1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clubs pricing people out of the sport

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by srdshooting, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srdshooting

srdshooting TS Member

I have a fear with clubs wanting to charge more and more for shooting that the shotgun sports are soon to fail. With alot of clubs going to member only and charging extremely high fees inorder to even join there won't be alot of new shooters coming into the sport. One of the big reasons I have heard for the high fees is to keep the undesireables or Riff Raff out of the club. Why is someone undesireable if they don't make a ton of cash or have a bunch of extra cash laying around yet someone is desireable if they do. Turning shooting in to an elitest only sport won't help the game expand and with no new people coming in soon to fail. I know I moved to take a job right out of college which was a pretty decent job right out of college and the pay was pretty decent. Asked around for the local skeet/trap club and contacted them and asked what was involved in shooting etc, got told by a pretty rude individual that we dont take "people off the street" and if you want to shoot its 1200 a year with like a 1500 buck iniation fee. That is to even have the ability to go to the club to pay 7 bucks I believe to shoot a round of skeet. I believe my money will have to go elsewhere an the shotgun is going to have to sit in the closet at those prices. While shooting isn't a cheap sport it seems like alot of these clubs are trying to put an end to shooting. I know with 2750 the first year and 100 a month after that It prices alot of people out of the game and that is 100 bucks a month without even pulling the trigger on a gun one time. I know out of college with loans bills etc a couple rounds a week for shooting wouldn't be bad entertainment but when you add up almost 25 week membership, 7 bucks a round that comes to almost 40 bucks or 20 bucks per round to shoot a round that lasts maby 20 min and that is whitout any ammo included.Is anyone else starting to see this trend happening?

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Listen friend, I don't know where you live but I suspect that you have found the exception to the rule. One club I belong to is 55 bucks per year and another is 25 dollars per year. The places you speak of sound like social clubs that can afford to have such an arrogent attitude. Shooting is not cheap and it has never been the sport for people on a tight budget and that's the simple truth friend. Even if the club membership is free it's still going to cost you near 10 dollars a round with cheap shells and cheap targets anymore. We shoot for 2:50 per round at one of the places I shoot and the cheapest shells you will buy factory loaded are nearing 5:00 per box so that's 7.50 per round on the very cheap. 3 rounds twice per week is 45 bucks x 4 weeks and you are loking at a 200 dollar per month habit on the cheap. That doesn't include food, snacks, gas or registered shooting. It's not for people on a tight budget and that is just a fact of life when it comes to the sport. Good luck finding a club that will serve your needs. I suspect if you look you will find a club that will. Jeff

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are looking to shoot in a very pricey neighborhood. Most clubs charge $25 to $50 in annual dues and $3 to $5 per round. I don't know of any exclusive clubs that turn away members either, too bad that you are running in to that. Usually the clubs are looking for more shooters and the fees they charge don't go much beyond what is necessary to cover operating expenses.

In general the dollar cost of everything continues to escalate and if you want to play you gotta pay. The shooting sports are no exception. Look at it this way, if there is another recreational activity that you enjoy as much as shooting and you can do it at a lower cost then maybee that is what you should do. Kind of rules out all the good stuff like golf or dirt bikes or water skiing or .....

4. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

None of the clubs I shoot at have a mandatory member fee. Rounds average $3.50 to $4.50. Note that there are clubs near me that charge anywhere from $50 a year two $1250 a year. I don't shoot there. I suggest you contact local sporting goods stores or look up other clubs on the internet in your area. Call them. If they are rude or expensive keep looking. They are out there. This is not a poor mans sport but at those prices you quoted, I would never have started. Best of luck. Let us know what area you are in. I'm sure someone here can help you. And no, in Minnesota, most clubs are doing all they can to keep shooting prices down. Are there some elitist clubs? sure. But again, I've only been to them once. I go to the others alot. Always vote with your wallet is what I say. To each their own.

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

My initial thoughts are that this is not even a nice cast, just some bait plunked down in the pond. I'm answering anyway. Most clubs, except very exclusive one's, trap is a public event. Our's (trapshooting events/practice) are. $3.50 a round. Find those clubs, they're out there.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

The two clubs I belong to are $25.00 and $35.00 per year.No you don't have to join to shoot.A round is $3.00.
    We have a duck hunting club not far from where I hunt that is $10,000 to get in plus $3500.00 a year dues and some years $2000.00 for assessments.
    You pay so much a month to dine there,even if you don't go there to eat.

The duck hunting club I belong to is $200.00 per year.
    But, you have to be voted in.

Shop around and you will find a club that is much cheaper and geared to the working man.

Bo

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Just move.

HM

8. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

The club i shoot at just raised its Yearly dues from $48/year to $100 a year ,i have had a $0.40 pay raise in the last ten years.I could understand a $10,or $15 increase but more trhan double is rediculous.I belive they think at that price even if they lose 50% membership(which they wont) they will still be ahead.as if the cost of trasnportation,and componentes arnt hugh enough.
    They just bugeted me OUT!

9. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Try Claytargetsonline.com/ for more clubs in your area.

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    if what you say is true, and i don't have any reason not to believe you, if i was treated like that at the club you were at, i would not like to shoot there, regardless what the membership or the price is. around 20 years ago, a friend of mine and i were talking out at the gun club. a gentleman came in with a white shirt and a western type tie, & a beautiful shooting vest etc. a well known multi-millionaire at the club, saw this man walk in and said to us, now that's the type of member we want at this club. we should raise the membership and rates to get rid of the rift raf like you two. i have always been in banking, and the back bone of every bank is not the rich multi- millionaire, but the average factory worker who deposits $20.00 per week and cashes his payroll check. the back bone of any gun club is the league shooter. i have shot with the rich and the average income person. there are jerks in both. years ago vic reinders always wanted to keep the cost of shooting down. the question is, would you rather have a club with 100 members or 5 or 6? on a previous thread i asked if anyone new if there were any knowledge of using any other material instead of lead on the horizon, that would be cheaper? as of a few minutes ago, not one person could respond. we are headed towards the 2 class system, the rich and the poor. we need to find ways to lower the cost of shooting, supplies, etc. or this sport is headed the way it is in europe.
    steve balistreri

11. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

The price of shooting is certainly going up and the clubs are facing a huge increase in costs to just open the doors. Unless its on leased (cheaply) land, the taxes, utilities, cost of targets and machines and labor (the BIG cost) is making things rise quickly. If you are skeptical, get on the Club's Board of Directors and you will get a much better idea on what they are facing. I believe everyone is trying to keep the cost of shooting down but you still have to make enough to open the doors.

Eric

12. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I agree. I think many clubs have increased the price of targets and membership much higher than their costs would justify. Target price in the box in the last 5 years has gone up about a penny a target. Most clubs don't pay much more that minimum wage or McDonald’s wages, which ever is higher for their help. That hasn't gone up over one dollar an hour in the past 5 years. Many clubs have increased the price of registered targets by 5 dollars a hundred or more. The cost of targets justifies an increase of one dollar, the price of labor justifies an increase of 20 cents a hundred. What the heck is the justification for the other $3.80?

In many cases the loss in participation has decreased their income even with the undue increase in prices. To compensate for the loss they increase the price and participation goes down even more. That is known as really bad management. I am not saying your club or my club is guilty but many are. If the shoe fits throw it at a cat.

jim brown

13. spritc

spritc Active Member

Brownsburg Conservation Club's (IN) annual dues are $50 and our trap fees are still $3.50 per round. We're doing everything we can to hold down costs to our shooters.

Steve

14. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

And there's always Tennis! But thats expensive to if you want to hob-nob with the upper snobs!

15. verypoor

verypoor Member

with the .50 cent increase on a case of targets,our b.o.d. voted to increase the price to 3.00 a round,no membership required.ruffsdale gun club

16. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Perhaps target prices and labor are somewhat different depending on where you are. Washington State has one of the highest minimum wages ($8.07/hr) and its not getting better. By the time you add in unemployment, federal taxes, etc. its over $10.00/hr. Target prices have increased a 1/2 cent in just the last 18 months. I wish it was only one cent over the last 5 years.

Eric

17. jim brown

Eric,

How much has your labor and traget costs gone up in the last 5 years?

jim brown

18. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Eric, you're just scratching the surface. Unfortunately spot on.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

19. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Not jumping for the original post and the purported fees. Many years ago I shot at a private range out in the pine barrens north of Westhampton Beach. That was very pricey but they had a hogans alley.

But to price increases, it seems to me that folks are forgetting about lots of other increases that COULD have an impact on target prices for practice and shooter fees for registered events. Among them are: increased cashier costs, tax increases, utility increses, increased insurance costs (liability Insurance and Workers Comp), Increases in the cost of maintenance machinery (mowers etc), purchase and maintenance costs for the new machines (trap and voice calls). Lots and lots of things have gone up significantly. Not fair to judge without an entire story

20. jim brown

I still haven't seen anybody give any facts that costs have increased enough to justify the increases charged by some of the clubs. Just general talk about high prices but no real facts that show what the increases were. If you have facts let's hear them.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.