1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COACHES--favourite drill for youth programs?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalamitySJ, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Coaches and shooters,

In our 'off-season' of January through March we set plans for our youth program's upcoming season. Some of these shooters have been with us for four years and we need some new ideas in our arsenal. I thought that, if we all shared some of our favourite techniques, drills, and games we use to teach others (and ourselves!) we could really help each other's programs.

I'll start--One of my favourite drills to teach 'hard rights' is something I learned from Devault & Debow. We set the trap up to shoot hard right targets and line the kids up on the first post with only 10 shells in their pouch. Each kid takes two shots from each station, starting with the first post which, set up this way, is a straightaway. As they move left to right through the stations they know what's coming, that they need to adjust their lead, their foot placement, and quickly learn that 'hard rights' aren't that hard at all. I come back to this drill myself when my brain forgets to see the bird correctly on post 5 and it always helps.

Calamity

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

How about some new games??? How about Scrape. Its wabble trap shot from stations l-7 on the skeet field. You get 2 shots at each bird and you have to keep shooting until you hit one (limit 3 tries if you like). Good Clean fun with some big leads and alot of fun for Kids. You have to keep it interesting for them, and you still get 25 targets. Break-em all. Jeff

3. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Games are great too--our kids love it when we end our program with a game. Sometimes I think they learn more from the games than from the drills. Jim McDiffett, the head coaching instructor during our NRA/ATA coach training, shared a lot of his experiences with games too. One of my favourite games of his is one where the kids line up and take turns trying to smoke a target. Like an Annie Oakley, if the first person leaves a piece when he/she hits it then the next person tries to 'clean up the mess'. If the second person leaves a piece or misses, then the third person takes a shot and so on until the last piece is smoked or hits the ground. It sure encourages the first shooter to see the target!

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Sally,

At the club I shot at in WI we called that game "Annie Robbery". I hated it!!!

Doug

5. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Doug,

Back Your Buddy is one the kids love but I hate competing in. Too much pressure, baby! Keep us posted on the success of your youth programs up north, okay? Your club has some great programs to get youth interested in shooting sports and are really dedicated to providing the best for kids.

So if you hated Annie Robbery, what games did you like?

Sal

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Round the world maybe? everyone lines up on station 1, if you hit your target you advance to station 2, if you miss a target you go back one station, first one to make it to station 5 then back to station 1 wins..

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

I help with the local 4-H and two games the kids like to play at the end of regular shooting is

"back up"

where they are in two man teams, one calls and shoots the other shoots at if the first misses, if both miss they are out for the round, then after each team has had a try at one bird, all move one position to the right so the teams in the middle don't get unfair advantage, we go until one team is left standing.

"annie oakley" is the other game they really like to play, and with that one if we get down to only three kids and not making any progress towards elimination after a couple rounds we move up to right behind the trap house and only smoke balls are acceptable hits, any chunks and they are out to settle the match and start with the next one so all kids get some shooting in.

Our philosophy with the 4-H program is not promoting competition so much as having a fun yet safe experience with the shotguns and on self improvement. There is enough competition and "have to win" mentality out there already. So we emphasize that it can and should be enjoyable to do.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

We would play rounds of no call...at the shooters turn they would mount their gun and settle, the shooter was instructed they did not need to call...and i would pull the bird whenever i felt like it..the delay could be 2seconds or 20...but they always came away looking hard for the bird and figured out the best holds to pick it up quickest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.