1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold weather effect on ammo ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Today it was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit at the trap range. Add a little wind to that. About a dozen or so of us shot anyway.

I was shooting factory Winchester loads which worked fine.

A fellow who normally shoots in the 20+ out of 25 range shot next to me on one relay. He failed to break 10. Thought I could see his shotshelll wads leaving his barrel in slow motion. He did have at least one complete blooper which required him to push a stuck wad out of the barrel.

Could the cold weather have affected his ammo ?

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Some powders are affected by cold and others are not.

I know 700-x flames more out the ejection port on my 1100 when it is cold.

3. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Also it matters dramatically if your shells are warm versus cold. Lets say you took them out of your house and went to the range and the other guy put them in his car and left them outside all night before going to the range. His will sound like they will barely go off.

Also I was told that single base powders don't work nearly as well as double base powders in cold weather.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The cold can affect the powder burn, the wad's ability to seal, and can cause moisture to condense inside the hull. HMB

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I live in Wisconsin and shoot winter events. Cold weather does have a negative affect on ammunition. The FPS slows down, and has lesser foot pounds upon impact. You want to use hard 7 1/2s as a lot of clubs store their targets outside and the targets are frozen. Every time I shoot I usually see a target go off course unbroken because it was hit by shot and did not break. The smart experienced shooter will bring the shells he is planing to use in the shoot inside the club house and place his shells on top of a radiator if they have one to keep the shells warm. Cold shells and cold weather = less smoked targets, less breaks, and usually lower scores. Compare the way targets break in warm weather compared to cold. In cold weather I would also go to a tighter choke, as cold air is heavier and spreads the pattern out. There is an old saying in shooting cold weather handicap events that shooters use size 9 shoot, 4's and 5's.
    Steve Balistreri

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have never experienced any problem with my reloads. But, I follow the advise that senior smoke is trying to give you in cold conditions. I don't like to leave my shells outdoors in my truck in the winter. I couldn't tell you what that break point in temperature is to where shell are more prone to have bloopers. I've been around many guys that have had these bloobers, I'm lucky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cold weather effect on shooting

is cold weather hard on ammunition