1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clyde Slide

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1moreround, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

I have been wondering what the major differences are between the Soft Touch and the Clyde Slide, as I would like to have one done on my TMX. I like the fact that the S.T leaves the rear of the comb "uncut" to install the sliding comb, where other companies cut it completely off and reattach it. I prefer the looks of the ST, but have heard very satisfied reports about Clydes work ,but have not been able to find any photos of his installs. Does anyone have some they might be kind enough to post...Thank you.....Ernie

2. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Ajax: I'm sure Clyde told me it is an air cylinder with an internal spring..

Nsxer: Thank you for posting the photo. Are the 3 aluminum spacer plates, just for lop or is that a normal install?

3. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have Clyde slides on two guns, one a BT 99 the other an XT Trap. Very pleased with the performance of both guns. I really like the fact that the comb and recoil pad stay with the shoulder while the rest of the guns moves underneath on recoil.

Lots of rounds down range and no complaints.

4. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ernie, mine was $300.00 including return shipping last fall using my pad adjuster. Clyde was a pleasure to do business with.<br>
    The last picture is not my gun, but shows the parts breakdown.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I don't know about the major differences, except the price. I've had both systems and couldn't tell the difference in recoil. I could tell you that my last install was a stainless Soft Touch on my 682 gold and although it works great, there were some cosmetic flaws left in the padded comb, stock, and installed parts that I would have not expected after paying $950 for the whole system including 4-way padded comb (this was 4 years ago).

If I was going to have another one installed, I'd definitely call Clyde first. I've heard that he has a waiting list at times, but it would be worth contacting him.

Jennifer

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The system looks heavy. What does it weigh?

7. Harv Shell

8. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Thanks all for the comments. Clyde quoted me $300 for the complete install less pad and adj butt plate. Very fair price considering the high cost of the ST

NSXER: Thanks for the explanation. With the comb and rear of stock moving together as one unit, you don't have your cheek being rubbed every shot. This is the feature that attracts me to this type of system. Its very soft to shoot.

Shotshell: In the last photo of the parts breakdown, is that not an air cylinder or is it only a tube containing a spring, as I was sure Clyde mentioned an air cylinder with spring assist, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong..

If it is only a spring to soak up the recoil, I certainly hope it doesn't make that annoying beretta 391 spring twang every time it's fired. That's one real plus with the soft touch it is quiet and smooth...

Jennifer: Goes to show with the cosmetic disappointment you've experienced, doesn't always mean you get what you pay for. too bad...

Ernie

9. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I don't the know the fore mentioned smiths for the recoil systems.

I do know Bill Simons, out of southern AZ, he follows the winter chain, and does a really good job on installing the recoil system he makes.

I would be really surprised not to see him at Tucson Trap and Skeet this week.

AL

10. Harv Shell

Ernie, it's a spring in a tube. The springs are replaceable in different depression rates from Ace hardware. The system is smooth and quiet, I've never heard any noise.

11. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Big Al: I have never heard of Bill Simons or seen any of his work, and would be interested in knowing more about his system.

Shotshell: Good to know it is a quiet system, I'm sure Clyde mentioned that he only uses one spring for all applications now. With a deeper stock hole drilled for the plunger, one could always install a soft touch cylinder in there for $80..

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The last photo showing the parts breakdown of the Clyde Slyde is a photo I took of the unit that was installed on my MX-15. The cylinder is, indeed, a spring housing. There is absolutley NO air, or hydraulics, in a Clyde Slyde unit. I have had several of Clydes units on my guns over the years, and one soft touch. The soft touch couldn't compare to the Clyde Slyde, either in price, nor in function. And the best part is Clydes attention to detail. He is a true craftsman. Take your pick: A Clyde Slyde for around $325.00, complete, or a soft touch for around $1200, complete. Both do the same job, and if you shot either one with your eyes closed, you probably couldn't tell the difference between the two. I would also guarantee you that Clyde would NEVER send your gun back with a scratch, ding, chip, dent, or anything else. His unit is, simply put, the most effective, economical, best looking, and efficient recoil reduction device available today, period! Just my personal experience...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

MIA- that would have been a Paul Simon( not Jim Croce) song you tried to quote.LOL

Larry

14. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Wow, Jacks a composer too

15. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Bill Simons, Bills Custom Recoil Reducers, works the AZ winter chain he will be at (or) should be at Casa Grande Trap club this week. I had my Chain dates mixed up in my head.

He has a web site connected to Double Adobe Recreational and Shooting Ranch Ncneely AZ.

When Tony (???????) that makes(?) the TS2000 trap gun puts a recoil system on, Bill is his first call.

As said earlier Bill's system looks alot like the Clyde Slide, Bill Has his spings in a brass tuge sealed at the front (the end towards the muzzle) and using an O ring to the back, and Bill jewels all the surfaces you can see. The part that holds the comb has the systems top guide, so the top guide rod is not used compared to the picture of the C.S. above. There are a couple other differrences but they would not show up the way the C.S. pictured above is laid out.

Al

16. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I'm with Dan Thome on his comments. I had other work done by Shooter's Emporium another time before, and I had to send my stock back. I'm really not a picky person, either. It seems like now that Moe isn't doing the work anymore, the quality has slipped. To be fair, they offered for me to send my 682 back. But I had to ask myself, if they can't get it right the first time, what makes me think that another mistake won't be made?

Jennifer

17. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Dan: Thanks for your opinion on the Clyde Slide and the ST, I appreciate hearing from others who have been around this game for awhile, and know who and what is out there..

Big Al: I'll look into Bills work further, but it sounds like he does good work..

Jennifer: That's very discouraging, knowing you are spending top dollar to get the so called best and most expensive recoil reduction system on the market and then have shotty workmanship..

I want the best person available to do my work, someone who takes pride in what they do...

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Trap2, sent you a PM

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Setterman..... I received your PM and have answered it.....Dan

20. twostraight

twostraight Member

Bill Simons website

http://www.billscustomrecoilreducer.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.