are chipped.

If I were to consider buying this pistol, at a minimum I'd need to know the following:

1. Caliber

2. Barrel length

3. Type of grips

4. Ownership history - hard to think ronald is the original owner

5. I'd want independent verification that the gun is in 100% condition. This would have to mean that it has NEVER been out of the box, NEVER fired and nearly NEVER handled.

6. Serial number

7. Photos - and they have to be crisp and clear enough to be able to read the engraving on the barrel and see the roll marks etc.

Converting from the NRA standards to Fjestad's:
    New/Perfect 100% with or without box. Not mint - new (i.e., no excuses). 100% on currently manufactured firearms assumes NIB condition and not sold previously at retail.

This is the gun that was renamed the Colt Official Police (@ 1927) and was the main sidearm for many a police force up until 1969, when Colt stopped making them. It was originally named the "Army Special" strictly for marketing purposes; most sidearms were associated with the military and the folks at Colt thought it would sell better. It was never adopted by the Army, however many were sold to not only the US military but also other governments, including Greece.

Movie trivia: In the movie The Untouchables, when Kevin Costner and Sean Connery go to the Police shooting range and find Andy Garcia, the longer barreled pistol Garcia is shown shooting is a Colt Army or Police. I believe it's also used in the scene, both by Costner and Garcia, in the train station when one of the bad guys swallows Garcia's bullet.

Thousands of these guns were made, so rarity is not a defining characteristic of these guns.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS Zardozforty: I have some time and effort and @$300 total invested in my Army Special. It's a very nice pistol with a superb action. I am not a Colt collector and frankly would probably not have bought the gun. It fell into my lap, so to speak, and under the circumstances I thought bringing it back to 'like new' was a decent investment. BTW, I've taken it to the range and it shoots like a dream - not recommended for +P ammo, although I've seen mixed opinions. The frame is very sturdy and could probably handle it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.