1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Club limits kids pratice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The guy who helps me coach the 4-h team here joined the closest local club so he could let his 2 boys have some extra trap practice..The club is 30 miles away in Columbia Tn.. He pulls up one Sunday, takes the furtherest field away from everyone,(they have 5-6 fields) and the kids start shooting, they brought one of their fellow team mates with them. The dad stands back, keeps score and everything is dandy.. Until one of the head honchos walks by and see the dad keeping score, you would have thought they were cutting doughnuts on the practice field.. NO TRAP PRACTICE ALLOWED ON SUNDAYS... he was told.. I can imagine the thoughts that went through the dads head.. As it turns out.. some of the school trap teams from the area used to come on Sunday and let the kids practice.. the old fogey stogeys that the rule the club didnt like all the kids being there and in the club house during their prescious sunday bullshit sessions.. So they made a new rule to keep them away..Now when the guy takes his kids back to shoot he has to keep count of the misses on his fingers..

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As a member, he's entitled to read the club policy language, to see if there is a difference between a member and his kids shooting and non-members shooting... Since he's not getting what he expected, making a small stink can't hurt him much!

regards all,

jay

3. high 2

high 2 Member

And we wonder why the numbers are dropping. I`ve seen a lot of media attention lately on head injuries on football players, maybe we need to look at some of us older shooters to see if the recoil we have been exposed to is to blame for some of the strange ways things come about. Kids can be a pain, but all of us were at one time. A long time ago in my case. This is the area that WE all need to work on. If we don`t keep the young ones coming we are slowly bleeding out. Kind of like a gut shot deer. Slow and painful death. Larry

4. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

If this club in Columbia TN is an ATA registered club, or has any affiliation with the Skeet Shooting Assoc, Sporting Clay, the NRA or any of our sport's Associations, or their TN State sportsman's associations, an appropriate member of those associations should be contacted to immediately place a phone call(s)to the President of the Club, or an officer of the club.

The phone call should be to get their opinion & clarify the reasons for this policy of exclusion, and advise them to allow and ENCOURAGE younger shooters and their practices.

If the club resists, the Association should write them a letter suggesting a change in policy, for all the obvious reasons.

If that doesn't work, the club should be dismissed in writing from any affiliation with the ATA, NRA, or Association etc. until the situation is corrected.

If it is a public (type) facility, or private but practicing disrimination, they should be careful to not lose their Not for Profit tax status. Or, have the IRS come by to look around the books.

There are three sides to each situation. First, you have to identify the cause for the "policy" if is is in fact a club policy of just a few disgruntled individuals.

Perhaps something can be worked out to everybody's satisfaction so the kids, parents, and club are all happy. I am having a hard time imagining how any club would turn away young shooters with parental support, not to mention the current revenue, and future revenue.

Seems like a 'fail your to commun cate', Struthor. If true, those guys in Columbia should spend a night in the box.

I hope the kids and parents eventully find a club that appreciates their patronage and makes them feel welcomed.

JS

5. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

we old farts should not be cussin' the kids, we should be joining them! Few things in life are as much fun as working with new shooters and kids are just more fun to work with. These new shooters could be learning from the old Masters...the Master's could re-distribute their wealth of knowledge and I think, the sport gets better. The Club makes more money, funding improvements, everybody has more fun, everybody wins.

At our club we have a small hard core group of trap shooters and they show up and watch the youth practice. With their trained eyes, they can spot small flaws in form and technique from afar that the coach sometimes does not spot because he's watching the whole line, the targets, the shot....these old guys have quietly become the real in depth trap coaches. I'm impressed by their knowledge and the soft way they offer suggestions to the kids...."have you ever tried, what if you do this, sometimes it helps to"...they are very gentle with these kids and the kids seem to want to please them! It's a neat thing.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There may be more to the story than we are hearing in this discussion. Usually when a club shuts the range down for practice shooting it is because some other event is scheduled. (a registered shoot)

Most clubs want to sell as many targets as possible so this story doesn't seem to add up. What are we missing?

7. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

I'm a little confused. What does keeping score have to do with anything. Are you saying that the kids can shoot but they can not keep score on paper? I must be misunderstanding something.

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

There was no registered shoot going on, I do know that..
    According to the dad.. which is my coaching partner.. when he was seen keeping score on the sheet of paper that somehow meant he was holding a team practice.. 3 kids were there.. all 3 were on the same team..(in a neighboring county) and that violiated the "no team practice on Sunday rule.."
    The club had already implimented the "no team practice rule" some months before and my partner had no idea such a thing existed.. I do realize you should read all the fine print when you do anything but come on.. who would have ever thunk it??

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

We had 1 sctp scrimmage there last year and I dont think they liked us being there then.. One of the other members told me a few days ago that he and another member (who is retired and has grandkids that shoot) was trying to talk them into letting us come back this spring and have another.. I'm almost to the point of marking this club off my list of places to go..

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is the name of the club- the obvious question

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Maury County Gun Club..

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

blkcloud: Have you personally bothered to contact the club and find out the real truth or have you just come on here to raise hell?? You don't blast a club in public until you have the real facts.

Don

Mr. Smith, the ATA and other orgainizations don't tell clubs how to run their daily business so please dismount your horse.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Henry Horton is on the other side of the Interstate from Maury Co. There is no drama there. They will welcome your kids, but you will need a good puller on the button. Join the club and shoot for $3 a round. Picking up the field after shooting will keep you on the Manager's Favorites list. :^)

Having shot at Maury Co for many years, I cannot understand their logic. Several folks will write this club off.

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET AND POCKETBOOK. Ask for your membership dues back. Robert McKay is the Club President.

Let us know what Robert says.

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

the real truth..?? I'm not sure what kind of people you associate with but the ones I do tend not to lie to me or anyone else that I know of.. liars and theives are in the same book with me and I dont hang around with either..
    When he told me what happend I didnt have to call anyone or anyplace.. But another of the members did happen to tell me the exact same thing..

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Coach.. I feel like I have been whacked in the forehead.. dont ask me why I have never thought to go shoot there..?? excellent idea..
    We just drove 80 miles to a club in Russelville Al. to shoot because we didnt want to go to the Muary gun club.. I must have had a mental block..Heny Horton is it.. thanks again..

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear blkcloud.

Call them to see when they open and tell Ricky Shooting Coach said hi.

17. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

blkcloud,

If you need a hand down at Horton, just ask Shooting Coach (John) he'll work for food..lol

I've been telling him about the buffet down there at the hotel for 2 years, but he hasn't made it. It's an old fashion southern spread at an old fashion price, but you can hurt yourself. I personally love the catfish, but the chicken is great.

A few miles more up the highway and you'll find a rib place that isn't too bad either.

I thought there were 2 or 3 teams already practicing at Horton, but Ricky can tell you when to schedule your practice.

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Check out their website. Looks like they just love kids. "?"

19. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Seems the only reason to prohibit team practice would be to maintain open shooting on a particular day, meaning all comers are welcome to shoot. Seek clarification from the Club Board of Directors. If there actions are discriminatory then let your entire shooting community know. Bet ya discrimination against youth shooters will twist a lot of tails. Please don't let the matter go unaddressed regardless of where you elect to shoot in the future. We have a tough enough time bringing new blood into our sport.

Robert

20. Single Shooter

Single Shooter TS Member

I understand that every old guy and his group of friends like to bullshit at the range in the morning but thats no reason to keep kids away from the club. its not just hurting the kids by not getting to keep there scores and shoot but you would think a gun club would want lots of people to come out and shoot not only because its a great sport but because of business. there not going to make money by kicking kids out. Especially on a sunday weekend where kids dont have to worry about school. if i owned a shooting club, i would want EVERYONE to come out and join the sport...as long as their safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.