1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Closing Your Gun Before Your Turn, OK?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Switchblade327, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

OK, I’ve quickly found the topic of ejecting hulls onto the ground has not changed since I’ve been away. I have a hunch I’ll find the same regarding this one. Is it OK to close your gun before it is your turn to shoot? cls

2. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Not recommended, though many shooters do it.

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

its done all the time,, just dont wave it around and its ok with me,, , i close whe the post two ahead breaks target,,, as in post one breaks,, i am on 3 and close as not to disturb post 2 shooting or delay the squad any longer than nessery

4. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

I follow the same procedure as 682LINY. I use a competition trap and it does make noise when it closes........ Larry

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

It's legal at ATA although frowned upon. It is not legal at Olympic Bunker.

Tom

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have found that ya have better results if ya close your gun before ya shoot. Still trying to figure out why tho.

GneJ

7. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I've seen "delaying the squad" mentioned many times on many different threads. I know that shoot officials are always trying to speed squads up. I also know that when there is a lot of shooters, especially at state shoots and shoots like the Grand, that the officials like to keep things moving.

My question is, is there a specific time limit on how long it takes to shoot a round with 5 squad members?

I understand there should be a certain "rythym" to a round but when a shoot official comes by and tells the squad to hurry up, you guys are holding up the next squad, all that does is make me want to slow down even more. It may or may not be my squads fault the trap is behind.

Whether I am shooting a registered shoot or a league, I am shooting to try to do my best. I am there to compete. I am there to try to outshoot my squad-mates and everyone else at that shoot.I am not in a race to see how quick I can get done, nor do I really care about the squad behind me. They may be my friends but I still want to outshoot them and if I take a little more time to get ready before I call a target then so what.That extra few seconds may mean the difference in me hitting or missing the next target..

8. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I remember at a recent shoot that a lady to my right would slam shut the bolt on her autoloader just as I was mounting my gun. I didn't say anything then, but next time I won't be so nice.

9. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

At the clubs where I shoot and score, closing your gun with a shell in it before it is your turn to shoot is verboten! If a shooter does that, a cease fire is called and the shooter is reminded of the rules. 2nd time, he is asked to leave.
    Don't care what you folks say, to me it is a safety issue.

If I am on post 3, I don't close my gun till after post 2 shoots. After the fifth shot, I don't even put a shell in my gun till I move to the next post.

ps: this goes for trap, skeet and five stand at the clubs where I shoot.

10. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

We teach our kids to close the gun when the person in front of him or her fires at their target. That way autoloaders don't accidentally throw a target, nor is it distracting to the shooter because he has already fired. Seems to work pretty well.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Why would you want to close your gun that early?????? It takes most automatic traps 2&1\2 to 3 seconds to reset, plus the fact that it is very inconsiderate to shoot before your squad mates target or pieces hit the ground. Would you like to have your target called lost because the next shooter shot before the scorekeeper had time to watch your target all the way????????? I have been a scorekeeper-puller (and shooter)for 45+ years and have seen quite a few targets break just a few feet off the ground. JMO Ross Puls

12. The Stive

The Stive Member

I close and mount my gun when the shooter before me shoots. Just me, that is the way I do it. John

13. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

My routine was to always reload and close my gun as quickly as possible. This of course without causing any distraction to my squadmates. Typically I would close my gun immediatly after the person following me fired theirs. This allowed me to stay focused on all targets thrown and be in a ready position when my turn came around again. But again, I see nothing has changed here. It has always been the case where those who register tens of thousands of targets each year will often (not always) be the ones who close up right away. Where the weekend recreation or league shooter will not. cls

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If your timing is right, only the nasty souls will complain. If you're going to do it, I suggest closing the gun immediately after the person two posts before you fires his gun. Then keep the gun down (not shouldered) and STILL.

-Gary

15. DJSims

DJSims Member

Redcobra - You obviously do not shoot registered ATA targets at the clubs you frequent.

ATA rules allow a closed gun when in the firing position, whether or not it is your turn. The firearm must be pointed down range.

A gun club must follow ATA rules if it is holding a registered shoot. If you were to interrupt my routine during a registered shoot, calling a 'cease fire', You would also be refunding all shooters their entry fees.

The ATA safety record of over 100 years of competition shooting without a fatality is still intact.

Doug Sims

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was shooting recently with someone on the squad I never shot with before. What he did put fear in my heart. When he was done on station 5 and I beleive he was the third shooter, he closed his action on a live shell.When the fifth shooter shot he walked behind everyone with a live round in the chamber. Everyone on the squad had a strange look on their faces but said nothing. When the round was over I went over to him and resolved that problem real quick. His excuse was that he was a newby. The next week I brought in a book on trapshooting etiquette and gave it to him. Mike.

17. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Many top shooters I have talked with say that squad rhythm is over rated. Why, because they say it is not a team sport, but each person is competing as an individual.

18. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

There really is no safety issue with a shooter a post or two to the right of the person currently shooting having a closed, loaded gun as long as it is pointed down range. Accidental discharge would cause no more harm than if the next shooter were to wait until the shooter to his left shot, closed the loaded gun, and then accidentally fired.

I've watched shooting squads who shoot together all the time. The shooter two posts to the right closes the gun when the shot is fired, holds the gun down, and mounts when the shooter to his left fires. Good rhythm, no safety issues.

Skeet doesn't compare, because there is only one shooter on the station at any one time.

Consider 5-stands. All five stations have guns loaded with two shells after the command to load is given. No safety issues there either, as long as guns are pointed down range.

Danny

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Most top dogs close before their turn. I close when the person before me closes.

Gun downrange, finger off the trigger.

20. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Just because the "top dogs" as you put them do it does NOT make it right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.