1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Club Internal Politics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mixer, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Let's say one of the officers of your club hands in a written resignation of their position to the board and a couple of weeks later says "I made a hasty choice and I'm taking back the office I resigned from". What's would the procedure be at your club?

Eric

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

What do the by-laws state about vacant positions? Ron

3. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

He would be long gone no reconsidering such a decision. Leave.

Berettaman7

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

What would it be? Hard to say. Since so few people want anything to do with being on the board I suspect they would welcome the little lost sheep back into the fold. Ha ha. Jeff

5. Larry/Oh

Larry/Oh TS Member

Our President can fill vacant positions before voting time, by our by-laws. It's his choice, but the board has alternative moves also.

6. chuckles

chuckles Member

At my club 1/2 the people would die laughing and the other 1/2 would go back to their bar stool...confused.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, was the tendered resignation accepted? How such a situation would be handled would be different at different clubs and probably different by different boards of the same club.

Eric- I hope you have a strong President who can work with people and keep the welfare of the club paramount over any personal feelings.

Pat Ireland

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Chuckles has it right!!

9. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

mixer,

I've been in this situation and others like it before. The fact that you're even asking the question leads me to infer that there is some strain in the situation.

I would not allow the former officer to re-take the office without bringing it to the entire board first, even if you have to call a special meeting. While I agree with Pat that, if the board had not already accepted the resignation, the officer may think he is able to rescind his hasty move, I also believe that the tendering of the resignation implies intent and should be respected. If he changes his mind, he can bring his reasonings to the next board meeting and it can be discussed and voted upon by all board members whether reinstatement is appropriate.

Good luck. I don't envy your situation if it's an explosive one.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Here's what Robert's Rules of Order has to say:

"Question 18:
    Is it possible to withdraw a resignation after it has been submitted?

Answer:
    A resignation is a Request to Be Excused from a Duty. It may be withdrawn in the same manner as any motion may be withdrawn - that is to say, before the proposed resignation has been placed before the assembly by the chair stating the question on its acceptance, it may be withdrawn without the consent of the assembly, but it may not be withdrawn without permission of the assembly once it has been placed before the assembly for its approval. [RONR (10th ed.), p. 277-80; 283-85.]"

Neil

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would check with Brett Favre before doing anything hasty.

HM

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Resignations and acceptances are usually included in the club's by-laws.

Does anyone actually believe most officers in organizations can read, understand or desire to comply with Robert's Rules!!

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Can he fix traps? Is this Quantico?

14. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Whenever welcoming a new board member onto my board, I always gift them with a copy of Robert's Rules, as well as a one page 'cheat sheet' I created with the basics on it. Looks like I should have referred to it myself before giving an opinion (although I don't have anything on there regarding resignation of position!). Thanks, Neil, for the clarity.

That being said, I think your issue is deeper that following the rules alone. I am curious--was the resignation accepted by the board? I have mixed feelings about board members who threaten to resign or tender resignation and then pull it back. If they do it once I'm very concerned about the individual and try to resolve any issues; if they do it twice I become very concerned for the organization and move to protect it at all costs. Politics are best served with total honesty and clear vision of the goal, but how often does that really happen?

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The "tender" is an "offer". Until an offer is accepted, it may be withdrawn.

regards all,

Jay

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

To all who commented. The resignations (yes that's plural, there were 3 written resignations handed in)were accepted and new officers were appointed to fill the terms until the next election in January 2010.

Eric

17. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Then it's clear--the resignations stand, the appointments are valid, and it looks like you'll have a heck of an election come January!

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Your last post answered the question... they offered, their offer was accepted, and binding. Netx order of business... ?!

regards all,

Jay

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

CalamitySJ,

As you know the hard part is getting people to run for office. Everyone critcizes, complains, etc but no one is willing to step up and be part of the solution.

Eric

20. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Robert's Rule of Order IV 27

(e) To be Excused from a Duty. If a member is elected to office, or appointed on a committee, or has any other duty placed on him, and he is unable or unwilling to perform the duty, if present he should decline it immediately, and if absent he should, upon learning of the fact, at once notify the secretary or president orally or in writing that he cannot accept the duty. In most organizations members cannot be compelled to accept office or perform any duties not required by the by-laws, and therefore they have the right to decline office. But if a member does not immediately decline, by his silence he accepts the office, and is under obligation to perform the duty until there has been a reasonable opportunity for his resignation to be accepted. >>>

The secretary, for instance, cannot relieve himself from the responsibility of his office by resigning. His responsibility as secretary does not cease until his resignation is accepted, or, at least, until there has been a reasonable time for its acceptance. <<<<<

It is seldom good policy to decline to accept a resignation. As a member has no right to continue to hold an office the duties of which he cannot or will not perform, so a society has no right to force an office on an unwilling member. When a member declines an office, no motion is necessary, unless the by-laws of the society make the performance of such duties obligatory upon members. If the member is present at the election, the vacancy is filled as if no one had been elected. If the member was not present at the election, when the chair announces his refusal to take the office, as it is a question of privilege relating to the organization of the society, the election to fill the vacancy may take place at once unless notice is required, or other provision for filling vacancies is provided by the by-laws. In the case of a resignation, the chair may at once state the question on accepting it, or a motion to that effect may be made. In either case it is debatable and may have any subsidiary motion applied to it. It yields to privileged and incidental motions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.