1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COATING ON NEW FEDERAL PAPERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 27-T, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 27-T

27-T Member

Does anyone know what the coating is, on the new Federal papers. It appears to be more substantial than the old wax coating. The ones that I have want to go back halfway closed after firing. To reload them, I've been using a shell iron to open the mouth all the way. Whatever the coating is, it becomes very fluid when heated on the shell iron, but when loaded, they crimp beautifully. Let me know what the coating is, ifyou know.

2. 27-T

27-T Member

Does anyone know what the coating is, on the new Federal papers. It appears to be more substantial than the old wax coating. The ones that I have want to go back halfway closed after firing. To reload them, I've been using a shell iron to open the mouth all the way. Whatever the coating is, it becomes very fluid when heated on the shell iron, but when loaded, they crimp beautifully. Let me know what the coating is, ifyou know.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I load Fed papers all the time ( nothing else) I have 5000 and dont know what you are talking about? All my once fireds are nearly perfect on the open end? I have never used a hot iron or anything else, I just load em up and they look like factory loads.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just a guess. Probably a polymer.

6. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

Hey 27T
    Where did you get the shell iron. I have some old Federal papers that are deformed that need to be reshaped but can't seem to find a shell iron to buy.

George Ware

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I recently got about 10 flats of Federal papers that smell like peaches. Pretty freakin awesome! Peaches when unfired and burnt Federal paper smell when fired.

9. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

How hot does you riron get
    Chuck

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'm curious why you even need an iron for the papers.

I have about 15,000 paper hulls left, and I've reloaded a ton of them. I have never, ever used an iron in the reloading process. However, I only reload a once-fired hull, ONCE.

Is that the reason or necessity of the iron? I use the smooth head precrimer on both the Spolar and P/W reloaders, and it works beautifully.

WW

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Like Jim, I load them with no iron and never had a prob. I dont even change the crimp head. He is right about once though. After that they tend to get ragged on the end and lose their shape however I have loaded them 6-7 times until they burn through. I only do that when I cannot get enough hulls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.