1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CLOSED Shotguns silenced at Miramar civilian range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Shotguns silenced at Miramar civilian range

By Ed Zieralski

Friday, October 15, 2010 at 2:08 p.m.

Shotguns will stay quiet at the San Diego Shotgun Sports Association’s range at Miramar forever in the wake of a Marine Corps decision to shut the range down. The decision to close it was approved by the Secretary of Navy Ray Mabus.

No one is sure when this decision came down the chain of military command, but Congressman Duncan D. Hunter, D-Lakeside, discovered today that Marine Corps Commandant General James T. Conway recommended the shooting range be closed, and Secretary Mabus approved the recommendation.

Association president Robert Keefe said he couldn’t comment until he confirmed the decision. His Association has leased the range since 2000, but the range has been on the Miramar base (both Navy and Marines) since 1957. The Marines could not be reached for comment, either.

Joe Kasper, spokesman for Hunter, said the Congressman was deeply disappointed with the military’s decision to close the base’s civilian shooting range. San Diego Shotgun Sports Association has been leasing it since 2000. Kasper said Hunter may appeal to Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates on the matter.

“The decision is disappointing on two levels,” Kasper said. “For one, the Marine Corps is showing its willingness to deny families, service members and veterans access to the range. Secondly, the Marine Corps has an opportunity to save over $20 million by allowing the Association to assume the responsibility for cleanup, something it has offered to do, and manage activity on the range. Keeping the range open under this arrangement would have been a win for the Marine Corps, a win for the Association and a win for the community.”

Kasper said what is most frustrating about the Marine Corps decision to boot out the Association from their range is that it will cost the Marines millions and millions of dollars to do environmental studies and then clear out the lead from the range. The Association has a plan in which it will do that at no cost to the military and still get to use the range.

“What’s frustrating is that the Marine Corps is carrying many funding requirements that are focused on things far more important than environmental cleanup,” Kasper said. “It makes no sense to Congressman Hunter – and anyone else paying attention to this issue – why the Marines would choose to spend here and not on what really matters to Marines and their families.”

Kasper said Hunter now will “consider a variety of legislative options to reopen the range and keep it serving the Marine Corps and the community.”

“The time frame for action could be later this year or early next year, but, either way, it’s certainly something he’s committed to doing,” Kasper said.

2. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have a marine buddy that is at that base and he told me they are so enviro crazy that they will not let him drive his CJ Jeep on the base because it is registered in Florida and has not been smoged in California.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Notify the Marine corp that you will urge all ahooters not to participate in toys for tots since they elect to not work with communities on a local level.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

That's right Bulge penalize the kids. That's ranks as one of the dumbest statements of the year.

Don

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

BarrelBulge:

I agree with BigDon. That has to be one of the most insensitive and stupidest statements made on this website. Going to increase my donation to Toys For Tots to offset your ignorance.

DoubleAuto

6. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    How very sad! Many fond memories! My father taught my older brother and I to shoot there. Great times with family and friends. Damn shame! Mike

7. Franktri

Franktri Member

Before I even read the comments, just reading the headline, I knew it had to do with lead and the greening of America. I'm a former Jarhead and it pains me to see this. Most ranges that I know of have to reclaim at least 60% of all lead.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

And wrench what are you going to give other than some dumb ass comment??

Don

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Well BigDon a few people made the comment that you just love to attack people on here and never have anything constructive to say about any post. The only time you comment when you want to try to belittle someone. You must have one hell of an inferiority complex to constantle try to bring evryone down to your level. I don't think you understood wrenchs' comment it was also a slap at me.
    You are one sorry SOB. You have my sympathy.

Double auto you don't have to follow through with a threat you just have to make it and if like the Marines that is their pride you may get results. By the way when I was working my wfe and I contributed a bike every other year to that program through my job. We collected the gifts. Bulge.

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

BarrelBulge:

Already give a substantial donation to Toys For Tots Foundation every year and will increase it this year. Hard to think about a child not getting something for Christmas. There are already enough people who look the other way and don't give due to some silly excuse without some jerk coming along and urging people to not support such a worthy cause. No threat, just positive action. Toys For Tots is the ultimate Marine program of working with the local community.

DoubleAuto

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Here is something to chew on:

If the toy's for tots is that important, then how come our(shooters) tots are not?

When you look at our future as shooters it make perfect sence, we are so easly offended now days because of PC!

I for one am getting tired of "for the children" programs and using them as pawns for our "feel good" motives.

as for the military, they only do what is told them by the higher ranks! IN other words "they follow orders" right or wrong

When was the last time you seen a branch of our military go to one of your school dist. and offer a shooting program(recuritment in not the same). Its for the tots ya know.

We ALL know there are tots(kids) out there, that because of their parents and teachers will never handle a firearm let alone shoot one.

Which in the long run is more important? Teaching them a skill or giving them a toy to play with?

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Timber you are one twisted dude. It's a little tuff getting 3 to 8 year olds out to the range. You may support any charity or group that you choose BUT I also can choose and one my favorites is Toys for Tots along with a couple of youth shooting programs.

Bulge if I did anything to you I would have to bring you UP to my level. I don't attack I merely point out STUPID statements and yours qualified. Nice attempt at trying to talk your way out of the 1st statement, it put a dent in your Mr. Goodguy image. Have a good day and sincerly may your wife have a speedy recovery from her surgery.

Don

13. timberfaller

Don,

You've missed my point completely. Its great you support TFT's. I wasn't condemning them.

If we don't get the youth envolved with shooting sports, we are going to lose all the way around.

Its not tuff to get youngsters to the range, its the parents you have to convince.

If you think its twisted to be concerned about where our youth are headed and why our shooting sports are suffering new shooters - so be it.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Timber I think we are on the same page just saying it different. Recently a small college in MI built a trap range, started a collegiate trap team, 2 youth teams and has begun last summer hosting camps for young people. They teach the constitution, especially the 2nd then they take the kids to the range and let them shoot. Many of these kids had never shot a gun before and went home with a new understanding of their country and firearms. The seed has been planted.

Don

15. timberfaller

Not a problem Don,

That is what makes a debate worthwhile, we find out what others think, even though we talk different.

16. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Back to the subject at hand, this is truly a sad day for trap shooters and skeet shooters. And it is clearly a case of liability. The Marines are limiting their liability in a situation that went on far too long without being intercepted.

Everyone that shoots needs to take note of this situation, and enjoy every minute of shooting freedom that they currently have available to them. As for us San Diegans, we will continue to drive 2 hours each way to be able to shoot in an ATA event for a long time to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.