1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clinics?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When I started shooting ATA in 1968 there were no clinics that I know of, I learned my style by watching the best of the best at that time and I took pointers from each and every one of them and implemented them in my style of shooting, from the best at that time, I watched Britt Robinson intensely
    at the Ohio State and Grand American, along with Larry Grave Stock, Dan Orhlic,
    Bueford Bailey at Camp Troy, and at the Grand, Kay Ohye, Gene Sears, John Sternberger, just to name a few, it has paid off.

The most important thing I learned was gun fit, my LOP is 14"inches-14 1/4"inches, and Zero Pitch. I rifle sight my gun sights, Middle Bead Buried in the Front Bead, Flat Down The Rib and 120%+ high.

And I kept shooting a gun with higher and higher POI until got to where I shoot today, I learned early to not let the bird peak before you shoot.

You must be able to shoot a target on the rise, and the hold points on the trao house, and the elevation of the hold point, that provides consistency.

See the target before moving the gun. Concentration, Concentration.

ATA style of shooting carried over to the Games and Calcuttas.

Learned this #8s from the 16s and 7.5s for handicaps. 2 3/4 dram 8s for 16s and 3 dram 1200 fps 7.5s for all handicaps.

And specially loaded shells for the games, #6s for shoot offs, really fast #6s for the long shoot offs.

I shoot full choke for everything.

If you have any questions PM me.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

I agree with you It takes a long time to learn it yourself I also shoot a seitz about 120 % high with a little gap between the beads if I look at them,so my gun probaly shoots alittle higher,I used to hold a low gun but now I hold about 36" above the house and never look at my gun just at the target coming out of the house I look through my gun and it shoots where I LOOK,shooting on paper makes you hit the paper LOOKING at the target makes you hit the target with less upward movement more lateral,I wish I would have done this years ago,but works for one person dosen't always work for another I started in 1975,The most important thing is to get a stock that fits you and its 99% mental you and the target you don't shoot against other people you shoot against your mind that trys to talk you out of shooting a good score,Dan I saw britt Dan Gene Sears Steve Carmichael Never seen Larry shoot But heard he shot faster than Britt,Britt impressed me the most,Leo's DVD helped me the most out of all the ones I own Bueford Bailey whas a hell of a shooter also,John Hall too,its a mental game,but you need to have your game plan worked out and think of looking at the target before you call for your target you cant think of anything except ,looking for the target when you call for it,I agree with what you said,Dan Drainer

3. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

running bear,

I do not think Dr Longshot was trying to give anybody a lesson.

I think he was just trying to explain some of the things he has observed over his lifetime of shooting trap.

I do not think any of us are to old to learn something new.

But, that could just be how I see it.

Ron Burdick

4. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

I thought shooting any shot size larger than 7.5 was not legal at most clubs. Loading 6 shot for games would put one at an unfair advantage would it not. Anyone willing to shoot Bunker targets from the 27 yard line with 24gram loads could not need 6 shot for friendly ATA games and Calcuttas. Please explain? I am disappointed.

PS Yes, before you ask Gary..I have shot plenty of games mostly with cheap Walmart Federals and done fairly well.

Regards, Joe

5. philk

philk Member

Joe, When your shooting games at a local club it is local rules only, ATA rules don`t apply unless the locals want them to.

6. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Joe, we shoot games at private clubs weekly and an ounce and quarter of fives or sixs are needed to be competive, otherwise you are the one that has an unfair disadvantage. A fast load of sevens is a good all around load, but when they start backing up during eliminations yo better have something to reach out there too! Like Philly said these are local rules!

7. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

I understand local rules and appreciate your imput. Just asking a question. I have shot some games at various clubs and have never needed more than a standard 7.5 1 1/8 oz load. But what ever you guys enjoy have at it. Not trying to change things its your game.

Joe

8. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I just saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to Geico.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

ED C I did that 5 years ago too, and they have lowered their cost twice since.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

That's a good looking yotie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best trap clinics

trapshooter clinic