1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Closest powder to Green Dot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beau69, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

What is the closest powder to Green Dot? It's pretty pricey up in my neck of the woods.
    I know that Promo is basically Red Dot...
    thanks
    Beau

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

International Clays?

3. NO BIRD

NO BIRD TS Member

I'm not sure what you call pricey, but green dot is green dot. Work with a group at your club and buy in quanity. If you like the results you get from green dot, pinch a few more pennies and get the real deal. Be glad you aren't buying PB>

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Either hodgdon international clays or universal clays would make a great replacement for green dot. I use 22.6 grains of universal 1 1/8oz #7.5 nobel primer windjammer wad in a Top Gun hull. I use this shell as a second shot from the 27 yard line when shooting protection programs. It should work very well as a handicap load. BYG

5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Try Clay Dot.It's a little cheaper!

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

International Clays is close, but usually a bit more expensive.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Green should be no more costly than red. Quality wise with respect to patterns at increased yardage, there are no substitutes.

8. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I went from Green Dot to Clays to Clay Dot and was pleased with the performance of each so coming down to cost Clay Dot wins.

9. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Clays and Clay Dot are great, but in a relatively narrow range. Best to use a "slower" powder for 1 1/8th oz loads approaching 1200 fps, which is about where Calys and Clay Dot max out. Look at the PSI ratings in the powder companies manuals and keep it under 10,500 psi. Red Dot and Promo allow slightly higher velocities with slightly less pressure, but Green Dot is made specifically for "hotter" loads. But rather than taking our advice, call Alliant and talk to them to see if Promo can fit your needs...also, be knowledgeable about the variations in pressure that different primers can cause. If you're trying to save a few bucks, I've found that Promo with Cheddite primers for 1 oz #8.5 shot produces a dandy 16 yard load...and the pellet count is almost identical to 1 1/8 th oz. of #8...very economical with excellent performance...and I use a +0.020" choke that smokes targets with this soft-shooting load.

WNCRob

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The closest powder I have found that will equal Green Dot's performance is REX II. Great patterns, light felt recoil, and, best of all, it's still the cheapest powder on the market. I load the same amount of REX II as I did for Green Dot in my handicap loads, and to be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I too vote for Rex II as a Green Dot replacement -- very similar - but it is a bugger to get to drop accurately - tends to change weights about every 10 shells or so because of the dust in it. You will have to weigh, weigh, and then weigh some more, to keep it where you want it. the beav

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I know of nothing that will replace Green Dot for the heavier handicap loads.

Pat Ireland

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

If you think Alliant Green Dot is expensive, check out the price of IMR's PB.

IMO, PB is somewhat similar to Green Dot in that it makes a great handicap load. I used to load a lot of PB until it got to difficult to find. I switched to Green Dot and never looked back.

For me, I like Alliant E3 for 1 oz and Alliant Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz.

Ed Ward

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have found Hodgdon Titegroup to be an excellent powder for 1-1/8 ounce loads in the 1200-ish range.

This powder (I'm told) is very close to what Remington uses in their Nitro 27 factory shells.

15. John55

John55 Active Member

The only powder I prefer over Green Dot is IMR PB, but I quit it years ago due to availability and cost. For 1200+fps with 1-1/8oz loads there just isn't anything better for the same money.

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Pat... Just curious.. How much REX II have you shot in the past? I am also a HUGE Green Dot fan for my handicap loads, but, I'm here to tell you that REX II will perform equally as well as Green Dot will through my Wilkinson tuned barrel. I had my doubts, as you do, but, after trying it for myself, and patterning it, I am now convinced it is as close as anything I have ever run across that shoots as well as Green Dot. It is also a very consistant powder, weighs well, and has thus far maintained velocities that are well within what Green Dot will do. While not made in the USA, which we all know is an important consideration for you, personally, to sell REX II short is doing yourself a considerable dis-service should you find Green Dot hard to come by. I have had excellent results using this powder and have stopped shooting Green Dot almost entirely..... Dan

17. Steven R. Scheib

Steven R. Scheib TS Member

If you can't find Green Dot, then go for PB. They are almost identical in velocity. Usually, Green Dot can be bought for less money!

18. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

there are other powders besides greendot????

tony

19. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Rex II, or...
    Solo 1250

20. gotbass

gotbass Member

Another vote for Rex II

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant green dot availabilities