1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coaching New Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skip, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

I’ve been coaching some new trap shooters from gun safety to first time on a squad.

Beyond gun safety and personal safety equipment would anyone care to offer what you consider the best course of instruction (pointers) to take on new shooters?

There is so much experience to pass along to new shooters but so little time to do it in. It’s easy to over whelm a new shooter and possibly scare them away.

I’m open to any tips and suggestions you all might have.

Thanks in advance

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

safety first, proper trap etiquette, then enjoy the sport,

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The first thing you have to do is un-teach them the one thing they KNOW from a lifetime of watching cowboy and cop movies - that one aims one's gun. You have to convince them that while aiming works with handguns and rifles, it is utterly destructive for clay target or wing shooting. Then simply work on the basics - check for master eye , both eyes open, focus on the target, never look at the bead (it isn't a sight and isn't there to be used as one) MOVE the gun, mental and visual focus, proper setup, proper posture.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Eye dominance and starting with an appropriate shotgun, eyes and ears and are givens...

For new shooters on Day One, I lock down a trap and start them behind the house to get them breaking targets quickly... we start with dry-firing and then live ammo... everyone has some inate ability, so I want early success then work on more complex particulars...

I find that if a new shooter has early success, that develops respect for my abilities and recommendations... and they will follow further direction.

I then back up to about 8 yards and keep them breaking targets. We also step about 3 paces left and right of center as well to introduce mild angles... if we continue to have a high degree of success at 8 yards, we then back up to the 16 yard line...

No fancy exercises. I find a lot of early success, generates interest in seeking further success...

regards,

Jay

5. skip

skip Member

Some great ideas Jay.

Never heard of starting from behind the trap house and working back, nice confidence builder.

Thanks guy's

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

First, start with pattern board 13yds. Make sure the gun shoots where they look. This will build confidence or suggest changes to the gun to get it right on paper. Then the above are all good.

Regards

W&W

7. hdskip

hdskip Member

Jay,
    I hardily agree about early success!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.