1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cocked wads in remington premier hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Tried loading some of the light green remington premier hulls this evening. Using CCI primers, clay dot, claybuster fig-8 replacement, and 1 1/8oz #8 shot. I noticed about 25% of them had a small bulge in the side. Opening a couple, I see that the lip of the wad appears to have gotten caught on SOMETHING, and about 1/4" of the lip is folded up, causing the base of the wad to cock. I'm probably going to end up cutting open all the shells I loaded (6 boxes worth), since I'm a little afraid of what'll happen if I try to shoot even the ones that don't have the bulge.

Now here is the mystery. I loaded a couple VERY slowly, making sure the wad fingers were guiding the wad into the shell properly. They appear to be guided into the hull properly, so i'm at a loss as to where the way is catching.

Loader is a PW 800+, and the wad guide appears to be in excellent shape. The only thing I can figure is the wad is getting caught on one of the folds of the crimp is pointed "in" (for lack of a better description). Never run into this with any other hulls, if I can't find an easy solution, i'll just trash the premiers I have and go back to loading sts and gun clubs, but I would like to figure out the real cause, esp if it ever crops up loading any other shells...

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Nevermind, answered my own question. Wad guide is split, so its spreading open way too far, and the wad is catching on the hull. Guess I should have taken the guide out first and inspected it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.