1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Closing semi-auto releases target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

When I close the action on my 11-87 trap gun the noise it makes causes the voice activated trap release to throw a target. Anyone else have this problem? And if so any suggestions on how to stop this from happening? thanks, Dale

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Close the gun as the person to your left fires.

3. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Hold the gun farther away from it. With my Beretta 390, if i close the chamber in front of me it will throw a target. If i do it by my side or hold it partially up, no more problem. my 2 cents

4. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

I am surprised at how many times I see the machine throw a target when someone on the squad closes his o/u. Usually the same shooter each time. I try to keep mine away from the mic.

Charlie

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have shot an auto for doubles for years. I close my gun after the shooter in front of me shoots his first bird.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Right hand shooter: With left hand under the frame push the closure button with your left hand middle finger and hold the bolt with your right hand and ease it shut.

I usually close it when the 2nd shooter to my left fires. If I'm on post 4, I close it when post 2 shoots so it doesn't bother the guy next to me.

7. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Agree with skeetman, that is how I do it with my 870.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have that issue with my M2000. I changed the forend to better match my Bobby Emerick stock and therib rattles in the space not taken up by the forend. Those little stirps of wood are purposely fitted to eliiminate that. I Move the speaker to the far left of the proper position, turn it parallel to stationn walk/yard way and put it out of my mind. no more extra targets. And no delay is apparent either.

9. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

just flip the speaker over (facing the house) normally fixes it when shooting alone and as everyone has already said, when with others, close the gun when someone else shoots. Jack

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

No just close the gun when the shooter to the left of the shooter next to you calls for his target, this has been talked about a lot on this site.

Then there is no premature release of a target nwhen you close your gun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

When I shot my 303 I always timed snapping the action closed with another shooters gun firing as has been suggested. After a couple hundred targets it just works into your routine and you won't even have to think about it.

12. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If you are shooting by yourself, just shield the speaker with your body and hold the gun away a bit. This will usually be enough to keep from throwing extra targets. Mark

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Like the others have said release the bolt within 2 - 3 seconds after the previous shooter fires and the machine won't throw an unwanted target, it shouldn't bother the previous shooter as his shot is already downrange for better or worse. If you're leading off try hooking your thumb over the bolt handle while you push the release button with your finger and then ease the bolt closed so it doesn't slam shut so loud, make sure the bolt goes all the way into battery.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.