1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clip-on shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grevin, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

I have quite a complicated eyeglass prescription and would prefer to meet my need for tinted shooting glasses by trying a clip-on or slip-over option. Is anyone aware of a quality manufacturer of such a product?

2. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

May not be doable. Shooting glasses are designed to ride high on your face so that you can see below the top of the frame. If your glasses are in a standard location, you'll probably be looking at the frame.

John

3. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Got my Randolph Rx Sporters at "Buffaloarms.com". About $60 a set. Don't waste money on the plastic flipup type that sell for around $10. The clip that holds those ones on seem to migrate into your viewing area. dave

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

At the request of a reader with vision challenges who also wanted to save money on shooting glasses, I did some research on the idea several years ago. I was advised by numerous opticians that multiple layers of lenses can distort and refract the image being viewed. Accordingly, they felt it would not be a viable option for any activity requiring clear and precise viewing of an object.

I recently had an opportunity to see a rifle shooter using clip-on sunglasses over his street glasses at a local gun club's rifle range. After seeing him adjusting the scope on a second rifle, I asked if he had changed anything with the rifles. When he said he hadn't, I told him what I had learned about multiple layers of lenses. He shot both rifles again without the clip-ons and sure enough, he had to readjust his scopes again.

It has something to do with the angles at which light passes through the lenses. I'm told that if you can keep the lenses perfectly vertical and look straight through them, the results are a lot better but I can't see that being very easy with a mounted firearm. The comb would have to be high enough to keep the lenses perpendicular to the gun and then your eye might not be where it has to be with regard to the gun's point of impact. Additionally, your head would have to be positioned so the lenses were "square" to the target. I don't think that's possible.

Ed

5. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I just purchased a set of Ranger Sporter frames, perscription lens and a set of clip ons from Morgan Optical and I could not be happier. I got a 15% yellow tint and anti-glare coating with the frames and vermillion clip ons. The image clarity with the clip ons is excellent and better than anything I have had to date. This color combination really makes target orange stand out. If the optics are well done, I would not expect a big issue with clip ons.

Scott

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm just relating what experts in the field told me. And when you think about the "layering" causing problems, it sure sounds plausible. I'm fighting enough vision problems with NO lenses so I hardly want to contribute to the ordeal.

Ed

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I too use the Randolph Rangers from Morgan Optical and find them very satisfactory.

Robert

8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Av ed,

I believe what you have said to be correct. Thanks for taking the time to share.

9. grl

grl Member

I tried contacts, clip ons, regular glasses, nothing seemed to work. I then bought a pair of Ranger XLW. They have an available clear insert that attaches to the frame that can be ground to your RX. You can then change the outer colored lens to suit the conditions. I think they're great, I don't see any obstruction like I did with the clip ons, and you can have as many different colored lenses as you want without having each one ground.

Guy

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Ranger Rx Sporters with clip-ons work fine for me.

mtatom_2008_030384.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clip on shooting glasses

clip on shooting glasses over prescription
clip on sunglasses for shooting
clip on tinted shooting glasses
orange clip on trap shooting glasses
shooting glasses clip on
sporter ranger flip-up lenses
trap shooting clip on lenses