1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold remedies?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

There is none. Colds and flu are caused by viruses. They are nasty little critters that for the most part, defy a cure other than time as the inmune system defeats them.

The best you can do is stay warm, drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. You could try treating the symptoms which can vary from one person to another and from one virus to the next but help will be marginal. If you had pneumonia, caused by bacteria, it could be cured with an antibiotic, with penecillian being the most common one used. Treating the symptoms offers only "some" help.

You can probably expect your symptoms of a runny nose, caughing and a general rotten feeling wilto remain until your imune system defeaats the virus. Just repeat, "Go, killer T cells; Go!" over and over again.

Rollin

2. kk32

kk32 TS Member

Hairy, Just sit around and read this web site all day. After all the stuff that comes through it you will forget about the cold. Other than that, stay warm and drink lot's of Black Berry. MnJim

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've always maintained, and it seems to work for me.............Is a good sweat under a hot body"!

It may not cure you, but at the time, you don't care! lol Hauxfan!

4. SuperD

SuperD TS Member

Go get some Zicam, it will lesson the severity and length of time that you have a cold. Keep it handy because if you feel a cold coming on take it first thing and it will knock it out. It really works I swear by it. It is available in the cold and flu section of any grocery store or drugstore.
    Get well soon!

5. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Alka Seltzer Cold Medicine.....works for me.

Jim C

6. ace

ace TS Member

Hairy...........Here in Colorado[the Man's State] we fight fire with fire...........When it gets cold[or we feel one coming on], we get naked and go shooting! What can I say!....Try it, you'll like it!........Shoot Well!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rollin should stick to gun fitting. Try Zicam or Coldeze they will shorten the length of the illness. HMB

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Coldeze works. Don't know why but it does.

Don

9. DocJim

DocJim Member

Rollin's got it right. All of this over-the-counter stuff you see advertised dosen't affect the viruses and neither does the antibiotics. There is a great thing called the placebo effect however. Briefly that means that if you pay money for a product, and think it will help, you probably will feel better. It's all psychological. I've practiced medicine for 40 years and if any of this stuff would work I would use it myself and prescribe it; I don't. Of the above however I just might endorse the "Iowa Hat Cure" or the "good sweat under a hot body" treatments. Hope you feel better soon; usually takes 5-10 days depending on your immune system status at the time.

Jim G MD

10. kk32

kk32 TS Member

Hairy, Once again, forget the funeral home and drug store, just get to the booze. After 2 days, who cares. Cold gone, but your head will hurt like hell. Take your choice. Been there, done that. MnJim

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have heard a lot of people who work for me swear by the zicam

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you take Zicam and/or Coldeze, plus lots of fluids and stay warm you will feel better in a week....other wise, if you leave it alone, it takes 7 days to feel better!

:)

13. Big Tom

Big Tom TS Member

Take two aspirn and call me in the morning.

Tom

14. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Glyconutrients to build the immune system, gets those killer T-cells going. Have not has a cold or the flu in the 5 years I have taken them. Lots of people laugh but I have a saying for that. "Do you care more about what people think or Do you care more about what you know."

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sorry, but at the first sign of a cold I give myself and my employees Cold-Eze and the cold never develops further. Maybe that is majic, placebo or whatever but I am convinced that it helps.

Don

16. Love The BANG!

Love The BANG! TS Member

When I was young and in my "prime" Dad owned a Liquor store. We sold a ½ pint bottle of stuff called Sno-shoe Grog. Half Brandy and something I can’t remember. Well the Ol’boys said it was the best cure for a cold.
    Sticker in the snow (the old man keep some in the freezer in the winter time) then start sippin & drink her all!! So with a bad cold and of legal drinking age I had the ol’man get me a bottle of the Grog.

The ol’man ask if I was able to handle this. Well with a smile and a Hell Yeah, I was on my way. WOW, I have never had a hangover that bad, I don’t remember if the cold got better, but I remember the hangover 26 year later!!!

Now it just a little Crown and time!!!

17. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Rollin's right, if it's a cold all you can do is treat the symptoms, take it easy, drink lots of clear liquid like water & tea, & wait. At bedtime try Actifed, during the day Sudafed 60mg if your head's all stuffed up. Phil E

18. Big Tom

Big Tom TS Member

Vicks in a hot steam type vaporizer helps a lot, if you have chest congestion.

Tom

19. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Zicam works most of the time for me and my family.

20. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse TS Member

My wife says Zicam helps her, I take Garlic and Vitamin-C in the form of Ester-C,I take it all the time and rarly get colds but when I do I double up on both and it seems to help shorten my agony. I just got over my cold about 3 days ago,my wife still has hers and we both got sick at the same time. I just try to help my Immune system all I can. Maybe the placebo effect maybe not all I know is my wife has a million Kleenex a night habit and I am cured so take it for what you will......Jesse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.