1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clogged Shotmaker Drippers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ljutic78s, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

My buddy ran some lead with babbit in it,so we had to remove all the drippers and clean them by hand, then he ran about 50 lb of good lead,but still the drippers are clogging.He had made a 1000 lbs. of good shot before this without a problem,he has a homemade,propane fired mach.Any ideas how to fix this problem??? Thanks John

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Cleaned them, how? Did you ream the inlet hole and the dripper hole?

Buz

3. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Inlet hole,a drill bit Dripper hole, the smooth end of a torch tip cleaner this all is done after melting lead with a propane torch John

4. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

ljutic78s, How did you know it was babbitt lead? I had problems when I ran a lot of ingots that had allot of those square stick on weights. What should have been a hour run with 8 1/2 dripprs end up to be 3 hrs, and ended with 7 1/2 shot. Jim Stewart ran into some big truck wheel weights that had babbit, I think he ended up replacing the drippers, and he told me of another shotmaker that had plugged drippers and he had sent him the right sized drill bit to clean them. 10tenner

5. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

The ingots had a blue tint to them,that none of the other lead had,we have cleaned the drippers twice,can the drippers go bad????? The next step is to replace the drippers,he has 3 sets

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

A bluish/purplish tint can mean a high Linotype content but that should not have caused the problems you are wxperiencing.

Jeff

7. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Heat up the drippers red hot -- If you have a drill bit the right size run it in and out of the drip hole several times -- if you don't a drill bit take a wire brush ( the type used for general cleaning and scraping) and bend over one of the wires at a right angle -- run it in and out several times and it should do the trick -- I have had the same problem with babbit lead and it will clean up -- make sure your lead is hot enough as well -- do you have a purge tool to clean out the drippers when you're running -- it will help keep things running better as well

8. snarepeg

snarepeg TS Member

BEWARE THE WIRE BRUSH, IFF OF ORIENTAL MANUFACTURE THEY CAN BREAK OF IN THE HOLE IF YOU HEAT UP THE DRIPPER. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. JOHN

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I remove the dripper first, hold it in needle nose pliers and heat it up, then whack the pliers on the bench top. This will "jar" a lot of the crap out and make it easier to clean. I used a tip cleaner from my cutting torch to clean the hole out while the dripper is still hot.

10. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

My buddy got his drippers all cleaned out and ran 100lbs. of good lead in his maker and after putting a bigger burner under his ladle things are running well.He's got 300lbs. of the blueish tint/linotype lead that he's afraid to run.Anybody know the ratio of linotype and soft lead that would run size #8 shot???? Or should he just scrap the linotype??? Thanks John

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I ran pure lino for a long time and it worked just like WW's. Made great shot. I used 7½ drippers in a Littleton.

12. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Run 15% bad to good -- same goes for Lead with Babbit

13. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Guppyhead, bought 100# of his shot,best homemade I've seen. It hits 16s hard w/1oz. Haven't used it caps yet. Hey you going to any 3Ds? Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to clean lead shot drippers

lead shot drippers clogging
shot maker dripper