1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold weather Bloopers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sal 1253, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sal 1253

Sal 1253 TS Member

Has anybody had any problems with Duster wads ansd red dot powder in cold weather?
    This past weekend I had about 15-20 bloopers out of a total of 100 rounds. Some of the guys said that it was static buildup and others said that the cause were definitely the wads. I'm curious to hear any feedback from anyone that may have experienced the problem

Thanks

The primers used were win 209, 18grs of red dot shooting blue duster wads(1 1/8 oz of shot)Shells were gun club cases in good condition. The loads were loaded in the basement brought to the club in 30 degree weather

I have never had a problem with bloopers. Thanks for your input

2. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

How many grains of powder and what type primer? Have had some problem if try to use a very light powder charge,no problem at all using 17.5 grains.

John

3. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Recently left shells in truck for a week,temps 10 to 25. The green dot loads were very weak, but had no problem with 17.5 and 18 grain loads of red dot. I have shot red dot for many years in winter and never had problems. This is actually first time I have had problems with the green dot, but normally don't leave shells in cold. Paul

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per Rick Barker--which primer?-- what hull & condition-- Red Dot, how much--Duster wads-can't help much, never used them.-- shot, how much?--temperature & temp. of shells when shot.--conditions where & when loaded ie. were hulls completely dry?? low or no humidity--brought in from garage--storage shed--back of pick-up--etc. as cold hulls brought into a warm area from outside will sweat, many things can enter into something like this more info is needed to even venture a guess (cause). PM me & or send phone# & I will call you & see if I can help. Ross Puls

5. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Also avoid loading spent primers by accident. I sometimes get a surprise from this. All the best.

J.F.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sal 1253

Duster Wads had a problem with their plastic compound several years ago. The over powder cups would fracture at temperatures from 50 dgrees on down. Maybe they had another problem, or you got an old batch of wads. The other issue could very well be the primer that you are using. Some primers, like the Fiocchi 616 sometimes do not do well in some loads in cold weather. You'll need to give us a little more detail on exactly what components you are loading. If you can recover a spent wad and check it for partial disintegration, it might give you an idea of what the trouble is.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If cold is the problem, it can take some time for shells to return to room temperature if left in a garage or in a vehicle during freezing temperatures.

Someone posted to this board a few years back that he ran a test and it was in excess of 12 hours. Might have even been longer, but I do remember it was more than a few hours.

Remove stored shells from the garage/vehicle the night before use to let them warm in the house. Another suggestion is to place them in a cooler when traveling to the range.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Here is a photo of what the wads that fractured looked like when there was a problem several years ago. I have been using both Blue Dusters and Green Dusters in all kinds of weather with no problems since that one batch was replaced. Too light powder charges and weak primers such as the Fiocchi 616 mentioned above can also cause bloopers in cold weather. Overbored barrels may also contribute

ou3200_2008_03036.jpg

9. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Quack Shot stated that the 616 Fio primers have a cold weather problem, we shot at 6 degrees last Friday night and I use 616's and narry a problem, I do keep my shells in the shop which is heated and they stay in the clubhouse all night and I just put more in my shooting coats pockets as I need them (game shooters)

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure what your blooper problem is and generally Red Dot does well in cold weather so I would suspect the primer and/or the wad as being the problem.

I did have a blooper problem last winter with my Green Dot loads, the solution was simple .. store the loaded ammo indoors - end of problem.

11. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hello folks,

First thing, I'm not posting here to say any bad things about other manufactures wads!

If the over powder cup is clean when you open up the breaks. It happened down the barrel. (Your powder / primer / crimp was not correct)

If it is dirty. It happened at the moment the primer set the powder off, the wad failed.

Pressure trace with a shallow crimp .025 and cold weather.

xxlpinkcold3.gif

This caused the wads over powder cup to break. Notice the first high spike then the pressure drop. Then spike back up.

Some primers, won't light some powders when they are cold!

Only a Fed 209A will light Red Dot with a 3/4 oz. 12 load below 35 degrees with a .055 crimp, everytime.

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

A very good shooter had your same problem with bloopers with dusters sts hulls, I suggested remington figure 8's problem solved , i have kept shells loaded with Fio primers in the freezer and never had a failure, this is loading 2 3/4 1- 1/8 and 3 dram loads ,anytime there has been a blooper, look to an non oem wad, we shoot in below zero weather and no problems with a variety of hulls, primers, and powder. incinerate em!

13. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have had problems with promo 18gr in win hulls nobel primers 1 or 1 1/8oz with waa12 or wsl wad. About 25% sound funny or you can count the pellets.
    this summer down to 17gr worked fine. Below 40 degrees and I start having problems.
    Plan on changing to red dot or 700x.

14. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Sal 1253, I shot in Fairbanks AK at -40 (no wind chill, that was the temp) no problems with Duster Wads in my reloads.
    Merry Christmas
    Gavin

15. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I also ran into cold weather problems. I'm not saying this was the problem and by no means am I bad mouthing any brand name. I used Rio Primers all summer and they served me well. I started to have an extreme amount of bloopers and I changed to Fiocchi and I haven't had a problem since. Here in Pa.

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

My first quess is there were 15-20 shells with no powder for reasons other than static buildup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.