1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cole Progress

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well friends.. As you can see the Titanium Cole is taking shape.. There will be a lonely ONE made.. but with 5 barrels.. Still have to make the titanium trigger assembly. and who knows??? maybe a titanium barrel..It's been a long road.. and not even close to being finished yet.. but.. getting closer.. To my friends.. you're all welcome to shoot it when its finished.. for those of you who have been less than friendly.. a kind word would be meaningful.. All Good.. Mike

2. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Thanks for the update , now I can sleep tonight !

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Loks pretty good Mike. What kind of cutting tools are you using to machine the Ti. Some of that stuff can be a real PITA to machine.

Jim

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

didn't even get a mention about the picture resize--motordoc--only kidding

5. snowful

snowful TS Member

Mike, are you also constructing the barrels from titanium?

Stan

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Mike: A company I was involved in made all of the Weatherby wood stocks for a few years, Protostar Technologies here in Rapid City. In fact, the past owner just called me tonigh with a computer question. Protostar is no longer.

Anyway, he had a second FADAL CNC machine which was rarely used and was a longbed one for making barrels. Another company bought us out. The new owner is a past machinist from H-S Precision here.

I could put you in touch with them if you are interested. This is the same company that I was working with making the adjustable stocks for the Perazzis. I should have started on a Seitz or Cole as the inletting would have been easier. We had it all done except the contours at the receiver.

Whiz

7. snowful

snowful TS Member

Mike, please keep us posted. I, for one, really like what you are doing.

Stan

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stan.. send me an E-mail and I'll share with you as things progress..Paul Sachow from Simmons is biting at the bit to barrel,choke and rib it.. He's done great work for me in the past.. The first 36" barrel will be fixed rib..but I have an adjustable rib in mind..that will pivot in the mono-block and adjust from the front.. It will have spacers to raise or lower the rib.. 1 screw to lock it in place..

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Nice picture. Lots of luck Mike.

Keep me posted too.

Sure glad mine is the lighter one for I could never attempt what you are doing. Way too much work.

Will still make it there sometime, just do not know when.

I seem to procrastinate too much as I get older. Ray.......

10. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

I think this is awesome. To someone who doesn't know how this is done this is like magic. Well done.

Mike

11. mt

mt Member

that is so cool

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

WOW!!! That really looks good Mike! Bet your like the kid waitin on Christmas huh? I know I would be too! Hap

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

slow but sure

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

another shot

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Mike: Will any of these be for sale?

Thanks.

Whiz

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My agreement with Mr. Cole is I can copy or modify his original design with his blessings..but NOT for resale.. Maybe.. if people like them.. he'll add it to his line.. that's why there are so many mono-blocks.. I'll have an assortment of barrels for people to try.. from 30" on up.. Now.. the forend iron will have a weight savings..and trigger assembly too.. I don't think it's enough to matter..but that might be a different story. Any part in the gun would be less expensive from Mr. Cole in steel.. The cost of this project is past what a Cole cost new..and closer to a New Seitz. (which I could never afford) Being able to build this a dollar at a time made it possible.. Anyway.. if all this works out..Over/Under in 20 gauge is next..On taller frame All Good.. Mike

17. Rob Long

Rob Long TS Member

Mike,

This is amazing !!! Thanks for sharing !!

Rob Long

18. snowful

snowful TS Member

Mike, a top lever made of carbon fiber bonded to tool steel would be way over the top........

Stan

19. hsharief

hsharief TS Member

I'm always amazed by people who can "carve" pieces of art out of blocks of metal/clay/wood.

Mike, or anyone else, would you Please briefly explain the benefits or otherwise of having the locking block (or latch in Kreighoff) above the chamber(s) compared to other designs. Perazzi and Beretta (68x) have it between their O/U chambers. How's that comparable ?

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In the Krieghoff..K-32 or Remington 3200 the top latch actually pushes the barrel down with the angles on the hood.With a Perazzi..the angle on the locking lug..as it engages the barrel ears does the same thing..On the Beretta 680..the locking pins have a slight taper to there face to again do the same thing. It's pretty slick.. and looks good too. Actually.. in a shotgun.. the need for huge locking ability just isn't needed.. Look at the 2 small ears on a Perazzi.. or pins in the Beretta.. Browning actually has a pretty big bottom locking lug..(that wears in.. and not out??????) They all wear.. The thing about the Cole that I really like is FIRST.. it has a top lever.. My right hand was crushed as a child..and I can easily work the top lever.. The release on my Seitz I work pretty good too.. I found the Mach1 and Ljutic both fine guns..but hard to operate with my right hand..The design of the Cole leaves it to open with next to no pressure..yet..I think it has the largest locking block in the industry (not that you need it for 12,000 psi)and once easily closed.. it is as tight as a bank vault.. With proper lubrication well over 500,000 rounds are easily shot before you'd need to consider replacing any major parts.. The hingle pin has enough metal in it to make at least 2 for any other gun that I know of..and its easily changed.. I've seen the Cole rebarreled for 55,000psi rifle shells.. and it worked flawlessly. Remember.. if that flyes open.. you have a real problem.. Next.. as gunsmiths are fewer and fewer.. the ability to repair your own gun will be more manditory..I can honestly say you could make any PART you might need with a drill press and handfiles if you didn't have a lathe or mill.(no.. that does not include the receiver,mono-block or trigger assembly) Just the cocking pin..(which can and will wear..ever so slightly) firing pin.. which could break..and flat locking lug..which even when its worn out (which I've never seen) the gun is still perfectly safe by design. Yes.. Mr. Cole designed a fantastic weapon.. Anyway.. If any of you have had ANY gun fly open when you shoot it.. from a crack barrel to a Bowen..remember..it can never happen with a Cole..Or maybe I should say.. I don't know how it could happen. If anyone has the details of oneactually opening .. for any unwanted reason.. I'd be glad to hear from you.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.