1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Subjr1, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Subjr1

Subjr1 Member

It has come the time of our winter leagues starting in the heart of January in Northern IL. One issue shooters are faced with besides runny noses, frozen fingers, and the well known cold toes is brittle frozen targets. Some may say "they are made of aluminum". Others would say that they are frozen beyond return. Frozen targets have a tendency to smoke/dust with no chips produced. Do you believe that targets get more difficult to break as the temperatures drop, or do you think the target that is more brittle is able to break more easily? I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on this well known problem
    Thank you all,
    Subjr

Chance McCall thanked this.
  2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

depends on the humidity the targets are stored at.....

3. HondaRay

HondaRay Member

Can not say targets are harder to break. But certainly see lots more dust from "slightly hit" yet unbroken targets in cold weather.

WadHopper thanked this.
  4. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit Member

There has to be some relation! I also think if targets sit in a house all winter they are the same even after it warms up again

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Nothing to do with the targets temperature, but a lot to do with the rubber on the arm's effect with cold temps. It's not gripping the clay and they're not spinning nearly as fast. Centerfugal force is denied and the bird can't tear itself apart as easily.

It's all about rpm's.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  6. stnlss99

stnlss99 TS Member

I agree with Tron. You loose spin which causes dust more easily without a break.

7. dustinthewind

dustinthewind Active Member

Use 7 1/2 with .35 choke

8. Bighoss

Bighoss Active Member

I'm sure Tron is more right than wrong, but also, cold shells may be slower. I chronographed a 70 degree shell out of the house, then one that sat in my pickup overnight in 12 degree weather. Both from the same lot of reloads. The cold one was 150 fps slower.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Air is also a lot more dense.

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

They aren't harder to break, just harder to hit.

WesleyB thanked this.
  11. SWPAShooter

SWPAShooter Member

I've just started my second year of trap shooting, last fall I heard guys talking about switching from #8 to #7 1/2 shot once the temps get lower (November -March in SW PA). I didn't pay much attention to it last fall, as I had just started, there was an information overload :)

I started loading my own shells this summer, and in October I started making loads with #7 1/2. I can't objectively state they make a difference, because I haven't shot at anything with the #8's since it got cold. I'm shooting practice this Monday (forecast is upper 20's), I think I'll take a couple of each and see. I'll report back what I find.

One of the gentlemen who has been a big help to me informed me that petroleum pitch is one of the ingredients in the clay targets, and that it hardens in the colder weather, thus making the birds harder to break. On the surface that makes sense, but then again, couldn't the cold possibly make the birds more brittle?

The more I think about fine details like this, the more I hear the voice of one older friend who's main piece of advice about trap shooting is "If you could leave your darn brain on the bench, you'd run 100 straight every darn time"

My loads are STS Hulls, STS Primers, Windjammer Wads (Orange, 8 petal), 17.5 grains Red Dot, 1-1/8oz West Coast Magnum Shot.

12. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

The Trap Houses at my local club have what is called a winter door on them where basically the radius of where a target will leave is open and there is a flip up section to cover it when the trap is closed down for the day. We have a space heater inside the trap so things are not super cold inside the trap house.
    So during our winter league we are not throwing a completely cold target. The results have been very good over the years.

Gussers, slayer and Barry C. Roach thanked this.
  13. ShotStop

ShotStop Dedicatedto keeping gun clubs open and shooting. Banned

This was a scientific test I conducted wherein I dropped a frozen target and a 65 degree target from a height of about 8 feet on to concrete. Which one do you think was the frozen target?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Butler and WesleyB thanked this.
  14. Chance McCall

Chance McCall Active Member

Yeah. I'm shivering so bad it is lucky I can hit any of them. I hate cold! :aaa:

big kahuna thanked this.
  15. Hinch

Hinch Member

I agree with bighoss.The cold shells powder is slower burning than when they are warm.

16. WadHopper

WadHopper That guy's full of crap! TS Supporters

Ill go with the one on the bottom...now whats my prize?

17. Tmx199

Tmx199 Member

I don't worry about the target is just shoot at it. But when it's cold and damp here in PA winters I just put my guns away and wait till it's warm out. I'll get to shoot with my friends in the spring! Zack H

DandyRandy thanked this.
  18. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

What he said. Words of wisdom. But if you do shoot in really cold weather. Choke up and use 7 1/2's.

19. DONNE

DONNE Active Member

Folks, it's not the cold. It's the wind chill. :anim_rofl2:

WesleyB thanked this.
  20. mach1cj

mach1cj Member

Our clubs definition of "cold" is "20* or below, so we are not opening today...again. It's 9* out now. I'll take the bottom photo also in StopShot's photo.