Trapshooters Forum banner

Cold temp and low pressure loads?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  zzt 
#1 ·
When loading slower burning powder in order to create less pressure, at what pressure will winter weather temps adversely affect proper burn.

Thanks for your time,

Brady

#2 ·
Brady, There are lots of variables to consider in trying to answer your question. Powder types differ in cold weather. Also, in slower burning powder in cold weather may need a hotter primer to properly burn. Some cheaper wads also will not seal well in cold weather. Load some up, put them in your freezer all night and give 'em a try.

#4 ·
I like Federal Primers all year around! Cold weather relates to more dense of an air pattern, so I personally like a faster velocity in cold weather.....going from 1145 fps to 1200 fps. Nothing scientific here...just an opinion on what seems to work for me!

#6 ·
Ok so what is the point of loading slower burning and paying the extra money, and in the end actually using more powder. The only reason I assumed, which in the end I.guess i was wrong, was the fact I loaded Tite Wad and it seemed to hammer me with ounce and an eight.

So I guess the next question I have is: What are the benefits of loading slower burning powders?

Thanks Mike,

Brady

#9 ·
I load all my low pressure loads (<7000 psi) for vintage doubles events in London Best shotguns from the late nineteenth century using Green Dot and Win 209 primers. Shooting in cold winter weather (MN) there has never been any problems with the reloads. As in any cold weather condition I'm sure there is a very slight decrease in velocity but not anything that is noticeable in cold weather.

#11 ·
Brady, I used to use PB for 1 oz loads in my Superposed, because anything else beat the snot out of me. Pressure was 6300psi with the STS209 and W209 primers I was using. I had no problems in the winter, even at 20 degrees. However, I did not store my shells outside. They traveled in the trunk of my car for 30 minutes, then in my bag for up to an hour during the shoot. I never had any problems with bloopers, etc.

That load actually produced more actual recoil, but felt much softer than loads with Clays and Int Clays.

I load 1oz loads with Am Sel for 7000psi and also don't have cold weather problems.

All that being said, I now use only W209 primers and I try to keep pressures above 8500psi for consistency.

My favorite 1oz load, and I have buckets of them already loaded, is STS hull, W209 primer 17gr e3, TGT-12 wad and 1 oz WCM shot. Alliant says 1200fps @ 8558psi. Lyman syas 1190fps @7600psi. I don't care who is right. It is a stunninly good load in any temp.

#12 ·
PB is the exact powder I'm talking about. Would like to use one powder for everything. 21 gn of PB behind 1 oz with my components gives 1150ish fps and around 5000 psi. Is that going to create any issues? I load heavier for caps.

Brady

#13 ·
Brady, what components are you using to get those readings?

My IMR manual lists my old load as STS hull, either STS209 or W209 primer, TGT-12 wad and 1oz shot as 6300psi and 1150fps with the STS209 or 1145fps with the W209.

I don't see any loads listed with pressures in the 5000 - 6000 range except using CB wads. If that is what you are using, I would change. One of my buddies tried the same thing and had enormous problems when the temps went below 40 degrees.

#14 ·
The Vintage Gun shooters are the only people I am aware of who demand real low pressure loads, like sub 7500. The poster who suggested freezer testing loads has the right idea. Low pressure loads fresh from the freezer that sound correct are probably just fine for any use in freezing whether, as long as you don't store your shells in the trunk of the car overnight.

#15 ·
In reality this is a moot point if pressure does not effect recoil. Herein lies my problem now. If am going to switch to.a faster burning powder such as Extra-lite will the crimp be an issue. I'm using fed GM and paper hulls. Prior to this I have used faster burning powders and creating a continuesly nice crimp was always a pain. I have some cb 4100 lightning 1oz wads for tapered hulls. Loaded with 15 gns of extra lite does anyone for see an issue? I guess in the end trial and error is the only way.

Brady

#16 ·
Yes Brady, there is an issue. You are using a very light load in a mildly tapered hull (GM) and a straight walled hull (paper) using a wad known for generating lower pressures than almost any other wad. Even super fast Extra-lite will not generate enough pressure at that loading to prevent bloopers when it gets cold.

My buddy did exactly the same thing, then went to Extra-Lite, boosted the charge and changed wads. He has no problems now.

Boost your charge to 16gr and use a 12S0 wad or its DRM or CB clone and a Fed209A primer. Alliant says 1150fps @8500approx psi. That's the sweet spot for consistency. You'll have to add 0.5gr for the papers to match velocity.

BTW, Extra-Lite is bulky for a given weight, so your crimp problems will be minimized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.