1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COLD WEATHER SHOOTING!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Years ago our cold Wisconsin weather did not bother me to much physically when shooting. With every year that I get older I have trouble staying warm shooting in cold weather. Back in the 80's we had wind chills one weekend of -84 degrees and I went out to shoot with friends and the club closed down because the machines were not working correctly, plus management was afraid the loaders and pullers would get frostbite.

Forward 25 to 30 years and when the temperature drops below 20 degrees I am freezing. Some of my older friends also say that the older we get, the cold just bothers us. If I bundle up looking like the Michelin tire man, I have trouble swinging my gun.

Here are my questions.
    1. how cold does it have to get before you decide that you won't shoot?

2. Do you wear shooting gloves, what brand?

3. What type of shooting jacket do you use, and is it the sub zero type jacket?

4. Do you use some type of hand warmer, sticks, or chemical?

Steve Balistreri

2. powderburn

powderburn Member

Just a tip to pass on for cold shootin'......
    And, it works.
    Cut off two tube socks where the bend starts on the sole area. Cut them at a 90 deg. Then, sew one side of the opening onto a belt-2" webbing works good. sew on a plastic slide buckle with enough tag end to make the belt adjustable, esp for you heavy hitters......Then, take two of the red felt material hand warmers that take the fuel sticks. get -em going, case 'em up, and slip them into the openings of the tube socks. Strap the belt on with the warmers on your backside, making sure the warmers are covering your kidneys. These keep the blood flowing through your kidneys and warms it, making your whole body warm. I have done this for years, and it works. It takes a little time to set up, but it is well worth it. Your kidneys are closer to your outside skin/surface, and they pass alot of blood and whatnot through, and it just works. Good luck!

3. senior smoke

Rick:
    You may have come up with a good idea. Ponchos from electric blankets.
    Steve

4. senior smoke

U S Marine Retired :
    Thank you for your service to our country.
    Steve

powderburn:
    Real good idea.
    Steve

5. senior smoke

Before I forget, years ago Vic Reinders and I use to shoot the winter events sometimes together at the Waukesha gun club. In cold weather he would always bake two potatoes and bring them out to the club and stick them in his jacket pocket when shooting. One Sunday the wind was howling and I was freezing. He gave me one of his taters and it was still warm. After shooting, he says lets go back into the club house and eat our potatoes. I thought the Vickster was joking, but sure enough he started eating his potato and I joined him. After we ate them, I asked Vic if he was going to shoot some more? He said no, You just ate my potato that I originally brought with me to shoot my second round. Vic always wore in winter the same pair of pants that had a thin red stripe running through them. They looked warm, they were probably some type of hunting pants?? Now that I think of it, before I shoot on Sunday I will bake two big taters and use them when I shoot as tater warmers. After I am done shooting, I will break out the pad of butter and salt and pepper and eat them. Now how many guns can eat their hand warmers?
    Steve

6. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Originaly from Minnesota, it has to get darn cold before I will not shoot. Where I live now in Western Oregon, it is so moist in the winter that it makes 30 degrees feel like 10. If it drops below 10 hear I wont be shooting because there will be bigger problems to deal with.

I wear a CJ's shooting jacket with insulated lining. I also put a disposable 8 hour hand warmer in each front pants pocket. I do not wear gloves.

You might try some of those electric socks I see advertised in the hunting catalogues.

All the best.

J.F.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Go South! When it gets too hot, go North!

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We should have ranges with heated firing points for the cold weather. HMB

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Senior: I have a pair of those wool trousers with the thin red thread. I bought them years ago from "LL Bean" They are real heavy. With a pair of Long Johns, your legs will never get cold. They almost look like a pair of dress trousers. I wore them hunting in the Big Horns, and that's the coldest place I've ever been.

10. senior smoke

shot410ga:
    Vic Reinders always used those same pants in cold weather. I don't really like shooting in cold weather, but it helps out the local gun club to have people shoot in the winter months.
    Steve

Bazooka Joe:
    I miss old Vic. I use to talk to him about the old days when he was at the top of his game. He would take the train from the Milwaukee train depot to where ever he would shoot, with just enough money to get to the shoot, with no money to return. He would have to win in order to afford to purchase the ticket to get back home.
    Steve Balistreri

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Years ago Trap & Field interviewed Leo Harrison.

One of the questions Betty Foxworthy ,(I think it was her), asked was...I see you always wear a white tee shirt to shoot.
    What do you do when it gets cold???

Leo replied...If its to cold to wear a tee shirt it's to cold to shoot.

Regards.....Gerald

12. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

Years ago I worked horse back in the pan handle feed yards of Texas and New Mexico
    No more miserable place one cold be in the winter. Found that a pair of women's panty hose under the long handles provided excellent insulation
    Gary

13. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

Years ago I worked horse back in the pan handle feed yards of Texas and New Mexico
    No more miserable place one cold be in the winter. Found that a pair of women's panty hose under the long handles provided excellent insulation
    Gary

14. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

Gary

15. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

The biggest difference I can make in keeping warm is wearing polyester thermals or undergarments, such as what Under Armour makes (although that's an expensive example). You can get thick fleece or thin versions of the polyester. A warm, insulated hat keeps the heat from escaping one's head, too. My feet stay warmer with wool socks and my heavy boots loosened so there's better air circulation. A scarf helps a great deal too. As for my hands, that's a losing battle, they just don't want to cooperate, but the rest of me does pretty well! J

16. senior smoke

Gary:
    I also heard about womens panty hose bein g warm.
    Steve

Jennifer:
    I can not find anything to keep my hands warm too. I can not shoot with a scarf as it messes up my mount and sight picture.
    Steve

17. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Steve I was thinking more of the thin silk scarves like the cowboys around these parts (Idaho/Montana/Oregon) wear. It wouldn't interfere with your gun mount and is amazingly warm for as thin as it is, esp. if rolled up first! And ya don't have to get the polka-dot or paisley ones either, they have solid colors too!

Good shooting! J

18. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

We never have cold weather shooting in Alaska.

19. IcySwan1

IcySwan1 TS Member

I originally am from the same neck of the woods as U S Marine Retired [NW PA on Lake Erie] but moved way north a long time ago. In Fairbanks, Alaska the winter clay target sport is pretty much skeet at one of the local military bases. We shoot all winter in the cold and dark. You get a patch for shooting at -40F. Everyone wear's a different brands of winter gloves. I use a fleece pair with palm and finger grips. Jackets are all over the place, including some of the brands already mentioned. I tend to dress in poly underwear, fleece pants and jacket, full wool bibs, a heavy wool double caped coat, a musher hat, and bunny boats [vapor barrier boats]. And yes, both traditional and chemical handwarmers. There is a lot of time in the clubhouse between rounds and we tend to shoot a lot of doubles only skeet. But there are no bugs. Mike

20. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Shooting in Minnesota, it's not the temperature I worry about.
    It's the wind speed. If it's over 20 mph, I usually won't
    shoot. I wear Thinsalate jeans. There so warm, I don't need
    long underwear. My jacket in a Beretta down. I only wear a
    glove on my support hand. I keep a heat pak on top of my shells
    and keep my hand in that pocket when not pulling the trigger.
    If you think your going to freeze your butt, you probably will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting in cold weather

thin cold weather shooting gloves

trapshooting in cold weather