1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clueless about POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chastaj, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chastaj

chastaj Member

I am clueless about POI. I got a new Unsingle. I understand that at 13 yrds I want it to shoot 2-3 inch high, but what does this 60/40, 80/20, 90/10 mean? Sorry to sound stupid but I like like the shot to go where I aim not low or high, so what do I need to do.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It has a specific meaning that almost no one understands correctly. You are much more accurate, and understandable, by saying 3" high @ 13 yards.

3. setter

setter Member

Several threads on POI, here's one.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If person says there gun shoots 60/40, 80/20, whatever in these terms they most likely haven't patterened it or don't understand what they have patterned...

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The fraction 60/40 is intended to indicate that 60% of the shot are above the POI and 40% is below.

We are actually trying to quantitate something that can't be measured with much accuracy. We would probably be more accurate using terms like flat, high, higher, and very high.

Many shooters believe that their gun shoots 70/30, but if they shot 10 patterns, none of them would have 70% of the shot above the POI even if they could precisely determine the exact POI.

Pat Ireland

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

All kidding aside. I think that the experts on this topic should come up with a expaination of POI, POA, and how to determine them. Then it should be a permanent thread listed at the top. These findings are very important to our game. Dave T.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

DTrykow, click on the link setter provided, then click on the link on that thread to take you to my response to I.Hartman.

Boiling it down to the basic steps:

1. make sure your hardware is up to snuff. That includes choke tubes, barrels, regulation, etc. That gets you started with a gun that shoots straight.

2. determine what adjustments you need to make while actually shooting targets.

3. after you have made the adjustments on the line, return to the pattern board and determine your actual POI, for the record.

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have to disagree pheasantmaster. I have patterned my guns regularly and am quite comfortable with inches high or a percentage whichever does not elicit a blank stare from the person asking the question.

--- Chip King ---

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I believe very few guns have a 30 inch kill pattern at 35-40 yards. My light full hass about a 22-24. This is the size of the pattern that is sufficiently dense to break any target it hits. As such, my POI is about 12 inchs high at 35 or as I consider 100%.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

No gun throws a sure kill 30" diameter pattern at any distance with ATA legal loads. Simply cannot be done. The 30" pattern and 40 yards were established ages ago by the Brits, who felt compelled to come up with a standard for everything. As with most trap shooting folklore it is of limited usefulness, and none at all if you do not understand the underlying logic.

11. chastaj

chastaj Member

Thank you all, It makes more sense now. I use to shoot with dad and he always claimed I shot a flat gun better. I now see what he was meaning. So on an unsingle barrel I need the maximum distance between the rib and barrel as adjustments will allow?

Jared Chastain

12. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

you guys are great, Iasked the same thing a couple of days ago and copyed it now more. I have many hours of reading. yes and rereading thanks ed

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Change the first two POI to POA(point of aim) and you will be correct. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.