1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cold questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

All of my shooting and reloading "stuff" is in an unheated area. Temps are averaging 0 these days. I just bought a new safe, so the guns will now be in this same area. Not much reloading during the winter.

Is there anything I should be aware of? My biggest concern so far is the condensation that will result every time I bring a gun into the house. I think I may hold this to a minimum.

Would putting the gun in a case before bringing it in help? Letting it warm up before I take it out?

Any comments??

capvan

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

capvan, I this really your only option to leave the stuff in those temperature conditions? Just curious. Seriously feel like helping you to get some heat out there if that were possible.

3. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Leave my gun in cold all winter. I never bring it inside because it will sweat. Only heat is from firing it and the car heater when I travel to and from the gun club. Haven't experienced a problem in 5 years. Minnesota really low humidity in the winter and 0 degrees F. isn't unusal.

Regards

W&W

4. KooJo

KooJo Member

Capvan I live in Alaska and all my guns, safe and reloading stuff is in a unheated shop the gas furnace went out a few years ago. I hope to change it out this year. The only problem I have with the guns in the safe was at "Break-Up" (spring) a little condensation no rust on the firearms just a little mildew on my Pre-64 model 12 skeet shotgun and my Model 71 wood stocks . So I placed the 2 boxes of"Browning" desiccant I got at sportsman warehouse. That took care of it but I do check my firearms once week if I did not go shooting. Also make sure the safe is up off the floor so water can get into because holes in the safe bottom.
    If your safe is not bolted to the floor, if you do bolt it, put a rubber washer on the bolt head to keep water out. Hope this helps Joe from Alaska (its only 27 above)

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

No way to heat the space. The house is small and I've got a corner of the "Florida" (right) room. Thanks for the comments. Hopefully, I'll be all set. Lots of desiccant in the safe and it's on bricks up off the floor.

capvan

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

putting the gun in a case is the worst possible thing you can do, let it breath

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

call Al and tell him his global warming needs to move to your house.. I will 2nd CC2000 dont put it in gun case

8. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

Use Black Magic the one without the water added. It is a heavy silicone used to make your tires shine. It protects metal better then anything I have every used and I handled hundreds of guns. I have my safe in the basement no problems.

9. mperkins

mperkins TS Member

Capvan I bought an old savage pump 22 in New Hapshire, the temps were in the single digits, i left the rifle in the truck overnight, when i stepped inside with it the next mourning it began to condensate immediatly --- had to turn around an put it back in the truck. I couldn't figure a way to get it inside but didn't give it my best shot as we we returning to north carolina in a couple days. Seems like you would have to have the metal within 10 or 20 degrees of inside temp. to avoid the dew point. An outside space that would warm from your storage temp to say 50f over a time might aviod codensation, here in N.C. i would leave it in the truck to warm gradually the next morning. You know, washand wear might be on to something, put your cold gun in the backseat, go run an errand, the heater set so not to warm to quickly, bring peheated gun into house. You are correct in that you could put a cold gun in an cold, insulated case and acclimatize it as long as the case was resonably tight. Try it with a brown gun if you have one, give it say eight hours. Many a gun has had the finish damaged by "neglecting" it in a case, you might be able to use a case to help keep from neglecting yours.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I park my guns over the forced air gas heat register and let the hot air take care of any condensation and moisture problems. If the guns have been in the rain then the forend and barrel are taken off to help.

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I've brought guns in after being out in sub-zero and had frost form on them....don't do that any more. If it is in a case and you bring it in, leave it in the case in the driest room in the house til it comes up to room temp,..moisture will be minimal.just don't leave it there and be sure it isn't a sheep lined case (I hope those things didn't exist any longer).

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    As a young man I ruined a nice Marlin 30-30 because of a sheepskin case. Those cases should be banned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.