1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Closed ebay and paypal accounts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet100, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I am not closing my account but I am not even considering ebay for a place to buy goods anymore. I am only keeping my account in case I need the feedback rating or if I were in some kind of a bind for a particular item.

I closed my pay-pal account several years ago.

It's gotten so expensive to list small items, that don't sell for much, it is not worth it to me.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm sure you will be getting an E Mail from them begging to you rethink what you have done and PLEASE come back because their sales dropped off so much ... If you think for one second that you and or 1000 people like you would make enough of a difference in their bottom line you value your business a lot more than they do ... They won't miss you or for that matter even know you are gone which might come as a shock to you ... You will not get enough shooters to band together to make a difference so you will be one of the few missing out, hope you feel better now ... Hell, I bought a Hot Rod for over $20,000 off of EBay and they don't know I exist and I like it that way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote><I>"I know my business doesn't mean spit to them but I told them if they followed through on their new gun parts policy I would close my accounts."</I></blockquote>

So you did exactly what ebay wanted you to do (go away and quit using their service) and you see that as the honorable thing to do?

Mike

4. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Screw 'em. Be nice if everyone could get the wife to do the same...but good luck on that. Getting people to put principle before bargain$ is darn near impossible.

Kudos to you, wire.

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote><I>"There sure seems to be a lot of angst here over a simple post. I wonder why."</I></blockquote>

No angst here, just amusement... and you're taking a condescending robot-generated auto-reply WAY too personally!

Mike

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    wireguy, quote: "There sure seems to be a lot of angst here over a simple post. I wonder why."<br>
    <br>
    It's simple. You're proposing a boycott of anti-gun businesses, and there are some gunowners who feel it is more appropriate to chastise the people doing the boycott because they want to continue doing business with the anti-gun companies.<br>
    <br>
    It makes them nervous to be thought of as lazy, selfish, etc., when in fact it is not possible to boycott every anti-gun business.<br>
    <br>
    Case in point. AOL is anti-gun. But for many years, they were the only game in town, literally, for some people. (That's changed today, and it's a rare person who must rely on AOL.)<br>
    <br>
    Goodyear came up with some anti-gun policies. Gunowners should boycott them as a matter of principle. But there are some small towns where they are the only tire dealer, so it's not practical to boycott them.<br>
    <br>
    The point being made, for those unable to see it, is that we should boycott anti-gun businesses whenever possible, but it is OK not to if there is a legitimate reason to continue patronage.<br>
    <br>
    Some people have to rely on eBay and PayPal to conduct a side business or support a major hobby. That's understandable. What is not proper is to ridicule and slam those who ARE boycotting because you aren't.<br>
    <br>

7. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

What Brian in Oregon said!...Bill

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

wireguy,

Good for you. I did the same thing long time ago because they were anti-gun. People like WPT can send money to people who will use it to take away his guns but they won't get mine.

I went to my Doctor last week and saw a sign on the front door of the office building that sand "No Concealed Handguns Allowed". I completed my scheduled check-up. When we were done he said "should I set up your next appointment?” I told him that wouldn't be necessary because I wouldn't come into a business that had that sign on the door. He explained that he wasn't sure he approved of the sign and he didn't own the building. The owner had put up the sign. I told him that I believed that but none the less if I came back some of the fees I paid him would go to pay the rent and that I wouldn't allow my money to be used to support a political philosophy that was contrary to my way of life. We parted friends but parted none the less. Looking for a new gun-friendly doctor.

jim brown

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I had not looked to see what the change was all about but just for the heck of it I went to sporting good and clicked hunting and there were thousands I repeat thousands of hunting items for sale. I'm in need of a walnut forearm for a model 11 but haven't found one yet but there were hundreds of stock and forearms listed. I also saw several trigger parts etc for sale. Jackie B.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

wireguy

I also try not to patronize any business that is anti-gun. It's sometimes difficult to tell the good guys from the bad, but I do my best. EBay is easy for me to part with as is paypal. I haven't used them for too much and what I got wasn't always needed. I've never sold anything there. Like you, I let a few know the reason why. I've been told several times that I was mistaken, but when I presented the facts they couldn't refute them. Large corporate donations to anti-gun organizatons and none to pro-gun orgs, generally means a bias. Signs on doors and other policies are also indicators. Insurance companies are also guilty (Progressive = Peter Lewis for one). When I can, my money goes to pro-gun or neutral businesses. I'm real sure they all feel it and if you believe that, I have a bridge for sale..........

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have no idea where you people are living but you cannot get away from dealing with certain people who are anti something so like it or not you are the losers ... jim brown won't go to a Doctor who has no control over the building owner putting up a sign against guns on "His" property, well that'll show him and jim loses a good Doctor ... I do not intentionally deal with people and or groups that are anti gun or anti anything else that I use if I can help it but will not get so upset and distraught over it that I will go and piss into the wind about it ...
    I, and many other shooters use aol for internet service for the ease and convenience and have for many years, thats just the way it goes so get over it ... There is no way you will get enough shooters to band together to make a difference to EBay so here again, Hope it makes you feel a little better about yourself because they won't even know you are gone ... I actually buy more things from Amazon.com than I do from EBay but if they have it, and I need it, I will buy it and hope the $1 they make won't be used against me or the $1 I donate to a Pro gun organization will be put to better use against them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have no idea where you people are living but you cannot get away from dealing with certain people who are anti something so like it or not you are the losers ... jim brown won't go to a Doctor who has no control over the building owner putting up a sign against guns on "His" property, well that'll show him and jim loses a good Doctor ... I do not intentionally deal with people and or groups that are anti gun or anti anything else that I use if I can help it but will not get so upset and distraught over it that I will go and piss into the wind about it ...
    I, and many other shooters use aol for internet service for the ease and convenience and have for many years, thats just the way it goes so get over it ... There is no way you will get enough shooters to band together to make a difference to EBay so here again, Hope it makes you feel a little better about yourself because they won't even know you are gone ... I actually buy more things from Amazon.com than I do from EBay but if they have it, and I need it, I will buy it and hope the $1 they make won't be used against me or the $1 I donate to a Pro gun organization will be put to better use against them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I try to buy and sell stuff on TS.com before I go to E-Gay. I think Wireguy knows that E-Gay won't miss him one bit. He's just voting with his wallet and I don't blame him.

14. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

WPT,

I am certainly sorry if protecting freedoms inconveniences you. There are others who have paid a far grater price than inconvenience.

I doubt that Hitler noticed when one of his soldiers fell in battle but he sure as hell noticed when all of them were gone. It is possible to fight without delivering the knock-out blow with the first punch.

jim brown

15. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The day eBay made its announcement, I closed my eBay and PayPal accounts. Just prior to that I advised AARP that I would not renew my membership with them. Does this make a hole in their bottom lines? No. I don't care that it does or doesn't.

eBay and AARP are primarily only interested in their bottom lines, as is the case with all private businesses. They have their standards, and I have mine.

However, since I'm not financially bound to eBay, PayPal, or AARP, for anything, the slight inconvenience is worth it. I had 100% positive feedback, selling and buying. eBay has two sets of standards, and ignores a lot of misdeeds done in other selling catagories. They, like the AARP are situationally ethical, which is an oxymoron.

I expect the same respect for my rights as I extend to others.

Best,
    Dennis

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I agree with the stay away from E-bay folks, are there enough pro gun folks that will take a stand to have that show up at all? probably NOT. but it is a principal thing!

Also:

to me Paypal is a tool to use when there is a trust issue (IE, protecting myself from an unknown maybe Identity stealing seller!!!!)

So why does the ATA use IT?????? is there trust issues here? I always hear they have money issues, so why give a cut away at all!!!!!!!?

just my 2cents

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.