1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Weather Shooting Attire

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

This will be my first winter shooting trap and am starting to make my Christmas list.

Can I get some ideas on what type of clothing I should wear to stay warm and not affect my shooting in a negative way?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Under Armour and a thin wind proof jacket. Keep the heavy coat on the bench and shed it before heading out for the round. The more clothes or layers you wear the more it binds you up and affects your shooting.

3. rwtii

rwtii Member

Bob Allen/Boyt Harness and Browning make nice cold weather stuff as does Beretta. The heat packs that are iron filings and salt and are air activated can keep your hands warm when they are placed on the back of your hands in your gloves. Snow mobile boots for your feets, since you don't walk much shooting trap. A good warm hat, sheepskin or fur with ear flaps. The ultimate is to take shooting coat one size too large and have it lined with sheared muskrat or beaver by foxx furs in Duluth. They know about cold weather up there.

4. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Depends on where you live.

5. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Look into Browning and Beretta windoroof sweaters. The windproof component is huge. Upper body is not a problem to keep warm with my browning sweater. Trigger finger at zero is another issue...

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We usually go from shorts to long pants for a week or two when it gets really cold (50's and 60's) then its right back to the shorts and T-shirts ... I actually had to wear a jacket 3 or 4 times last year because it got so cold ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I have used a Shoot the Moon polar plus coat with a wind liner for the last five years and it works great in Wisconsin.

Rick

8. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I bought a Browning coat many years ago. Although it was a shooting coat I didn't care for it because the heavy collar got in the way when mounting the gun. I wouldn't buy one of these Browning shooting coats again for that reason.

Joe

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

A windstopper sweater from Cabelas is the best cold weather garment ever. Bill

10. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

It just depends on how you handle the cold,I've seen bare hands on -10 nights and I usually wear gloves with handwarmers in them,we shoot year round in Alaska.

11. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Thin nonbinding layers on top w/ one being a mock or turtleneck, a nylon windbreaking top layer. A warm hat that does NOT interfear w/ your glasses or ear protection. Gloves that protect your hands but do not inhibit feel too much. Sturdy shoes or boots that provide a solid base and some slip resistance. Winter shooting is a lot of fun if you're prepared and realize your scores may average a bit lower. Shooting is always better than sitting in the house!

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Winter in Michigan sucks!

Indoor pistol for 5 months

13. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

John Storm coat!

Bill

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought a coat last year from a gentleman on this site with the brand name Chameau. He called it used but it looked brand new and gave me a turn around period. Absolutely warm coat and a good person to deal with. Can't remember his name though.

15. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Bill: you have that right, best coat I have ever bought. Rick

16. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Purchase some of the shake up thermo packs.. (hand warmers) I wear golf gloves and put one in the back side of each glove, when I do this I have no problem with my fingers getting cold. I also use the back wrap .. one of the greatest things you can use to stay loose and be able to rotate instead of tightening up with the cold.

Jerry B

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I first started shooting, I purchased a sub zero shooting jacket. When I look back at the pictures today I look like the Michelin tire man holding a shotgun.

Yes, I was warm, maybe to warm, as I was comfortable shooting in 25 below zero temperatures with the fricken jacket. Anything above zero degrees I was sweating.

My scores also droped not only due to the cold weather, but I could not swing my gun freely. As I got older I do not shoot below 30 degrees, as I just can not take the cold weather any longer.

Suggest get yourself a Columbia fleece zip up jacket, also wear a T-shirt, and a summer type shell jacket with the fleece jacket over it.

You will be warm, you will be able to swing your gun properly. Most important item would also be to wear a warm beanie type hat to cover your head and ears. If the temperature is below 20 degrees, suggest stay home to shoot on a nicer day.
    Steve Balistreri

18. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Early last year, I purchased a John Storm coat with the insulation, and that's served me well. I'm saddened recalling my conversation with John, as he passed away later that year. The company, however, lives on.

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Geez guys... Man Up!

Maybe a long sleeve tee under a sweatshirt, wind shirt or I use the Orvis Foul Weather Sweater ($98 on sale now)... my feet are the biggest challenge... keeping them dry and warm...

Waxed cap with fleece - Dorman Pacific

Don't load up to much - you'll change the LOP...

Jay

20. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

Last year I had to wear a flannel shirt twice... Ill send it to you if you want!

EdH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dressing for cold weather shooting