1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold weather semi-autos

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Remstar311, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Went crow hunting this past weekend with some friends. Frigid out was 9 degrees with a wind chill to -15. Snowed hard and blowed hard all day. We hunted from sun up until 400 pm. One of my buddys was using an 1187 sportsman and I was using my old trusty 1187 premier. His gun wouldn't fire at all that day. I didn't start having problems until about 1 pm. Only twice did the shell not fully eject. I had a back up pump and so did he, so our day was not a bust. I can't say for the other guy, but my gun was clean as a whistle. Does anyone know of a semi that can take the really cold days?

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

No such thing as a 100% guaranteed no fail semi-auto which will function without any chance of failure in extremely cold weather or any other challenging climate...many will work all day, but don't bet on it. Use an 870. Regards, Ed

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Remstar, are they run wet or dry?

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

My Bereta Extrema hasn't had a problem in the blinds

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've had my 1187 field gun down to 10 degrees and it worked fine. The only prep I gave it was to completely clean and relube with military LAW oil (Light Arctic Weapons oil). This is a very thin oil that won't congeal or gum up when it's cold.

Unfortunately, I bought a large can of it surplus in the early 1980s, and have never seen it since. What's the military using these days? Sooner or later I'm going to run out.

7. Single Shooter

Single Shooter TS Member

On a cold day like that, i will always trust my R. 870

Zach

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

synthetic lubes.

9. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I always shoot my Remington's wet with Slip2000. Was out last weekend with single digit temps and no problems with hours between shots.

Kip

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Beretta 390 or 391. Lubed with BreakFree CLP. Works for me in sub-zero conditions.

Jim Skeel

11. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have a Browning Gold sporting gun I use to hunt quail it has never failed even in below Zero temps.Jerry

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My 391 Beretta has been there for me on several sub zero pheasant hunts in ND. Zero malfunctions, lightly lubed internals, 1 1/4 Oz x 1,300 FpS loads.

A lot of waterfowlers use this model so I gotta think they perform well in really nasty weather.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is not the guns fault. You can't run an 1100 or 1187 dry. Wipe it down with Break Free and it will be just fine. HMB

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

My Mossberg always worked this season duck hunting in any weather. Use Breakfree then wipe it dry. But remember, no gun is 100 percent. Every gun can and will malfunction sooner or later. Autos in particular don't like to be neglected. But to me they are worth the extra effort. It doesn't take very long to clean an auto and you will have 3 shots waterfowling with a gas operated auto the softest recoil possible. When shooting clay targets you get an extra eighth of an ounce with the same felt recoil as the lighter loaded pump or double barrel. I started with pumps, then went to over-and-unders and now to autos. Not one of those hard kicking Benellis. I wouldn't take one for free. A gas operated auto.

15. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

My Gold has never ever failed me! Ever! Sub-Zero temps, Rain, Snow,Sleet, Soggy Goose Blinds.....In one word FAILSAFE!

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

My Sx-1's have never failed in extreme cold. I run them dry. My Beretta 303's have never failed me either. I keep them as dry as I can as water will freeze things up. Just the dog shaking after he comes in with a bird can have an affect.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.