1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clunker Consequences

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have just been running into some consequences of our "dearly beloved" plan to save Government Motors and it cohorts put forth by bigger and better government.

Our first experience came a couple of weeks before "CARS". We had a car being sold by a neighbor, 2000 Cavalier in pretty good shape, for about $2,000. While we were considering it, they sold it to someone who was on welfare because the buyer was getting 50% of the car price from the PA Welfare department as part of a "go to work" plan where she needed the car to get the job. At least the seller was honest with us when she called to say the car was sold. The buyer was even willing to go above the asking price. Who wouldn't when someone else is GIVING you the money? It was not a loan but a "grant".

Incidentally, this is in Pennsylvania where they "did not have the money" to pay state employees (that is those who are the working class) but still could pay the politicians, prisoners and welfare. Student aid, education grants etc. however are STILL not able to be paid a full month and a half AFTER the law "required" the budget to be passed.

I have been looking around for a car for the daughter for the past several weeks. I started to get a feel for the market a month or two before the "CARS" program became known. Prices on cars at that time, at least the ones I was looking at, were in the $3,000 - $3,500 range. These were usually 8-10 year old smaller cars. I even had a few prices given by salesmen (not sexist since I never did have any contact with a sales lady).

One private seller had a car he wanted $4,500 for even though the book value was around $3,000. It sat there unsold for more than a month but within a week of CARS it was sold.

A couple of the cars I looked at were still around in the past week. Well these same cars that were ~$3200 then are now being priced by the salesmen at $4500 and up. These are NOT cars that would qualify as the "Clunkers" that they are offering a bribe to owners to get rid of. These are small, higher rated MPG cars like Cavaliers, Civics, etc.

Yesterday I had one that the brakes were obviously shot (pedal travel almost to the floor and then it was slow to stop, hard pulsing on the pedal [warped rotors and/or drums], burning smell when brakes applied), windshield cracked and rock pocked, air conditioning anemic at best, radiator fan always on, high engine temp guage reading, and a few other minor problems. They wanted $5,000 for it as is. This was from a high volume dealership. Obviously I said no.

It seems that by putting a basic floor of $4,500 on a large part of the used car market, the government plan has removed them from the market and caused all the remaining cars to escalate up to 50% higher than their previous quoted selling price.

Yea, this "Great Giveaway Government" (GGG) we have now is really out to "help" the working middle class. That is "Help" them into destitution! They are doing it by raising the prices on most everything you have to buy just to be able to continue being employed. Maybe if I got myself fired I might be able to get a grant to cover half the cost of a car I might want to buy. Think my plan might work??? (That's obviously a sarcastic comment.)
  2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The biggest un-intended consequence I see is the many perfectly nice vehicles that would be natural purchases for people without means being destroyed. So much for how much the left cares about poor folk. All this is going to do is make used cars cost more.
  3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Sarcastic yes, un realistic, not so sure. The middle class is shrinking fast.

I lived in Pa. in the early 70s and the vehicle inspection program then wouldnt allow vehicles to pass with such problems, especially from a dealer.

Some decent cars here (Central Ohio) being traded for CFC.

One example was a lady that traded a Lincoln Town car for a Toyota Yaris.

A Camry, Avalon maybe but a Yaris???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.