1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Closing eyes when I pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by griffonexpress, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. griffonexpress

griffonexpress TS Member

Is closing your eyes just as you pull the trigger a form of finch? I use to close my eyes once in a while, but now I do it quite often. I also seem to be jerking my head away from the stock almost at the same time. Any advise that might help?

Griffon

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You need more work on setting up for the shot. Read Lanny Basham.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What Barry said,, plus possibly get better hearing protection such as muffs! If it's recoil related, more weight added to the stock and shoot a lighter payload or at least less velocity? Your guns stock pitch may also be wrong for your build? Many possible causes and yes, thats a major type of flinch!! You kaint hit whut ya ain't seein!! Hap

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Lighter loads would help you a lot. I had a similar problem, so I lightened my loads and shot a little more and it eventually got to where I could watch every single bird turn into a smoke ball. I found trap even more fun when the gun doesn't recoil, but you hear a *pop* and the bird turns to dust. Hope this helps, Josh.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Lighter loads no question

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

YOu know, spend the money and go to a Kiner Clinic. He will address this issue after watching you and tell you what the problem is. I know what the problem is and so does Phil without watching you shoot. But the money will be a wise investment

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

There are numerous reasons why one would blink but it is natural reaction protecting the body. You need to train it out of your system.

Create a new habit of not blinking. Practice shooting targets with a snap cap in your gun is one way.

I cant stress enough the effects noise has on our nervous system. The best hearing protection you can get may help. Try earplugs with earmuffs over them and see if you still blink. It will tell you a lot about why you are closing your eyes.

An ill fit stock that raps you in your face particularly on the cheekbone will cause this. Even heavyweight fighters squint or close their eyes when their hit in th head.

I hope this helps

Joe

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

The technical term for it is a flinch. Make sure the gun fits. Use lighter loads. Use better ear protection. Get more weight in the gun. Take your finger off the trigger and "slap" it when you want to shoot.

After all that, get yourself a good release trigger.

Jake

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend money on a shooting clinic until you've fixed the flinch, I have a a trap gun that I flinched Including closing my eyes every time I pulled the trigger. I started reloading lighter loads and the problem was fixed, just need to try the lighter AA's

10. roper

roper TS Member

also, i would try shooting pieces

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

closing eyes when shooting

keep closing eyes when pulling trigger