1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Closing the action

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I think this has been discussed before; but I can't find it when I do a search. When closing your over/under or single barrel, do you hold the top lever to the right, close the action and release the lever OR do you leave the lever alone and just close it? It seems to me that it is a much smoother process by holding the lever to the right, close the gun and release the lever. Just wondering if there would be any adverse effects by doing it either way. Thanks. Ed

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Leave the lever alone and close the gun. It was designed to do this. That way the spring pressure of the top lever seats the locking block consistently in the same spot (if you seat the locking block by hand, there's a very good chance it won't hit the same spot ever time, and will cause unnecessary wear on the gun). If the gun were designed to have the top lever held while closing, they wouldn't have made it so the top lever locks over when you open the gun.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Exactly!

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

+1 on exactly.

Many won't fully seat completely until the gun is fired if gently closed. Don't slam it, just close it...

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Some years back, at the Grand. I was in the Beretta booth and speaking with Beretta's Service Manager. He told me that I should hold the lever to the right when closing the gun. This would minimize the wear on the locking mechanism (ie: the pins that go into the barrel). Keith Sprangers at Kolar indicated that closing the gun that way was not a bad thing for the same reason. Bill Malcolm

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

.............., just close it.

John C. Saubak

7. skeet_man

I simply cannot understand how hand seating the top lever would reduce the wear. You have the exact same amt of metal to metal contact either way, the only thing you change is the speed at which the locking block engages.

Think of it this way. You take a block of steel, and put it on a sheet of sandpaper. Rub it back and forth 10x very fast. Then rub it back and forth 10x (w/ the same pressure) very slow. In the end, the amt of material removed (wear) is exactly the same... Same principle as handseating the locking block vs allowing the gun to work in the manner that it was designed to.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Why add another step to your setup? If you do it this way, what happens when your thumb slips off the lever - start over?

9. Beretta687EELL

With the Beretta, based on my discussion with the Service Manager, the "pins" are designed to wear faster than the face of the barrel. There are 4 sets of the "pins" and you get progressively larger in each set. Once you wear the largest out then you have to weld the holes in the barrel and drill them out to the small size and start over. I had to replace the set in my Beretta shortly after I bought it (used) with the # 2 set. I shot it a lot before going to the Kolar and the lever is still well to the right.

During one of my discussions with Keith at Kolar the subject came up and he agreed with the line of thinking with the Beretta guy. When I started shooting the Kolar, I did not hold the lever to the right. I recently started doing that after talking to Keith. My Kolar is in Racine with the new custom stock being fitted and a new top single barrel. They also did a service on the gun and have replaced the locking block. From now on, I will hold the lever to the right on the Kolar. Bill Malcolm

10. BigM-Perazzi

Congratulations, Giacomo told me, "just close it."

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I shoot a k 80 and I do not hold the lever while I close it nor do I slam it shut. I have watched a lot of people with there k 80 and only one of them hold the lever. I look at it this way, when the gun wears and needs service I will get it done. That is part of owning a gun that you shoot a lot.
    With that said the service people at Krieghoff international told me to just shut the gun. There is no need to hold the lever.

12. Beretta687EELL

It's your money, spend it as you wish. Bill Malcolm

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I emailed Krieghoff about an hour ago. Surprisingly I got a response from Mr. Elmar Bonn. Here was his reply:

It should not be a problem, just make sure that the lever is not too far to the right. In that case the hammer will hit the locking bolt first and push the lever over before striking the firing pin. That scenario could lead to misfires. Other than that you cannot really hurt the gun using the described method.

With best regards
    Elmar Bonn

14. BigM-Perazzi

I'll be sure and let you know when the Perazzi wears out.

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

As usual it is your gun. Do to it what ever makes you feel good. If it ruins it, don't do it anymore. Pretty simple.

As usual when you ask on this site you will get every possible answer and solution, and a argument will ensue.

You are better off doing your own phone calls to the "Experts" along with your own investigating, otherwise you may end up more unsure of your question then what you started. Just saying. Jon

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I agree with skeet_man on this subject. Holding the lever over will not let the gun lock up as tight as it would otherwise, which should probably result in accelerated wear. . Especially after an accumulation of grime over the course of a couple hundred shells fired.

17. skeet_man

Vern- The pressure is the same on the locking block whether you close it by hand or let the gun do the work. It takes the same amount of pressure to properly seat the locking block either way.

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I posted a thread on here some months ago asking for a vote on this question...it came out about 12 held the lever, 10 let it slam. Meanwhile, the statement above: "..Giacomo told me, "just close it" was just the opposite of what I was told in Giacomo's shop at the last Grand. True, Giacomo did not say it, but his technician - who was standing 3 feet from Giacomo did and Giacomo was listening. Also, in watching the Leo Harrison and Harlan Campbell clips on youtube neither held the lever over while closing...they let 'em slam shut, but I doubt if it costs them anything to have their guns maintained. So, I have decided to alternate every other station...confusing, eh? Best Regards...and flame away. Ed

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Just close the gun - this is how they are designed to be operated. If you are worried about wearing out locking mechanism parts then trap shooting is not the game for you.

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

this is the way an english gentleman closes a double gun. quite polite, wouldn't you say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.