1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Club Leagues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Michael Jobe, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Where I live at I'm fortunate to have multiple clubs within a 50 minute drive that I can shoot trap at. But, all the clubs that have been shooting this winter have also had leagues going on (and most will in the summer too). So, when you just want to get out there and get some practice in, you're stuck shooting whatever the league is, you waste time sitting around waiting for score keepers (while fields sit open and unused), and if you're shooting the league you're paying extra (in some cases double or more) for targets. Went to a club yesterday planning on shooting 150 targets, but they had a league going on. If I hadn't talked them into letting me shoot by myself when a field opened up I'd have only been able to shoot 50 targets. Wound up getting in 100 targets in just over two hours. Throw in travel time and good portion of the day was shot. Had a similiar experience at another club a couple weeks ago. I've been shooting that league the past few months and wanted to get my last 100 targets in and get it over with. Took over two hours (and not because they were that busy). I left pissed, deciding that was the last time I was shooting that league.

I'm sure some will think I sound selfish, and maybe I am. But I think it would be to a club's benefit to move and many shooters through as quick as possible, and make it as easy as possible for them to shoot as much as they want. When a guy goes home with half the shells in intended to shoot, that's lost income for the club.

~Michael

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You are right ON.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Crap on a cracker! Some people bitch that the interest in Trap Shooting is dying and others bitch cause the clubs are to crowded.

I think most people just like to bitch. It seems to be the universal hobby and not confined to shooters.

BTW, prior planning makes life a lot easier. Phone ahead.

HBT

4. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Um, if there's only two fields and things are moving so slow that I and another guy have time to use one of the fields between squads, they aren't busy.

The guy that invited my friend and I to come shoot at that club yesterday didn't tell us there was a league going on.

I've watched participation at clubs drop off during the four years I've been shooting, and I think part of it is because of the leagues. They lock shooters into a set program and they take longer than "let's go shoot".

I know that, in part, I'm leaving the club I've been shooting at the last four summers because they're locked into 50 singles every week, and if you want to shoot handicap you sneak it in when you can, and you can pretty much forget about doubles. There's not room for growth.

~Michael

5. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Slick,

You may have a point if Leagues are shot on weekends or days that would otherwise be used for intense member practice. I belong to two clubs. The one that has leagues holds them on days that the club is normally closed , Monday and Tuesday.

These Leagues are open to non-members as well. The League shooting doesn't impact the members who don't shoot League and provides a chance to get new members from those who got involved in the League shooting in the first place.

Their League shooting enticed me to join the second club.

HBT

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Our leagus run on weekday nights, just like the local bowling or pool leagues, and we have open shooting before and after since the league is on a rigid time schedule. Your team shoots at the assigned time with a 5 minute grace period.

Weekends are reserved for open shooting unless there is an event, and even then sometimes there is an extra field or 2 available.

Might want to consider adding fields.

HM

7. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Slick 13. I agree with you. I like to practice myself in order to check loads work on a problem area ect.. I usally find a club director and ask him for a trap to practice on. They usually are very obliging especially if you will maintain the trap and not expect hired help. Post-2

8. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

The Clubs I shoot at allow practice to be shot along with league shooters during in-house leagues. At about 15 minutes per round 1 or 2 shooters on a squad shooting practice does not take long. If it is a 50 bird league they are told they must shoot 50 rounds, not 25 and leave the next 25 short a person. Leagues with more than one club shooting usually don't allow practice until all league shooteres are done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.