1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coles Gunsmithing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HoosierHawk95, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

I am currently shooting a Beretta 682 Gold E and I am having problems with the stock as a result of the poor factory hardware on the adjustable comb as well as screws used to attach the plastic to the stock from the factory. I have spoken with Coles about having a stock custom made. Kelly was very helpful and provided great information over the phone.

Can anyone on the site provide opinions as to the work and service from Coles on custom made stocks? Thanks in advance for your information.

2. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Rich Cole is the man when it comes to any Beretta shotguns. He is factory trained and has lots of experience with both the standard line and custom Beretta shotguns. He is soon to open a second location in Naples Florida.

Steve

3. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I have done business with Cole over the years and always had great results and reasonable prices. Dale

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I have used Cole's with very good results. However, unless you know exactly what dimensions you want, I am not sure it would be wise unless you are going for a fitting?! Furthermore, I had that cheap hardware on 2 Berettas! In my opinion, it was not very good or durable or reliable. That said, there are plenty of guys who can replace with good standard adj comb hardware. Why not save a bunch of cash and get the comb converted?! Tom Rhoads

5. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Depending on how long you've been shooting, Rich Cole will probably have a couple of options for you. If you haven't been shooting for a long time, or haven't shot the gun that long, he might recommend an upgrade/fix on the Beretta comb adjusting hardware. He told me recently he wants a shooter to be committed to a specific style of shooting before he makes a stock for them. There's no point in dropping big money on a custom made stock if a shooter is still getting used to a gun or a particular style that suits them. If you want a new stock, by all means, go for it. For the money, Joel Etchen makes a set of replacement hardware that is top-notch. I would certainly recommend Cole's for any gunwork. It's also a beautiful spot in Maine to visit.

6. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Good post tallpaul.that makes a lot of sense!!!!!.Rich Cole does prime work too.I wouldn't hesitate having him make me a stock.

Sandy Holehouse.

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

there is an aftermarket retrofit for those beretta factory adj. combs--i know carroll lance in rushville mo. has installed them-- i think graco makes them-- i will be with coles former wood manager-wayne anderson- this weekend (dove hunting in the sandhills of neb)--he really has good things to say about rich cole

8. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

These people offer what you need to fix your comb hardware woes and are sponsors of this site. http://stockpositioning.com/

Doc

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

CraCoil also makes replacement comb hard wear. I have it in my 682 Gold E. Work great.

10. folothru

folothru Member

check out add a rib and braun stock positioning system you will be real happy this all metal hard ware and is under a hundred bucks !!

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Joel Etchen sells replacement hardware. If you want a true custom fitted stock by one of the best go to Dennis DeVault. Otherwise get a PFS. Dennis built a custom stock for my 682 Gold E. If I did not win the stock in a raffle I would have stayed with my PFS. Honestly a 682 is not worth the installation of a custom stock. If you own a Perazzi or a K gun go for it.

Phil Berkowitz

12. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

I agree with you Phil in that I really do not to pay the money for a custom stock for a 682, although I really like the gun. The factory stock actually fits me pretty well; however, there is a crack in the comb from tightening the screws too tight which is a problem with Beretta's design. When the gun came from the factory the screws that held the adjustable hardware in were all of a different size, now some of the holes have gotten enlarged to the point that any screws will be too big to fit the hardware (they were also of different lengths). In talking to folks who sell Berettas they have told me they are not surprised by this.

I have the Etchen hardware in the comb at this time but I think there may be too many issues to deal with and a new stock would be the best route to go. If I do not get a custom stock made I will probably purchase a Beretta stock from Coles and have them cut an adjustable comb, use their hardware and install an adjustable butt plate.

Thanks to all for your comments and advice.

13. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

From what I remember years ago Cole didnt do any wood work, they recommended firms that did. Maybe things have changed. Lee

14. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had a Beretta bunker gun made for me by Rich Cole. Top notch work. Would not hesitate recommending him to anyone. Chichay

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

HH95,

Send the stock to Tron and he can get you all fixed up. Great work and speedy service.

TronSpace Gunworks

Joseph L. Bowles

Telephone: (248) 884-1577

E-mail: joe@tronspace.com

ss

16. legman

legman Member

"Honestly a 682 is not worth the installation of a custom stock"
    OOWW Phil, that's gonna leave a mark. Kenny Bruggeman

17. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Hoosier, I can't speak to the quality of Coles gunsmithing. I will say that I have never heard anything bad about them. I it is better hardware you want for your stock I believe that Graco makes drop in parts to replace the factory adjustment hardware. If not then you can get it from Joel Etchen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

coles gunsmithing