1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CMT Lenses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Has anyone tried the CMT lenses from Randolph? Are they worth the extra money?

2. newcastle

newcastle Member

yes,I have tried them and like them but also like the light brown, you will find more comments if you do a search.

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

They work great for me. Best in bright sunlight but I don't have the problems others seem to have when shooting in dimmer light. I like them!

4. dfrank7262

dfrank7262 TS Member

I LOVE my CMT's. I wear them all the time, except on the very darkest of days. Even on fairly overcast days, they still make the targets just pop for me.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I tried them, found them to be too dark for me in the light conditions i shoot in and against the backgrounds I shoot agst, i usually use the lighter colors (brown 50% of the time, vermilion 40%, and pale yellow when its real cloudy or under the lights).

My set is in pristine condition, for 68mm frames. Will sell for $50 shipped if interested (i believe they sell new for $90 plus shipping).

kolarskeet@gmail.com

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like the CMT also. I recently bought a pair of rangers with pale yellow, vermillion and CMT. I did see a post not long ago for lens that change for lighting conditions. These I would have been more interested in. IF I had known about them before buying the CMTs. Always Xmas.

7. biff

biff Active Member

I've owned several pair. They do enhance the red/orange and work best on sunny days against a blue sky. The first pair I got faded and was told that bright sunslight will eventually fade them.

I used to show them to people and they were amazed at how they popped the red when they looked through them; it was interesting that none I showed them to appeared interested in owning a pair! Biff

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

my cmt's are sold

9. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have trouble with mine in the winter but they work great for me during the summer go figure that one out.

10. ink ball

ink ball Member

The CMT lenses definitely highlight the orange, but for me the light transmission is too low (18% as I recall). They only time I use them is bright sunlight with snow on the ground. Given that I hate winter weather, I don't use them to often. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't spend the money for the color mags.

11. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I like my CMTs, but I cannot use them unless it is a reasonably bright day. On overcast days, I have trouble with my eyes not gathering enough light to properly focus "hard" on the target.

However -- I do not blame the lenses, as much as I do getting older. *smiles*

They sure do make the target just seem to "jump" out of the background. If you have never looked through a pair of CMT lenses, you owe it to yourself to do so.

12. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Be sure to have your eyes tested for color acuity. If you have red/green color blindness, you won't be a candidate for CMT lenses.

If you have red/green color blindness, vermillion will aid you.

Best,
    Dennis

13. tomk2

tomk2 Member

The CMT lenses fade over time. Mine faded after about 3 years.

14. dfrank7262

dfrank7262 TS Member

Interesting. There were no instructions of any kind enclosed with my glasses with CMT lenses I got directly from Randolph. Maybe in retrospect, they figured out they needed to be telling people about the degradation of the lenses in prolonged exposure to sunlight.

Dana

15. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

My CMT clipons faded VERY quickly. The only times they were exposed to any light was while I was wearing them to shoot.

Based on this, I no longer recommend CMT lenses.

Tom Stewart

16. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I stored my lenses in the Randolph cases inside my trap bag when not in use. Well, OK, I suppose once or twice they were hooked on my shirt collar in-between events instead of in the case or on my nose. But never on the dashboard. I resent the implication that improper care is responsible for the product failing after several years. But perhaps if you are compulsive about sheilding them from light they would last longer.

However, the fact is that I never used them all that much. Too many overcast days or night shooting that they were too dark for. They were nowhere near two thousand hours of exposure to sunlight (two years of 3 hours a day). When I realized how faded they were, and that I didn't really miss them all that much, I decided not to replace them. I did really enjoy the weird colors they would bring out of women's hair, and how you could spot a guy with a sunburn three fields away, and I did think they they were good lenses on really sunny days.
    But now I use my other fine Randolph lenses, which have remained in fine condition just by making sure I don't drop them and scratch them up. You know, NORMAL care and use.

If I thought the CMT lenses were such a great advantage, I wouldn't mind buying new ones every few years. But I found myself using other lenses more often than the CMT's well before the CMT's faded, so no replacements for me. But go ahead and buy some for yourself, I got enough enjoyment out of the technology to prevent any regrets about buying them once.

17. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

KEVIN56

I really like my CMTs and shoot with them in all lighting conditions except at night when I use clear lenses. If you can, try a pair before you buy them. I've had 2 or 3 people try on my CMTs and they hated them right away. For me, the CMTs make the orange targets brighter and darken the background. This results in lots of contrast making the target easier to see. I purchased my Ranger glasses from Morgan Optical. They are located in upstate New York and frequently advertise in Trap & Field. BTW, for any lenses I would suggest getting the Zeiss anti-glare coating applied as well.

Good Shooting

Gavin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cmt lances

cmt lense

cmt lenses