1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

coin/token trap release systems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stogie, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stogie

stogie TS Member

Is there anyone that has experience with using and maintaining a coin/token operating trap release system? Such as Briley,Canterbury-trap mizerII, or another company with a proven reliable product. I belong to a one trap gun club and must have a very reliable system. Which system would be most reliable and less maintainence. Thanks for the input.

2. Landshark

Landshark Member

Greater Houston Gun Club has been using the Briley system for years with no issues. We get 27 targets for a token.

On the rare ocassion that we need assistance, the staff corrects the problem and ads back the lost targets. No Biggie.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think an important issue is who is going to install it. HMB

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Local Club tried the Canterbury system. It was a failure and they switched to the Briley system and have had few problems.

TB

5. pdq

pdq Member

A royal pain in the neck.

All it takes is a bunch of broken targets, targets being launched when someone closes their gun or throws a shell in the bucket, and you can find yourself 2 - 3 targets short of completing the round. Then someone has to go and get someone to either re-set the thing or put in another token. My club had them for a couple of years and ripped them out. We've now gone to a coupon approach & no complaints.

Pete

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

It sure will teach some of the chattier shooters to keep their yap closed and when and when not to close the actons on their shell shuckers. Small learning curve at the beginning I'm sure but likely pays itself off in a hurry. LeadMiner, I believe Bob Schultz only carries the Canterbury system.

Jeff

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

The local club got the Canterbury system from Schultz and it was not reliable and Schultz refunded their money. They bought Briley and have had few problems.

Yes... it will teach you to keep your moth shut but the automatic problem is another issue.

TB

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I'm with Lead Miner, we have had Shultz's Target Miser or whatever he is calling it with no complaints on trap. We have it on several fields. Great people to deal with. All of us pay fr wasted targets one way or another.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Stogie, we have two of what were to become the Canterbury system. We bought them from the guy who invented them before he sold the design to Bob Schultz. We have a problem with them and no longer use them.

The problem is not mechanical, they work great. You get 28 targets per token. The problem was with our expectations. We assumed we could set up our two farthest traps, hook up the devices and let everything run unattended. WRONG! Get a couple of yahoos on the squad and each one of their WOW, did you see that, or I smoked that one, or any other of the inane chatter. Those two or three rubes waste enough targets that no one get a full 25, not even the two serious shooters who weren't clowning around. It gets really bad just before dove season when all those rusty hunters come out to see if they can still hit anything.

So to eliminate all the complaints, we supervise the fields. We pop another token it so they can complete the round. My thinking is if you have to supervise the field, why bother with the tokens at all. Just use coupons or something like that. We decided to do away with all of that and just use the honor system.

If you are interested in a good, used machine, I'd be willing to sell at least one of ours. PM if you want more info or to discuss the used machine.

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

All this assumes that your machine can throw 125 usable targets in a row, with no broken or illegal birds, no machine gunning, no stuck oscillators, no late pulls, mics working properly all day long, every day. And staff that keep the traps full, all day long, every day.

May work for you, but not with the traps at my club. They're halfway through installing these gizmos. I am not enthused. I know how our traps work, and my guess is it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I have to wonder just how many birds the folks at my club think they're going to save and how much they're paying to turn our club into a laundromat.

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The local club TBaber refers to is Jacksonville Skeet and Trap in Jacksonville Fl. We did start with the system Bob Schultz now sells, however there have been many upgrades to his system since he started selling them. I want all to know that Bob went the extra mile with us trying to get where he is now with his system. The only reason we changed was due to some very impatient board members at our club. There are those out there that have his system and are being served well by them. Bob and his folks are a class act and should be considered when choosing a system.

Now to the Briley System. It too is a great system and serviced by a good company. Their system differs a little in that you can connect a trap and skeet machine to the box at the same time. The shooter inserts the coin and can choose which game to play, the box cares not.

Target management, we set our tokens at 26 targets. A round is defined as 25 good targets. If you push the button and the targets flies SHOOT! if not you just pissed away one of YOUR targets! Everyone is warned about talking on the trap line with the voice calls out. Same thing, you talk and the target flies, SHOOT, the club is not responsible for your wasteful act. We actually have very little problem with this as we shooters manage this amongst ourselves.

Maintenace: It is paramount that a good maintenance program be in place to insure the machines are properly maintained. We have little problem with broken targets only because of our maintenance. There are times when the bad magic guy causes problems and we freely replace target count as to not short the shooter.

There is always grumpy members when something new is put in place in any orginization. We went thru such a period. Two years later the coin system has increased our revenue stream and folks are now comfortable with them. You would not believe the reduction in "breakage" we have realized. By the way we have them on 8 skeet fields and 6 trap fields as well as our 5 stand.

Should anyone have specific question about the reliabilty, operation or profitability of these systems, feel free to PM me. Jake Jacobs VP/Facility Director, JS&T

12. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

Why do you use this system..We have the trap boy call the squad to shoot..He marks the score and turns the mics on start the squad,,He turns the mics off when the squad changes positions..Most shooters change the mics after the change,,Why I don't know..I never change the mic positioin,,I have a bigmouth
    If you don't have a trap boy how do you know the score you have shot..Do you use the honor systewm..If I shoot the ATA can I keep track of my targets?? I don't think so..If you don't have to pay the trap help what is the price of the targets.. I pay $3.25 with a score keeper..I am a member..
    If you don't pay a trap boy the price should be a lot less..Unless youy are shooting some gold plated targets...Maybe you are shooting at a business and not a club..

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Are the hog caller proof?

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Token machines are generally worth the money. You would be surprised who steals targets at your club. Several VERY WELL HEELED shooters left our club when we went to tokens. Those "extra birds" add up.

On the Trap field, keep your yap shut and put a muzzle on the gaspipe so it does not spit empties into the next speaker. Carry an extra token if the machine breaks a couple more than you paid for, then square it up at the office.

Unfortunately, some gun clubs ARE a business. Paying down debt and the bills is a good thing.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Some interesting perspectives here. I think j2jake gives a good thorough overview of a fair sized club.BTTT

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Palos shooter your post is written by a customer, not a member. Need explaination? Jake

17. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

They "SUCK", I have yet to get the 25 I paid for more time 22 or 23. Move a speaker, loose one, on and on. They SUCK.

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

Indyshotgun.... You live in a dream world. Every club I know who put these systems in have seen their target wastage go down by 20-30%. Gun clubs are a business and they need to make some profit to reinvest in their facility. Stopping free targets with a coin system is a great way to do it.

Tb

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have found that the biggest complainers were the ones who were taking advantage of the free targets. I have heard it said that the club did Lose some shooters because they said they could no longer afford to shoot at our facility. The club did not raise prices just stopped the free targets.

Agree that most people are honest but there is a group that are not. Wish we did not have to lock our doors at night but alas we can no longer do that.

TB

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

One of the problems with the token setup is there are no free targets to set the trap machine for the weather conditions that day. If you have a head wind the targets are sky high, and if you have a tail wind the targets are in the dirt. I don't consider targets used to set the machine as wasted targets. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.