1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Collectibles Insurane

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bridger, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

Anyone insure their firearms through this company? The rate is much lower than what I am paying through Sportsman's Insurance Agency. They quoted me $137 for a yearly blanket $20,000 policy which is a lot less than what I am now paying. I can't see what differences there would be on coverage as both say they are an all risk policy. They require you schedule any firearm over $5000 in value but otherwise do not require you to schedule each individual firearm. Sportsmans requires you to list every firearm. Seems like the coverage through Collectibles is a better deal unless I'm missing something.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Check out what they pay. Sportsman's and one other agency are unique in that they insure your gun for current list price. If it is lost or stolen, you get a new one.

With typical insurance coverage, you get a used gun of the same type if they can find one, or the depreciated value based on what you initially insured it for.

There is a huge difference between these two types of policies. Plus with Sportsman's and the other similar policy, it is all physical risk coverage. One of my friends tripped and fell with his custom stocked Perazzi. He scratched up the stock and the bluing. His insurance covered reblueing and refinishing the stock. You have to check to see whether "physical risks" mean all, or just some.

3. Bridger

Bridger Member

Gary Waalkes: there's no point in lying in an insurance application as your coverage depends on being truthful. I'm not in the habit of doing otherwise.

Sportsmens is an all risk policy covering only the specific guns listed on the policy for the MSRP value of that gun. Collectibles is a blanket policy that covers your entire collection up to the limits of the policy and apparently covering guns for the Actual Cash Value of the gun, an amount that is undetermined and would depend on several variables. That is what appears to be one difference in the policies.Apparently you can schedule valuation on guns exceeding $5K. Both have their benefits. I have yet to determine if coverage is extended beyond your home premises and if there are specific exclusions to the Collectible policy that differ from Sportsmens. The coverage would be next to worthless if it doesn't apply away from home but in the scenarios I gave them they did not indicate that coverage would not apply. If anyone has the Collectibles policy and can add more infomation it would be helpful.

4. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

I have Collectibles, I use it for home and gun shows. They leave it as a grey area if you take your gun hunting, or to the range. Their out of the country limit is $55,000.00. There is probably better insurance for hunting, and shooting. If you would, can you send me a contact person at Sportsmans. coldtrail@comcast.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.