1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coach I need some help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by letzc1, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letzc1

letzc1 TS Member

I need some help with my shooting. This is my 1st year trap shooting. I began shooting in March as a lefty with a Fausti O/U. Being left handed and right eye dominant, in July I switched to shooting right handed so that I can keep both eyes open. That was the best single thing I have done in my brief shooting career. I'm 50 and can tell you it is possible.
    I got rid of the Fausti field gun in May and started shooting a Beretta Tecknys Gold trap gun and like it very much.
    For singles I use I/M choke and move to full for handicap rounds. I use 1oz. #8 reloads with 19 gr of RedDot and 8 petal jammer wads.
    I have had a few great days where I've scored 95/100 targets. I use a high Point of aim and try to let the target float into my POI, sort of like the Harlan Campell style. I've seen his videos. I can't ease into targets like suggests so I do what comes naturally.
    I just cannot get consistent with my shooting. One round I hit 24, the next round I may score 20/21. I'm not flinching, shoot 5-6 rounds in 2 outings/wk.
    I think I have the fundamentals down like follow through, foot positions, gun hold points but am frustrated. My speed has gotten much better over the year. I can break targets much sooner than when I started shooting. Any help out there for a frustrated shooter?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I wonder if you are trying too hard? If you are, you are second guessing your reflexes.

The next time you are on the field, make a determination that you are going to use your powers of concentration and focus to look at the target. Let your reflexes take care of everything else.

If you are satisfied with your setup, that is, foot position, hold and focal points, break point, follow through, and staying in the gun, etc., simply look at the bird and MAKE IT GO AWAY.

Have you put your gun on paper, using the Winston Method? KNOWING what your shotgun is doing out there is a powerful tool. Personally, I prefer a POI that is almost 100% high. I want a few pellets under the front bead in case I blow through the target a little.

For me, this works. If I float the bird, or get the bead into the bird, it breaks. If I get the bead at the top of the bird,I still get a break. This is at the 16.

I put a lot of finger in the trigger, and hold the trigger in until the target is gone. I will then release the trigger and dismount. If I am doing my part, I generally do not remember pulling the trigger.

200straight thanked this.
  3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Below I have copied a very important part of Coach's advice.

"The next time you are on the field, make a determination that you are going to use your powers of concentration and focus to look at the target. Let your reflexes take care of everything else."

Another way of saying the same thing is to mount your gun firmly, see the target and the gun will just go off by itself when things are right.

Pat Ireland

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I would recommend a clinic. It is very hard for a shooter to watch himself and pick up what is going wrong. An instructor can help you strengthen your strong points and eliminate your weaknesses. Most shooters don't usually have one big, huge problem, they usually have several small issues that affect their game. A trained eye can pick up on these small things and get you back to posting good scores on a more consistant basis.

5. letzc1

letzc1 TS Member

I really want to participate in a clinic but right now isn't a great time. Perhaps I can do that early next year. Something else I would share is that when I am shooting with the best shooters in our club, my shooting is better also. I have no time to dilly dally with these guys they run through a round so quickly. I even break targets faster myself. With these guys my shooting IS instictual as I barely have time to reload. I like to keep the rhythm in the squad going and it's all I can do to keep up but darn it, I shoot better! So is this telling me I am thinking too hard about what I am going to do? By the way, any opinions bsed on experience on the 8 petal wads I am using?

6. Frye

Frye TS Member

You've got some REALLY good posters here offering advice, I'm no where near there level in the teachings of this game however you and I have common ground. I too have only been shooting for a year. One mistake I made early was trying to shoot to fast. I too shoot with very good shooters who are fast to call and fast to shoot. Don't let that rythm take away from your concentration. I like shooting fast but too fast isn't good, I find myself over running the bird and I either take the tops off or miss all together, Especially "straight aways". As far as the 8 pedal Jammers, That's what I use and like 'em. I don't chrono my loads or pattern them alot. I just load 'em and shoot 'em. I found a 1200FPS load with Clays powder and I load just a tich under that. They work great for me.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I generally will tell folks to establish their routine and stay with it. I do not let fast shooters cause me to change my routine.

With this said, it sounds like when you are rushed, you do not take the time to over think. If you shoot better under such conditions, you obviously know what to do. You are letting your reflexes (reactive brain) take over and break the bird.

I hesitate to go on about the cognitive and reactive brain. The cognitive brain is, (for most of us) the conscious brain that does our thinking and figuring (7 1/2's or 8's?).

The reactive, or subconscious brain is that part of the brain that controls bodily movements and functions WITHOUT conscious thought.

On the line, the cognitive brain will second guess you right out of your bird.

The reactive brain will unerringly put your gun on target and pull the trigger at the right time. Use the cognitive brain to ACQUIRE AND FOCUS ON THE BIRD. Let your reactive brain "take care of business".

As Pat so wisely said, "Another way of saying the same thing is to mount your gun firmly, see the target and the gun will just go off by itself when things are right."

When I am in the right frame of mind, which is not often enough, I seldom have a conscious memory of pressing the trigger. Dismounting the gun is almost an afterthought. :^)

8. letzc1

letzc1 TS Member

Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement. The reactive brain vs. cognitive brain is very interesting. I think I need to let go a bit and not try too hard. I'm sure you have all been shooting for a long time and have accepted what it takes to shoot well. I'm working very hard on that.

I shoot here in northern Illinois. I went to the club yesteday and the snow was blowing so hard in our faces we could barely see the targets. talk about challenging!

9. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Letzc1-- I hate to pee in your wheaties but your problem is probably that you are still cross-firing, meaning that switching sides may not have done all that much good. The inconsistency that you speak of is one of the major symptoms of cross-firing. Send me a PM and I will send you my phone number so we can talk and I can give you some things to test and help you figure out just exactly what your problem is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.