1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coin operated Trap/Skeet fields

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hard8s, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hard8s

hard8s TS Member

I would like to hear from club operators the pros,and cons of coin operated fields. Do the coin operations cause more problems than just saving the club a few unpaid extra targets? Thanks for all replys in advance.

2. DS-AA

DS-AA Member

They are terrible for instruction. If the trap breaks targets you can end up not getting a full 25. I think they suck!

3. Jack Burch

Jack Burch TS Member

All our fields are equipped with them. Took a bit of getting used to for the customers but they are fine with them now. Skeet, trap, 5-Stand, Sporting Clays and Olympic Trap not many problems at all. Increase in profit by 30% documentable.

Jack

4. arms1938

arms1938 TS Member

We have them on 2 skeet fields & just installed them on our 2 trap fields. Took a little getting uses to. Cuts down talking and making a lot of loading noise.
    We have a bypass switch if there is a problem with the trap or doing fun shoots like Annie's and backer uppers. They can be cut off for a Reg Shoot.

Also if someone is giving instructions we turn of the Voice machines and hand pull the targets. Our skeet fields are hand pulled. Trap with voice machines.
    Have to move the voice machines with care and not bang them down as that will cause a bird to flyout.

Saving money for the club and less work for the cashier. Members buy bigger quanties of tokens and that helps the clubs cash flow. More shooters move through as it is easier to control.

Mike Armstrong

5. indianashooter70

indianashooter70 TS Member

All I can say is the clubs seeing more profit due to the machines breaking some targets and people not getting all twenty five then not worrying about it cause it was two or three.

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

We have installed a coin operated machine on a skeet field because of rampant theft. That cured one problem in that we now collect more than double than we did before the machine, but it's a headache for sure. The machine can be programed for as many targets per coin as you would like. Ours is set at 28 per coin and that covers broken targets and other screwups. On the downnside, it's been the worst mechanical device I have seen in 50 years. The damn thing breaks all of the time. We would never buy another coin type and look forward to replacing this one with something a bit more reliable.

7. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

having shot on a couple different types / brands I can tell you they SUCK!!!!!
    the last round I shot where they had these I shot an even 100 targets but they wanted to charge me for 130. there were so many broken targets that the counters cant see, as they only count the push of the button and dont allow for screwed up traps

8. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Our club installed the token system in the past year -- the reason we were told for this $9000 - $10000 ( or higher )expense was to force the non paying 2 or 3 individuals in our club to pay for their shooting -- these shooters could have shoot many rounds at $2.50 a round and we would still be ahead of the game for the hassle and expense of the machines -- the people that sell this equipment of course make their profit and they are in the business of selling them -- they don't tell you about the problems with them -- as far as I am concerned they weren't worth the the hassle of installing them

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

We don't have them at our club but I wish we did, and yes, there is alot of target theft. It is now mandatory for you to purchase a ticket to shoot anything and there must be someone on the field to take the ticket------lots of wasted labor.

I recently shot at a club that has the above system------duematic-----and it works like a champ. The club allows for a few broken targets and you just shut down if it is repetitive and get it fixed.

I asked about the cost, they said it was $10K for the receivers, cards, and computer hardware for 1 trap and 5 skeet fields, and they are going to finish doing them all in the near future.

The cards were quite pricey, $10 apiece and they are recharged each time used, and they club bought 250 of them so there is $2500 of the cost. You can pay for 1 or 50, or however many rounds you want and put it on the card. At this time though, don't lose it.

Slip the card into the receiver, it reads out what you have used and have left and you are good to go.

Their opinion, took less than 12 months to pay for the system.

10. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Our club put in three on the trap side two years ago and the write off "breakage" (make that theft) went down considerably. We just put them on the skeet fields where there has been a HUGE problem with theft and expect even better results. The other big benefit is labor - one guy now can take care of six fields by himself.

The machines themselves have been good but we ended up switching to Briley Coin Ops for the skeet side -- much more reliable. In all, its added to the clubs meager bottom line.

Eric

11. cat

cat TS Member

I have shot the coin operate machines. You recieve 27 targets from one coin; however if you are shooting and someone in the back is a loud talker it can trigger the canteberry and the target comes out losing you a target.

I am asking why in the world can we not trust anyone one at clubs not come in the club house say hey and pay to shoot.

I know that whoever created this coin operation is making a buck but hey I'm shooting practice to become a better shooter not to be frustrated and disappointed.

Cat

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Cat, it's a sorry situation but there's always some bozo that feels the club owes him some free rounds or just plain can't resist stealing from himself this way. It's a fact, I've seen it here and there for some 30 years, and I've documented some of the most creative plans to accomplish the theft. I hate to say it but I'd guess the tokens are the way of the future for clubs that can't afford a baby sitter at the field....breakemall....Bob Dodd

13. tandemdude

tandemdude TS Member

We have the coin operated ones at our club, and I think they are great, how hard is it to buy a bunch of coins, and then you can go shoot when ever you want too. It works really well for our club, you get 27 birds for one coin, and that always covers the broken birds. Which we don't get very many of. Norm

14. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

""""""" don't want to get personal but some of the comments above sound like what we heard when we installed the counters. Now they don't come to the club and "pilferage" is way down. Coincidence? Ron"""""""""

Yes, I asked what the deal was when we had to go to tickets, then management said we were losing too many targets to theft------and it was, pretty much an honor system. So I got to asking around, many members said they watched people come in, turn on the Canterburys and shoot a few rounds, drive right back out the gate.

There was two------that abused it the worst, but they felt they were above everyone else anyway. Drive in, in a C5 ZO6 Vette, shoot 4-5 rounds then drive out the back-------I never paid any attention, but abuse was rampant it appears.

So now, we have a bunch of kids that want a check and do nothing but walk up to take tickets--------won't fill machines til they are empty and with single stacks, don't take long. Gone the other way now, don't get me wrong, there are a couple of good kids but most don't care at all.

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does it work properly with with fewer than five shooters?

16. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

"When it works", it works well. On our skeet field you can shoot as many or as few people on a squad as you want. Each coin (token) is 27 targets. Shoot more than that and the trap stops, simple as that.

Had one of the old farts (who had already been warned) walk up and put a quarter in the machine instead of a token. He was caught red handed. He doesn't shoot their any longer.

Had another guy put a token in the machine from "Chuckie Cheese"... didn't catch him but I think I know who he was.

On a positive note... we have a small refridgerator full of soda and water and a jar for the money. Someone bought a soda with two $4 skeet tokens. Further proof that skeet shooters are dumb as rocks.

17. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

We never had the coin operated machines. However I am sure they would be of great saving to any club that uses them.

At our club for years we had an honor system for water, soda and beer. When I took over I found I was lucky to have enough money to replace the used items. I purchased a refer for the squad room. All were required to pay. Only mistake I made was I did not purchase a large enough one. Our sales quadrupled. Refer was paid in less than 2 months. Oh I know all member are complete honest. But some seem to have a short memory when it comes to paying for what they have received. When we reopen, and I am still around, you can be sure we will install coin operated machines on all fields. - Jim

18. arms1938

arms1938 TS Member

one of the biggest problems in not with the Token machines. Keeping the auto trap & skeet machines clean and adjusted is the problem. We clean the machines twice a week as we shoot on Wed and Sunday. We have very little broken targets.

Seens like a lot of people bitched when they went to cantabury voice machines.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
coin operated skeet machine

coin operated skeet shooting game

coin operated trap and skeet machines
coin operators for trap machines
cost of token operated skeet machines
token operated skeet machines
used briley coin operators
want to put a coun machine to contol our existing skeet traps