1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold fingers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by djpk69, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I only shoot in the Winter.I've tried Gripswell and regular gloves, but my fingers get NUMB after 12 or so shots (N.W. Ohio / -10 to 35). Just got some Winter golf gloves, but not sure they will help. Am considering "Under Armour" liner gloves?Any other gloves that will keep my POOR circulated finges WARM? Usually just my trigger finger gets totaly NUMB?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put a hand warmer in your vest pocket with your shells. Keep your hand in the pocket between shots. HMB

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Neopreme waterfowl hunting gloves, will do the trick. Or, try a hand muff with chemical heater pads in it. Keep the shooting hand in the muff between shots.

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Hands and feet are first to get cold due to your body restricting blood flow to the extremeties when in a cold situation. Try dressing more warmly overall to lessen the natural constriction and maintain your core temperature. These heated vests that Sears sells come with a 5 hour heat capability on the rechargeable battery. Worth the $109.00 if you spend a lot of time in the cold.

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The more snugly the glove fits the fingers, the more quickly the fingers will get cold.

Morgan

6. msmith

msmith Member

I do not like to wear gloves when shooting. One thing that I do is put a lot of Bag Balm on my hands and rub it in. It works, I live near Niagara falls, NY and have to deal with cold and wind. When it gets really cold ,like below -0 I use Bag Balm wth thin gloves with the fingers cut off. Mike

7. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I don't think I could use a muff.....as it would slow the squads down. Don't think a heat pack would work either....as it is only the tips of my shooting hand (usually the trigger finger,almost feels frost bit).Very possible my circulation and will ask about blood sugar (but never had a sugar issue before).Tommorow night I'll try these "winter" golf gloves.They look nice,but as mentioned above...probably too tight (almost "skin" tight....should be good for moderate temps).The past 2 times I've shot,it was only in the 30's and I was numbed by the 3rd station.My left (shooting) hand was the only thing COLD.I do recall that I have a pair of mitts that you can "unhinge" at the fingers....perhaps my next "TRY".Will also try Bag Balm as mentioned.I think I'm also going to invest in Under Armour liner gloves as the product must work (never tried any of them ..but for the price they MUST be good ! )Is it true that once you've been frost bitten....those parts are more sensitive to cold ? My dad was frost bitten in WWII and seems to say so.I've worked construction the last 30 years and probably could have been "bitten" in my fingers.

8. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Get some of those heat pads people use for hunting. There throw aways. Get some ace bandages or tape and put the heating pads as close to your arm vain as you can by holding them in place with the ace bandages or tape. Keep a sleeve between the skin and the pad so you don't get burned. By warming up the blood before it gets to your hand will help.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have tried those winter golf gloves. They are very tight and gives one little help when it gets cold. I would use a good warm glove or mitten on your non-shooting hand and on your shooting hand use a good jersey glove. They fit more snug than a regular glove. (Easier to use the trigger). Then place a good JONE hand warmer in the pocket of your shooting coat. Between shots place your hand on this warmer. It should do the trick for the little time you are out in the elements. Ed

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I don't like a glove on my trigger hand either, so I use a MITTEN on my forend hand, along with a disposable heat pack if neccessary, and a large Jon-ee(sp?) hand warmer in my shell pocket. The shooting hand stays in the pocket between shots.

Don't forget a stocking cap on your noggin!!

Doug

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The disposables are popular here, Heat Factory is a good brand if you can find them.You can get a muff with a belt and put a couple in there for toasty warmth.

Cap, yes. Much body heat is lost through the top of your head. Then you get stupid and miss.

HM

12. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

When I lived in Pennsylvania I wore a brand of glove manufactured by a company named Morris. The gloves were made of wool, with the index finger tip area covered with some sort of nylon, with a leather strip across the palm. I believe they were called "The Morris Feel Glove"

They worked great for hunting and shooting in the winter. I've been in California since 1980, and I can't find them here anywhere. If they are still made, they could be the ticket.

13. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

It is absolutely amazing how some folks can live half their lifetime and never get the idea about how to do simple things! I will tell you this only ONCE...then its up to you! To keep my fingers warm while shooting, I have a great big beautiful big-breasted blond bombshell stand at the gunrack. Between rounds, I get my fingers toasty warm. Now, if I have to spell it out for you any further than THAT there's no hope for you anyway, so forget it!

14. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

As rlc323 said, bundle up more overall to reduce the restriction of blood to your extremeties. Hand warmers on the wrist will also help as well.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Hipshot can she warm 2 sets of hands?

Dr.longshot

16. twopipe

twopipe Member

do you smoke ?

17. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Dr Longshot..........Absolutely! Always room for another!

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Twopipe,
    Yes

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Smoking constricts the veins and arterys reducing the blood flow so there's less warm blood flowing to extremitys to keep them warm. OTOH you can move to Florida like I did and those "cold" problems are no more.

Eric

20. breakingclays99

breakingclays99 Member

I hate getting bundled up in the winter to shoot trap, but I have a pair of kangaroo leather shooting gloves from Cabela's and they are honestly the warmest gloves I've ever had. They are excellent.

Also, I shoot a release trigger, and I do think that it is easier to shoot in the winter than a pull trigger, especially when wearing gloves. But I caution you to only go to a release if you're sure you're ready. A release trigger is often reserved for those of us who have problems with flinching and cannot pull a pull trigger. But just as a side note: Changing to a release trigger was the best thing I've ever done for improving my trap scores.

Melissa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting cold hand