1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clubs that use lawry targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by msmith, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

Our club is thinking about switching to Lawry targets from White Flyer. We will save over $7000 a year. Has your club switched and what was your results (are the shooters happy). Thanks, Mike

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Does your club throw registered shoots. If so people who travel for registered shoots will not be happy. Silver Dollar thought about changing & after sufficient criticism they decided to stick with White Flyers. Lawrys are ok for skeet & non registered practice, etc. That is my opinion.

Phil Berkowitz

3. Jim Lambert

Jim Lambert Member

4. rayfoss

rayfoss TS Member

Our club uses Lawry targets.We shoot year around and it seems like we get a lot of dusters (lost bird) when the temp is below 30 degrees.We are in the UP of Michigan.My average drops down during winter.A temp of 30 is a heat wave up here for us.I would say Phil has the right idea about Lawry targets.They are less costly,but sometimes their tough to break.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

My very limited experience with Lawry targets has not been favorable. I do believe that many shooters would not notice any difference, but a few might.

Pat Ireland

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Purchase a pallet and see how it goes....

Walk the fields and count the pellet holes on unbroken targets. If no difference in what your shooting now....

I shot practice at a club in January throwing Lawry targets off Pat Traps and not one no bird call.

Last week I shot practice at a club shooting Bio White Flyers (ProMatic Trap) and you could see the dust flying. Again, not one no bird call.

Shot the same score at both clubs.

Most shooters would not notice the difference, but they may notice they are shooting the Bio White Flyer target as they do tend to dust up more than most targets on the market.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Mike, For your club to save $7000 a year, you must throw an awful lot of targets. I believe the Lawrys are made in Canada, while the WF are US. Most of the clubs in this area prefer White Flyer instead of Lawry, especially in their Pat Traps. A shooter may not notice what brand of target he is shooting, but someone will tell him. Larry

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

We have been throwing Lawrey's for a few years, now. No problems to mention and they have treated us well. Had a question about weight variation at one time,so one of our members took it upon himself to check. He weighed each and every target in four cases of Lawreys and four cases of White Flyers...Found more variation in each case of White Flyers then in all four cases of Lawreys. You hit 'em, they break! When the snow melts, I'll look for "lost targets w/ holes" I feel sure they won't be excessive. And the savings lets us shoot for $2.50/round practice and we do shoot registered as well in N. W. Pennsylvania though usually not too many this time of year. It was five below yesterday and we shot all afternoon.

Big Jack

9. AACT

AACT TS Member

Load your trap with White Flyers and leave Lawry target boxes in view and watch the same people bitch when they miss one.

Good target, good company, good people. We get a 2% discount in product for COD. Last load, 157 cases for free. It has enabled us to hold our target prices.

10. Target13

Target13 Active Member

To Mike aka "msmith" - saw your posting about the pricing of the targets. Drop me an email or call me @ 800-322-7855 and let me know where you are located- the White Flyer Distributor you currently purchase from etc. Your quote of $7,000 difference seems a bit excessive. Nevertheless, let me know the info so if necessary, we can have you contact another distributor. What amount of targets do you annually use ?? Let's discuss .... might be able to help. That goes for any of you out there - if you are not happy with service or you feel you are paying too much, don't hesitate .... let me know.

Phil Murray
    White Flyer Targets

11. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I shoot at Big Jack's club when I can, and I personally haven't had any problems with Lawrys. They always seem to smokeball real nice for me. I have seen quite a few other shooters dust targets there though. I don't know if that's occuring any more or less frequently than if they were shooting White Flyer Bios.

~Michael

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil- I may be wrong, but it seems that the White Flyer targets are getting a bit smaller. At least they look small when I am shoot them.

Pat Ireland

13. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Our club throws Lawry targets year round, from temps ranging from 95 f. to minus 30 f.. I personally use 8 1/2 for 16 yd. shooting, and I do so all year round.A Lawry target will turn to dust if I center it just like any other brand that I've shot.

We use Pat Traps at our club, and never had a problem with the Lawry target.

14. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I agree with the previous post from Two Dogs. I belong to 2 clubs that throw Lawry targets exclusively for both skeet and trap. We've mixed White Flyers and Lawrys together and no one could tell the difference. It's too easy to blame the target. If your machines are maintained, you should get little, if any, breakage using the Lawry targets.

15. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I shoot at the Silver Dollar 4-5 times a week. My observation during the trailer load of Lawry's recently thrown at that club was that there was between 15-20% breakage off the arm of the Pat Traps in use there. Normally I see 1-2 broken White Flyers per round of 125 targets. I also heard lots of grumbling from the long yardage shooters about the targets not breaking when hit. I personally observed several targets take a 3 -4 foot flight correction when hit and never saw a chip. Also, we did pick up several Lawry's with 8-12 holes that were still whole. These are my observations only and may be different from others at the Silver Dollar but I must say I did not here anyone say the targets were hard to break from 16 yards. JRM

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I really don't care what brand of targets & color are used as long as the shooter who is traveling a long distance to shoot is informed. Thanksgiving 2008 I was visiting relatives in southern California & went shooting at a range 100 miles north. It was the first time I had shot at lime green targets. My lenses were useless. Just let the out of town shooters know what you are shooting. Then the choice is theirs. Personally if I drove 1000 miles and had to shoot at green Lawry's I would be the same color as the targets ,P----d. All clubs should throw what is thrown at their state shoots.

Phil Berkowitz

17. msmith

msmith Member

Mr Murray, I was quoted $7.95 delivered for a full load and $8.05 for a 1/2 load by Rick Lawry. 2% free targets on next load if paid C.O.D. delivered to 14120. What can you do! please beat this price from Lawry. I called your office & you were not there. I left my name & number. Please tell me you can beat this deal. Our club uses 4-5 loads a year. Mike

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Mike, by your zipcode it looks like you are in Buffalo,NY--a lot closer to Ontario where Lawry's are made. That could be the cost factor. I really don't care what target is thrown as long as the customer, ME, is informed then the choice is mine. Just imagine if the ATA decided to throw Lawry's at the grand.

Phil Berkowitz

19. Orange Dome

Orange Dome TS Member

It is interesting to read these post-In response to Phil Berkowitz, Phil we don't sell targets into California so I don't know what you shot it must have been white flyer. alot of the complaints that I hear are unfounded and if you are having problems with any of our targets give me a call and I will handle it personally.Lawry's has a very indepth quality control but the one thing we can not monitor or control is a person superstition or inability to change. we have had clubs that use our targets and swear by them, and I visit clubs that have members that complain about everything and vent their personal agenda againest the targets-Phil

John Caffey
    Lawry Shooting Sports
    704-895-3243

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The targets in California were White Flyers, I really don't care what is thrown as long as a description of the targets is enclosed in the shoot announcements. I am the customer & I would like to be informed as much as possible as to what my choices are. The customers raised a stink when Silver Dollar said they would be going to Lawry targets. Real or unfounded , we the shooters need all the confidence in any and all aspects of our game.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lawrey targets

lawry targets