1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Close Call at a So. California Range

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lbshootin, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

We experienced a close call Wednesday morning, Six shooters on the 16 line. A trained RSO operating the range. When the squad rotated to their third station (on the 13th round), the sixth shooter was standing on the 2.5 station. He experienced a HANG FIRE with his Perazzi with a Release trigger. In an effort to clear the round, he brought the muzzle down to about 2 inches from the concrete, when the round discharged into the concrete. He is known for using one of those rubber pads with the magnet, and his intention was to rest the barrel on the pad and then open the gun. The shot splattered on the concrete and sprayed the shooter standing on Station 3 in both legs and left arm. Good thing he was wearing pants..No serious injuries, but it sure could have gone the other way. Story was he did not "count to ten" before lowering the muzzle. And he did not keep the barrel pointed down range. He is shipping his gun off to a local Perazzi gunsmith to verify operation, and he is also sending the remaining shells of the open box for the gunsmith to check the primers...

DOWN RANGE AT ALL TIMES, SAFETY BRIEFING BEFORE SHOOTING, AND A QUALIFIED RSO WATCHING....RULE TO "LIVE BY"...

LB

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

LB, do ya think maybe the shooter caused the "hang fire" with the release trigger? Just a thought. Why were 6 people shooting at once anyway?

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Hang fires are not that unusual and generally ammo related!!

4. trapshootin hippie

I have been shooting since the 50's and have never seen a hang fire as ya call it. Seems that if they are not that unusual, I would have witnessed at least one in all my years.

Gne J

5. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Lets not lose sight of the culprit here. Release trigger/hang fire----don't take a genius.

6. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have seen more accidental discharges with release triggers then with pull triggers.But ya know this did happen in Kalifornia the land of fruits and nuts.Ok not everyone is that way out there.

7. trapshootin hippie

Snap, my thoughts exactly. It wasn't stated that the shooter broke the gun open, disabling the trigger, just that he was gonna rest it on the pad, and THEN open the gun. It seems to me it is the shooters fault, not the gun or ammo.

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

Seems to me like the other common is always with a release trigger. i have seen numerous shells with primer hits,but have never seen one fire after "waiting" a few seconds, i feel like he simply "released" the trigger and wants something else to blame it on but himself.

Bill

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"he is also sending the remaining shells of the open box for the gunsmith to check the primers... "

That ought to be good for a couple laughs.

10. oleolliedawg

My wife had one with a brand new AA Super Handicap a few years ago. A friend of mine had one with a RIO this year at a PA shoot. My wife shoots release, my friend shoots pull and my wife has shot many thousands of targets since with no issues. We used to see a warning regarding keeping the gun pointed downrange in the event of a hangfire.

I'm sure some of our older shooters remember that warning as I believe it was printed on the box but I'm not sure. That's the reason I eject a dud and leave it lay on the ground until the round is over. Much safer than putting it in your pocket!!

11. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Thought at the club was that the problem was the release trigger, and now they are frowned upon by the management, now we gotta prove our expertise with one before we are allowed to use on on the line. Six shooters on the line for a game is quite common, in fact I have seen and shot in Annie Oaklies with more than 20 shooters on the line (27 yd). We also play a "CHIP" game out here, on the 20 yd, with shooters on station one and two, station 3 and 4 split the 3 station, and then shooters on stations four and five. A shooter calls and the secondary shooter shoots at the bird chip... 1-6, 2-5, 3-4....this is a six person game squad! The close call squad were all very veteran shooters, I think the youngest one was 65!..LB

12. oleolliedawg

It sure doesn't seem like anyone here knows what a hangfire really is. Simply stated, the trigger is pulled or released, the hammer falls (goes click), immediate ignition fails, and the gun goes "bang" at a later interval.

What's that got to do with a release trigger!!

13. trapshootin hippie

oleolliedawg, you must not shoot a release, or you would know how it relates. The shooter just let the trigger go before he opened the action. Simple, is it not?

Gne J

14. oleolliedawg

Simple to me but not a "hangfire". I've been shooting a release since 1973 so I can recognize stupidity and I try to use the correct terminology when describing an event. When I saw an individual set his loaded Perazzi on his toe and pull the trigger I wasn't foolish enough to blame the trigger nor call it a "hangfire"!!

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

What happened was a time/warp/density shift. If it is the LB I know, he shoots with experienced people. I have heard of the time/warp/density shift happening near Rosemead and the 60 Fwy. If this happened in California, not "Kalifornia", we are educated out here, it may have been due to rumored experiments north of us at Cal Tech in Pasadena where, I hear, skunk works is developing the perfect trapgun. But this is just a rumor.

Since these rumors are all above my head, and I had something like that happen with a Ljutic hitting a foreign shell; I always keep muzzle pointed downrange for 30 seconds before opening the gun. I don't know what else to do, and safety is always paramount.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Had nothing to do with the type of trigger.... ..If he had just one shell loaded, in order to be a "hangfire", the release, or pull, or whatever, had to have already been "tripped".. sounds like there's "more to this story"

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Just one question if the shooter had a hang fire then he had let go of the trigger ???? When he brings the gun down the trigger is already let off or he did not shoot . trapshootin- hippie you know crap

18. trapshootin hippie

ALF, meeting you was a pleasure. Shooter might have been getting used to the release trigger and pulled it and nothing happened, forgetting that he had to let it go to fire. Was getting ready to put it down on the pad and released a little pressure, causing it to fire. Not enough information to make anything but an eneducated guess here.

Gne J

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

hippie just pulling your chain .

ALF

20. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I havs been a shooter since I was a boy and am now 71 years of age. In that time I have fired no less than 300,000 rounds of centerfire ammunition....handgun, rifle and shotgun.

I have exoerienced perhaps 4 hangfires and all went off within a second of the fireing pin hitting the primer.

In my opinion, many of these so-called hangfires, are mechanical malfuntions of the firearm whereby the trigger does not release the hammer or fireing pin and a subsequent minor movement of the gun causes enough vibration that the fireing pin/hammer falls and off she goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.