1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Weather Shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mad frank, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

Hi everybody. I have been shooting trap for about 7 years now and have this problem that palgues me every time I shoot in cold winter weather. My highest average in 16 yard targets has been .98 which was shot during the summer months. It seems that when I practice in the winter, my scores decline by about 9 targets in 100. I have heard people say that extra clothing changes your LOP etc; however, I think of this as trivial and feel that it souldn't make that much difference. I have tried going over and over all the basics, paying attention to all minute details, but still cannot break similar scores as I do in warmer weather. Do any of you experience the same problem shooting in cold weather, or is it just me?

Frank M

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I do not think anyone shoots as good in winter. You have to get past it and just shoot for the enjoyment when there is snow on the ground. Also I switch to 7 1/2 in winter seems to help. Bill

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Frank, during the winter months the sun hits us from a different angle and doesn't "light" the target as in the summer, now is a good time to heed the good basics, relegating them to every shot until they are a good habit, eyes over the rib, waiting with still eyes in soft focus out about 20 yds. The target when it clears the rib will be a whole, shootable hitable target! focusing your eyes at the traphouse is fine if you want to shoot it, but now all you'll see is a blurred streak, the eyes and mind panic, it's time to shoot, pull the trigger-LOST! Stay with quiet "killer" eyes, quiet gun, patience, and you will find your overall elapsed time to dispatching the target is actually faster! the good scores result! incinerate em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.