1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coin-Op or Card?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Guys,

Looking for feedback on card readers vs. coin operated.

Our club currently has the "Due-matic" card readers at each of our trap and skeet fields. We give out cards to members, they add value to the card, then punch their card in a reader to get 25+2 targets for a round.

The cards are expensive; about $10.00 each. We lose some. Some just wear out eventually. Sometimes we get new cards, and they don't even work, and we have to send them back.

We've had a lot of trouble recently with these things magically changing how much money they take off the card, and lightning taking out the card readers completely.

Replacing or repairing them is doggone expensive.

We're contemplating changing all of the due-matic's with the Briley coin operated system. Cost is ~$750 each, plus you have to buy an inventory of coins 39 cents each.

Before we make this change, I'd like some feedback on your club's experience.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Debit card..

Curt

3. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I like the card idea as I have had trouble with some coin machines...

KK

4. 5spd

5spd TS Member

We have a punch card system at our club so its a bit different, but no electronics are involved, you hand a card over they punch & give you tickets for the trap girls. The other way is just to buy as many tickets you want whether it be 2 or 2000.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The coins work fine. None of the problems that you are having with the cards. Use them at Callaway Gardens Trap and Skeet. HMB

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Jacksonville Gun Club has a new Briley system that appears to work ok. They had a system supplied by Bob Schultz that would not work. Schutz took it back.

TB

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

More info, prompted by 5spd.

Whatever system we go with, part of our goal is to reduce our labor force. As it is now, we have to keep someone available for non-members (who don't get one of the Due-matic cards.) Non-members buy paper tickets at the clubhouse, then give the tickets to the trap help, who punches them in with his Due-matic card.

With the coin op, we'd sell coins to everyone (members and non-members alike)and we could eliminate having to have someone dedicated on hand with a card for non-members.

We're also contemplating this for our sporting clays course, where right now, its on the honor system.

Tim

8. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

The club I belong to is looking at going to some sort of system to manage targets better. There are sadly a lot of rounds shot that are simply not paid for. Both trap and skeet.

Tim

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For a few years now I have seen this issue come up. The fact is that coins or cards will wind up in motel rooms, dresser drawers, aond washing mashines.

So it's a no brainer. I would rather lose a 39 cent token than a 10 dollar card.

Of course the machines have to work. We sent some back too. (Not Briley)

We are now on hold with regard to pay systems.

HM

10. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Member

Lost coins = profit.
    Sell the coin for $4.00,replace it for $.39 = $3.61 profit for the club!
    Mike

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The Briley system at Jax is toast. Lighting paid it a visit. Will be interesting to see what Briley has to say. I understand it did function before that. The system the Schultz folks had did have some problems, HOWEVER, it has been completely redesigned and is nothing like before. Jax has been supplied a system to test. The one thing I want everyone to know is the level of service extended to Jax GC by Target Shotguns is A1 !! It did take sometime for the redesign to take place but you will find no better businessman than Bob Schultz. He is a man of his word. Jake Jacobs

12. Layne Kuhlman

Layne Kuhlman TS Member

We have the card system on 12 fields and it has been in place for several years.
    We have over 500 members and we throw over 2,000,000 targets a year. We bought our system from Golden West Ind. in Calif. This system works great, we have minumal problems with all of the units and, if needed, the the service they provide for their machines is great.
    If I had to I would buy this system again.
    Layne Kuhlman
    Manager
    San Diego Shotgun Sports

13. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Tim,

We were one of the first to use the Briley coin system for all our fields, Skeet, Trap, 5-Stand & Sporting Clays. The system works great but like all equipment it has both it's quirks and maintenance issues.

The new relay boards are a bit weak but Briley has always taken care of them. You must oil the mechanical part of the coin system once in a while or it will stop allowing the coin to travel through the system. Learn how to adjust the coin drop so that other coins will not work. Make sure that the boxes are level. If you are not interested in having your club initials on your coins I can tell you where to get them for much less. Try to use the biggest coins possible as they help the system work better.

The great news is the revenue it brings in, 30% increase for us.

Visit with Jason Menke at Briley.

Jack Burch
    Hill Country Shooting Sports Center
    Kerrville, Texas
    830-459-9215

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

After a long talk with the fellow who went with Briley coin machines at Carson City, NV, I can tell you what was said. The machines are great, do what they're supposed to do, but are not perfect when it comes to being out in the weather. They installed coin-ops on the skeet ranges and began having some trouble after the first winter, exposed to high desert weather; 4000 ft elevation, snow, rain, freeze, wind. The fix which made them seem indestructible was to not only mount the box on a sturdy surface or pole but to enclose the Briley box within a larger, electrical type box. When opening the field, they just open the outside box which exposes the Briley box and it's controls. Since then, no problems at all with the coin system. My local club is in the process of installing two skeet-coin boxes and our intent all along was to hang them on the exterior of the high house so the squad walking out to shoot the next round would deal with feeding coins right then and there. After discussing that with the Nevada friend, he suggested we actually install them within the high house, maybe in a wood case, and have a wood or metal door on the outside that would provide a second bit of protection from weather.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Our sporting clays course and actually quite a few sporting ranges use counters. When the squad goes out the counter is read or set at zero when they come back there is an exact count of targets pulled. No having to stop and reload a card or more coins just pay when your through. This system works great and after a certan number of targets allowed for breakage you charge for each target weather it's 5 or 500. Believe it or not total targets shot actually went up after the counters were installed.

Joe

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've experienced Joe's idea of using counters over tokens or cards. Sporting courses are the best use of counters. It's a dandy method of control of birds thrown and paid for BUT everyone that has had them where I've visited, complains that counters do have a tendency to fail to show up by the end of the day, whether on purpose or accidental. They're issued by a serial number or counter number and it's not difficult to know who should have paid and returned the counter but even that's a hassle if the shooter lives well away or even in another state, eh?....breakemall....Bob Dodd

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The simple way to keep track of the counters is take a Credit Card impression and tell the shooters that if the counters are not returned they will be charged $200 for targets and the counter. Ended the missing counters. The $50 deposit wasn't enough for the cheaters they would go out and loose the counter and shoot $100 worth of targets. They have been quite reliable except when people run over them or drop them from a moving cart.

I like them because they keep track of how much shooting your dooing and you don't have to count boxes or go back for more tokens.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.