1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Weather Effects on Shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tweintraub, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweintraub

tweintraub Member

Hello from snowy Colorado! Just purchased a TRUCKVAULT™ for my pickup. I also have a Spolar Gold Premier so I am loading like crazy. We are extremely dry here in Colorado but wanted to know what the impacts are of storing boxes of shells in the back of my truck. I have read on this forum folks who won't shoot certain powders in cold conditions. I'm curious to know what effects if, any cold weather might have on my loads. I'm using Remington STS/Nitro Hulls, 700-X, and Downrange Wads, and Winchester Primers. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers T.I.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hello T.I.: I shot 700x for many years in Northern Iowa ( it gets cold in Iowa too) without any problems, when it dropped below zero we did take our shells into the clubhouse so they could warm up a little. We hunted in some pretty chilly temps. ducks & pheasant' Dec. & into Jan. used slower powders for field loads, again without problems. Didn't use many WW primers (too many duds) only a few when I couldn't get Rem. or Fed. Just my experience. Ross Puls

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

As far as primers go I have loaded 10 of thousands of win 209 and never had one dud ever and here in S.E.Idaho it does get cold, real cold. Last summer got a buy on some Rem 209 primers and had 5 duds in the first three boxes so never again will I venture away from the Win 209 primer. AS far as the powder goes I have noticed that you will get some flat sounding loads in the cold with Green dot when the pressures are lower. I use Promo from the 16 with great results.

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Also shoot in southeastern Idaho, though in a part a half degree or two warmer than Goose2.

Use Winchester brand primers with Hodgdon Clays powder.

Never had a dud or other problem.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Winter is a fun time, all the noobs leave their shells in the car and we harass them when they get bloopers.

I don't care if SOME powders/primers etc work "OK" in the cold.

I shoot warm shells. Not hard to do, and one less thing.

HM

6. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Cold weather can some times change things like shooting in very hot weather.

7. tweintraub

tweintraub Member

Great feedback folks. Much appreciated. Happy Holidays! Cheers...gonna go shoot today in the cold!

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Keep your shells in the house until your ready to go shoot. Real cold conditions over time will effect the performance of shells, regardless of what you use.

9. drh08

drh08 TS Member

cold weather affects the burn of your powder. In general you have slower shells because of it. If you are border line to incomplete burns in the summer, chances are you will have problems in the winter. Keeping your shells warm will help with this. The easiest solution if you reload is to switch to a hotter primer like a federal.

I am sure there will be many posts on which powder and primer is used, and there are no problems experienced from this shooter. Your best bet is to use a shell that pressures above 9k. What powder and primer you use to achieve this is up to you. The only variant is that some powders seem to perform better than others at lower pressures.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I put my shell boxes in an insulated lunchbox. When its real cold, I'll open up one of those hand warmers and thow in there. I use Win primers and Green Dot, never had a problem.

Wayne

wayneo_2008_0303244.jpg

11. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

Just for the sake of curiosity I put a box of my reloads in the freezer overnight...took them to the range...put them back into a freezer for an hour and then shot them through my chrony.

While the standard deviation remained solid (9.35) the muzzle velocity dropped some 244fps. Normally they average 1191fps. Stone frozen they averaged 947fps. No off sounding loads.

Used Alliant Extra Lite, Claybuster 7/8 wads, Noble Sport primers Win AAHS hulls.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

244 fps slower? Wow, interesting. I'd have lost that bet.

-Gary

13. drh08

drh08 TS Member

244 is more than I would have guessed also. I wish someone could test the pressure difference also. From the reloading data for extra light powder I would assume that powder performs well in cold weather with a light payload

14. Reinz

Reinz Member

That's why I switch to Federal primers in the winter.

15. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I remember scoring at the Carolina Clay Gun Club several years ago. Carolina Clay GC is sitting under a new runway thanks to Fed-Ex at the PTI airport.

Roger Shaffer left his shells in the truck overnight and when he stepped to the line the bloopers started and never stopped for all 100 targets he shot.

Scoring and trying to keep a straight face and not laughing after calling lost was tough. I am not sure what his recipe for the shell was but I know he was using a claybuster wad.

FRedmon

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think that the cold weather has more affect on the wad not sealing on the bore, then affecting the powders. Maybe the wad cups should be of softer plastic so they expand the rim and seal against the bore. I prefer to keep them warm until I shoot. Jon

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Buy one of those portage cooler/heaters that plug into a 12 v aux outlet. Keeps the shells warm .

Phil Berkowitz

18. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Am more concerned with my dainty little fingers.

19. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Claybuster AA's and Fig. 8's is about all I reload, throw in a small % of Remmy RXP's and some TGT's no squibs here in Penna. in the dead of winter. I'll shoot in the teens and 20's with no problems.

20. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

My daughter experienced bloopers during the coldest days of last winter, so we swithed to factory loads for matches. I have suspected that it was either the Claybuster wads or the .740" bore of her Ljutic, but regardless, it was unacceptable. I have switched to Downrange wads, she is shooting a BT with a smaller bore, and we plan to shoot the reloads until we have problems. And we will probably keep the shells warm just for good measure.
    dju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.