1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

collector value ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rustygun, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustygun

rustygun Member

I inherited some guns from my Dad, I don't intend to sell them so a dollar value isn't really the question I'm asking. Two guns are nib, never assembled, mod 63 win, and a belgium grd 2 browning 22. My question is this, in the future, if I have secure place to display this guns would assembly make a huge difference in value?

Thanks, Steve

2. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Two years ago at the Tulsa gun show I sold a Winchester model 63 in the box that the previous owner told me he assembled and displayed. Knowledgeable collectors that were interested in this gun could tell this. Small scratches and dings etc. This gun sold for much less than a unassembled gun. At the same show a dealer had a Winchester model 61 in the box that he assembled and put on the table. That gun sold for less. Collectors such as my self would prefer to buy guns that have never been assembled and with all the paper work. Much more desirable and rare thus more money. Displaying a vintage gun such as yours is much more impressive in the box than assembled.

If you decide to sell I would be interested.

3. mt

mt Member

i absolutely agree with Whiz-Bang. That has been my experience as well.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The value of a gun is based on supply and demand. The supply of unassembled vintage guns is very low.

Pat Ireland

5. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

One thing for sure, if you put it together you can't look back. If you aren't going to shoot them, think about it.

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

At one point the gun had been assembled. Maybe not since it left the factory.
    I am sure the gun has been test fired. i know of a collection of Winchester Commeratives that have never been removed or visually looked at i n most of 40 yrs. But to attempt to sell them the customer will want to see merchandise.
    Sioux,Little Big Horn,Apache,66 Comm.,67 Can.Comm.and many others.

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

But what about the demand part Pat.... is there comparatively large demand for these disjointed virgins?

Other than the prospect of increase in value, I personally don't get the desire to own such a piece.

If you could imagine an assembly line that produced beautiful woman--the whole is the beauty, not the disassembled components....

Guy Babin

8. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Yes there is a demand. Providing they are pre 64. Some collectors consider nib guns the best in there collection. They are considered investments. They don't make them any more. They were made in a era that we will never see again. There are plenty of shooters out there. What part of this don't you understand?

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

A gun that is not assembled to me is not the entity complete--something less than the complete unit it was designed to be aesthetically.

I do understand the value to a collector and dealer of a NIB thankyouverymuch--I'm not a collector nor a dealer however.

My point was lost in the translation, i.e.:

I love guns for their fine engineering, their lines, feel, wood, and how they go bang when you pull the trigger. My overunders for example are much more handsome when put together than when laying there in the gun case in three pieces.

The answer to Steve is yes; however, if he wants to enjoy them without regard to future resale, put the beauties together and enjoy them.

No worries, each to their own.

Guy B.

10. mallardbend

mallardbend TS Member

I think the bulk of answers received are pointing to two different sides of "value". Steve's initial question was "would assembly make a huge difference in value." Value here is in monetary value and the fact remains that assembled guns demand less value than never assembled guns, particularly pre-64 as previously pointed out. Thus if in the future you plan to sell and you want to maximize the value of the guns then leave them unassembled in the box. If you never plan on selling them, then, the question of value is much more moot since the guns only have an intrinisc value to the owner (the other value folks have tried to partition out here). If this type of value is more important to you then go ahead and assemble and enjoy them (since they will not ever be sold at least by you).

Kody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.