1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Weather Shooting Solutions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have always had trouble with cold fingers and toes. I found that a half size larger boot will usually take care of the but I haven't found suitable gloves that aren't too bulky. Well some time ago I read an article about how a sweat band on the inside wrist with an ice cube can cool you but it's dangerous healthwise. It had to do with cooling the blood too much before going to the heart , brain or other vital organ. Does anyone know if you could do the same thing with the little heat packs-safely?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Uh,,, Florida? LOL

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

1. Park butt next to fireplace.

2. Think hard about shooting.

3. Repeat.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Have your club install covered firing points with heat. Let's be civalized and spend our dues money wisely. HMB

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

On a serious side response. I burned the tops of both hands several years ago. Since then I have been on a quest for the best glove to keep my mainly right hand warm on fridgid days. I have several different high dollar gloves and really the best I have found is two gloves to each hand with a hand warmer between them on top.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The best thing that I've found is a good fire and a bottle of "Makers Mark".

ss

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Fueled or throwaway handwarmer in one or both pockets?

Years ago I found a pair of Bob Allen thinsolate insulated gloves that worked quite well - thin soft leather with decent trigger feel.

Rollin

8. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Mittens are great for warm hands but not so great for shooting.

The solution best for me is to wear not-too-tight lightweight ski gloves and put a dry chemical heater in my right jacket pocket. The gloves I have now have a tacky material on the palms and fingers to aid grip and a light fabric lining inside a nylon shell.

There's no sense in trying to wear a glove that will conserve the finger's warmth; they're just too bulky. It works better for me to wear a light glove for good feel and wind protection and get the warmth from the chemical heat pack between shots. Remember that dry chemical heat packs need oxygen to work properly so they may cool off if the pocket is too airtight.

Carol Lister

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Try the electric hand muff that straps around your waist. It has 2 heated tubes in the muff that you grab. Works great for bow hunting and trap shooting.
    Bass Pro and Cabelas have them. They have re-charging batteries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.