1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Weather Load Problems - Windjammer 1 oz wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by michshooter, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

For about 2 weeks one of my fellow shooters and I appeared to be in a bad slump. Neither one of us could hit anything, averaging about 12 -15 birds a round from the 16 yd line. We noticed that we were getting a lot of “poppers” or soft sounding loads. Our shooting buddies were commenting on the weird sound of many of our loads.

My friend was loading Red Dot powder, Nobel primers, Windjammer WJ II 1 oz wads and Remington STS hulls. I was loading Titewad powder, Fiocchi primers, Windjammer WJ II 1 oz wads and new style Winchester AA hulls. Neither one of us had experienced any problems with our reloads until the weather turned cold, upper 20’s.

My friend changer to Winchester WAA12SL wads with the same load and I changed to green Duster wads. Both of us did nto experience any more “popper” loads and our scores went back to normal 23-25 for a round.

I was wondering if any one else had experienced any cold weather problems with Windjammer WJ II 1 oz. wads? One of our other shooting buddies is using the Windjammer 1 1/8 oz wad without any problems, so it seems to be tied only to our 1 oz wads which were purchased at the same time last year.

….Paul

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've had similar issues with the WindJammer and some Jammer clone wads in colder weather. Some worked alright, but changing to a different wad solved the issue. The Fiocchi primer is also something to look at. I've had poor cold weather performance with several powders and the Fiocchi primer. It was especially bad in one ounce loads. I don't use Jammer wads and Fiocchi primers in cold weather, period!

3. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Some plastic remain more pliable at cold temps than others. I always increase my powder when the temps get below 40.
    Bruce Buck wrote you can lose 50fps when temp get near freezing.

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

If you switch your primer to winchester or remingtons it will cure youe problem. Had the same problem last winter with your reciepe. Bill

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

You failed to mention how much powder your dropping and how old your hulls are. Both of these items can make a difference.In the winter. I have off sounding loads in the winter, and for the most part from the 16yd line it should not make a difference.

GS

6. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

If you fellows don't like the WJII wads send then to me. I use them exclusively with no ignition problems. Likely the primers, as I have had issues with both the F616 and STS at cold temperatures 32 and below. Go to F209A or RIO. BRGII

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Travel to the club with the shells stored in an insulated cooler. This will protect them from the cold until your ready to use them.

Also, if your garage is seeing temps near freezing or below, don't store shells in the garage.

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Plastics harden as temperatures drop and some powders get harder to ignite. When I shot a lot of winter money shoots I always kept my shells warm. It made a remarkable difference. The guys that had shells in their trunk and left them there until they shot never won.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.