1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CNC Machine setup for making choke tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just keep one thing in mind, your tubes had better be a lot better than what's available. Hard to justify $1000 when you can buy whatever you want for $50.

ss

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

No one person could possibly use enough choke tubes in his lifetime to make it worthwhile, Let alone needing an FFL to do it. I own CNC machinery and even Krieghoff TI tubes are not worth the time it would take to make to make a couple.

3. alf174

alf174 Member

Choke tube threads look to be ground, not turned, so you may need a thread grinder in addition to a CNC lathe. With today's conversational setups, programming is nothing, but you'll need to provide a design (sizes & tolerances) for their setup guy to program too. Outside costs would include material, heat treat, and maybe chrome. Plus you'll need the proper licensing to make gun parts from the government. Choke tubes are not a commodity item so pennies per piece? Not likely unless you can sell many thousands quickly.

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Manufacturing choke tubes requires an FFL or "proper licensing to make gun parts from the government"???

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I would think you wopuld be much better off making aftermarket Beretta auto accessories than choke tubes. There are several parts that could be made and run in quantaties that will always sell and there are no liabilities with bolt closures,mag cap weights,trigger shoes,bolt handles and the extended release pin under the carrier. That is what i would try before choke tubes.

6. alf174

alf174 Member

"Manufacturing choke tubes requires an FFL or "proper licensing to make gun parts from the government"??? "

Possibly, I would at least inquire about it.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have cnc machines, I think the threads are cut not ground, no future in have them made, buy aftermarkets or like I do, shoot the ones that come with the gun.. I'm not a good enough shot to tell any difference..lol..

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Plus, and OD and ID grinder. Gets even more costly.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Shot410ga, you don't use id/od grinders to make tubes. You buy tubing of the material you plan on using, then set it up in your CNC turning center. A $300,000+ Swiss screw machine will knock one out every few minutes, or you could screw around and make one on a manual lathe.

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

TOOLMAKER 251, Trulock uses solid bar stock.

oleww, This company will assume no liability, will you?

11. 221

Yes, you WILL need a FFL, and there is no such thing as "this company assumes no responsibility"......If you make them..... they are your problem.

12. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I can't exactly see the intelligence in using solid bar stock to make a tube. There's no advantage to starting with solid bar stock, and they create way more waste material. Not exactly my definition of "efficiency"...

221, I've never seen anything about needing an FFL to make choke tubes. I'm not saying you're wrong, I would just like to see a reference. Josh

13. 221

oleww.....You said a friend making them at his place of employment.....That's no longer personal. His boss may allow it, still makes him liable.....crappy system, but that's life.

Personal use is when you own the equipment and you make them for yourself.

Josh....If I replace a spring in your gun I need an FFL....Legally speaking.

And....BTW Specific alloy tubing can be difficult and EXPENSIVE to purchase. Bar stock is Cheap, compared to alloy tubing as it was a bar before they made tubing out of it.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How sure are you, you need an FFL,? An FFL costs $90.00 to renew it. Original cost might be a little more.

But I do not believe you need an FFL to machine choke tubes.

But who am I to know.

I just called a machinist friend of mine who makes choke tubes and he says you do not need an FFL to make choke tubes.

Some gun companies have job shops w/CNC equipment make their tubes for them and they do not have an FFL.

He says it takes about 2 hours max to program the CNC Machine to make the tubes
    and once you have it programmed you save the program for future tubes, each different tube will take different programs, and each choke constriction takes a different program, But the constriction machining would be easily programmed.

But when you get into extended tubes, Knurling, Etc takes more programming.

How about your friend making Brass Knocker Outers, only longer heavier ones than those that are made now, there is a need for them as the steel rimmed hulls stick harder in the chamber.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It is true you need BATFE approval to make anything firearm related. Go to a machine shop and ask them.

16. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

TOOLMAKER 251: "It is true you need BATFE approval to make anything firearm related. Go to a machine shop and ask them."

OK, so if I make trigger shoes or barrel weights or butt pads or checkering tools or choke tubes or recoil reducers or sight beads or add-on adjustable ribs or adjustable comb hardware or release triggers or pistol grips or rifle sights or ???, I need BATFE approval?

BS.

An individual may legally manufacture a COMPLETE FUNCTIONAL firearm for his own use without BATFE knowledge or approval. They couldn't care less about choke tubes.

17. 221

HUUUMMM. .....2 hrs to program a choke tube??...Sounds like he needs to upgrade his software......2 hrs to program and tool maybe. That's probably what he meant.

18. 221

<em>"OK, prove it."</em>

NOT THIS AGAIN..........%~)

19. mperkins

mperkins TS Member

hey oleww don't give up the dream. the fellas we buy all are gun stuff all had questions and acted. how about this --- order a pitch gauge from MSC 4 - 80 pitch, less than $20. measure your choke tube. If you are still intrigued find a used american lathe, a southbend at a minimum. Make sure it has the same pitch on the quick change box as you measured on your tube and buy the lathe, make sure single phase. Find a copy of how to run a lathe --- these are sometimes found in the storage compartment on southbend lathes -- they may even be the publisher. Read the book , learn how to chase a thread, its relativly easy. If still interested buy some Pee Dee wires and make your first tube. 4140 tubing from dillsberg airplane works in Penn.. Borrow a friends gun, check tube for proper fit and see how she shoots. You will never regret learning a new skill. Plus Ultra

20. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

221, I agree, you would need an FFL to replace a spring in my gun. But, you need to hold my gun to replace said spring. Last I checked, a gunsmith wasn't required to change my choke tube...Though it has been a while since I've looked into any new guns. It's still lefty-loosey/righty-tighty, Right? :) So I need the ATF's permission to make my snap caps and add on ribs? All in good fun, Josh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
choke tube material
cnc choke tubes
do not choking for cnc machine
how to machine choke tubes

machining choke tubes

machining shotgun chokes
shotgun choke material
shotgun choke meterial